NFL Fantasy Cheat Sheet - Saints Def rating (1 Viewer)

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is not meant to be a "no respek" thread, just a puzzling ranking from a fantasy league app. They have the Saints defense as their 19th defense. After looking into it, they are projecting our defense to drop significantly from last season:

Saints 2013 season
Pts. 292, Yds. 4,891, INT 12, FR 7, Sacks 49

Saints 2014 projected season
Pts. 419, Yds. 6,416, INT 14, FR 8, Sacks 39

Yeah, it's just projections and fantasy league based, but I guess they feel last season was an anomaly. Some of their rankings/projections are questionable, but overall generally solid. Even if teams catch on to Ryan's system and we aren't top 5 next year, I just don't see the logic in those projections.

FYI, here's there rankings according to VBD (Value based):
Rnd 4 - Seahawks
Round 7 - 49ers, Panthers
Round 8 - Rams
Round 9 - Bengals, Cardinals, Broncos, Chiefs
Round 10 - Patriots
Round 11 - Texans, Bills
Round 12 - Titans, Browns, Bears
Round 13 - Redskins
Round 14 - Packers, Buccanneers, Giants
Round 15 - Saints, Chargers, Vikings

Oh well, it's still a handy tool.

This is not meant to be a "no respek" thread, just a puzzling ranking from a fantasy league app. They have the Saints defense as their 19th defense. After looking into it, they are projecting our defense to drop significantly from last season:

Saints 2013 season
Pts. 292, Yds. 4,891, INT 12, FR 7, Sacks 49

Saints 2014 projected season
Pts. 419, Yds. 6,416, INT 14, FR 8, Sacks 39

Yeah, it's just projections and fantasy league based, but I guess they feel last season was an anomaly. Some of their rankings/projections are questionable, but overall generally solid. Even if teams catch on to Ryan's system and we aren't top 5 next year, I just don't see the logic in those projections.

FYI, here's there rankings according to VBD (Value based):
Rnd 4 - Seahawks
Round 7 - 49ers, Panthers
Round 8 - Rams
Round 9 - Bengals, Cardinals, Broncos, Chiefs
Round 10 - Patriots
Round 11 - Texans, Bills
Round 12 - Titans, Browns, Bears
Round 13 - Redskins
Round 14 - Packers, Buccanneers, Giants
Round 15 - Saints, Chargers, Vikings

Oh well, it's still a handy tool.

im guessing most leagues basis for defensive points are "pts allowed" ...which they have an increase of roughly 127 for the Saints. Thats about 8.0 per game more.

Yeah i dont see us allowing 1 td per game more thru 16 games.

im guessing most leagues basis for defensive points are "pts allowed" ...which they have an increase of roughly 127 for the Saints. thats about 8.0 per game more. Yeah i dont see us allowing 1 td per game more thru 16 games.

In our leagues, the biggest producer of DST points are turnover, sacks, defensive TDs and special team TDs. In the past few years, we have been lame in turnovers, special team TDs and defensive TDs.

You can almost always make a case for regression to the mean. It's one reason why Brees will probably outperform Manning this year. His mean is simply higher over the past 5 years. I'm sure most pundits think last year was the outlier for the Saints' defense.

They could be right, but I actually think we will see improvement at 3 safety spots, 3 CB spots, 2 LB spots, and across the DLine as well. ILB is the only spot that I think the D will not improve significantly at. And they may even improve slightly, given the 2nd season in Ryan's system.

Grab the Saints' D late. It will be worth it against the OLines in the NFC South.

Any site recommending you pick up a D/ST before the last round can safely be ignored.

You can almost always make a case for regression to the mean. It's one reason why Brees will probably outperform Manning this year. His mean is simply higher over the past 5 years. I'm sure most pundits think last year was the outlier for the Saints' defense.

They could be right, but I actually think we will see improvement at 3 safety spots, 3 CB spots, 2 LB spots, and across the DLine as well. ILB is the only spot that I think the D will not improve significantly at. And they may even improve slightly, given the 2nd season in Ryan's system.

Grab the Saints' D late. It will be worth it against the OLines in the NFC South.

I can see us dropping some, but that is pretty extreme for yards and pts per game. But, if anything, this defense is poised to get better. Lots of youth just hitting their stride.

Any site recommending you pick up a D/ST before the last round can safely be ignored.

It's actually a $5 app that is pretty good. You can put in your league's scoring system and it will rank accordingly. Put in your multiple teams and scoring systems. Run mock drafts. It updates several times daily. etc.

As JG used to say, Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Attachments

• shh.jpg
    shh.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 218

Seattle is worth a 7th/8th round flyer, I wouldn't pick any other defense higher than the 12th though.

DST is an underrated position in FFL. A great defense, if you get one, can be the difference between winning a championship or not. Seattle was money last year. Double digit points virtually every week.

Would you rather a stud defense that will start for you virtually every week or some (fantasy) scrub W/R/T that will be cut three weeks into the season for the inevitable emerging player(s) on the waiver wire?

As for the Saints' ranking on this app, it seems pretty consistent with all other rankings I've seen. Us fans know our defense is legit, but it isn't common knowledge just yet in fantasy world. The Saints D will be a steal.

We didn't produce enough turnovers though, and that's what they're going by. In fact, the Saints were the only team in the NFL that didn't have either a defensive TD or a special teams TD. I think the law of averages comes back with a vengeance this year on that however.

Seattle is worth a 7th/8th round flyer, I wouldn't pick any other defense higher than the 12th though.

DST is an underrated position in FFL. A great defense, if you get one, can be the difference between winning a championship or not. Seattle was money last year. Double digit points virtually every week.

Would you rather a stud defense that will start for you virtually every week or some (fantasy) scrub W/R/T that will be cut three weeks into the season for the inevitable emerging player(s) on the waiver wire?

As for the Saints' ranking on this app, it seems pretty consistent with all other rankings I've seen. Us fans know our defense is legit, but it isn't common knowledge just yet in fantasy world. The Saints D will be a steal.

We didn't produce enough turnovers though, and that's what they're going by. In fact, the Saints were the only team in the NFL that didn't have either a defensive TD or a special teams TD. I think the law of averages comes back with a vengeance this year on that however.

This is the correct answer. Saints D in the 15th may very well be a steal.

If you had perfect future vision, you would be completely wrong about this. One of the biggest gaps between points scored from 1st to 12th by position is DST.

The problem though is the position (as a Fantasy Scored Position) is nigh impossible to predict.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom