Saints NFL Films did a nice, short tribute to Saints (K) Tom Dempsey (...must have in your archives) (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Short, but packed with some "inside scoop" on what the players were thinking and feeling before and during that game vs. the Lions. It was also a nice touch on sharing Tom Dempsey's thoughts about his family (classy journalism). :9:

For you younger WhoDats, this was probably the most exciting win in the Saints' first 10 yrs.

Enjoy.

Footnote: Rumor has it that this game set the attendance record in New Orleans. That's because AFTER the game, over 250,000 fans claimed that they were in the stands at old Tulane Stadium... for that game! :hihi:

I have his signed helmet next to my bed. Growing up he was always one of my favorite former saints players. I was always inspired by him making that kick with only a club foot. RIP Tom

I have his autograph in my copy of the Wayne Mack-authored “Saga of the Saints” book. In the early 2000s, I worked for about a year where Dempsey worked, hence my access to him. He was as nice a guy as you could meet. Rest in continual peace, Tom Dempsey.

My favorite chldhood Saint played a key role in setting up the kick...Al Dodd. Great video...thanks for posting!
Yep. That one pass from Kilmer to Dodd on the Saints sideline. Our tickets were in the end zone behind the kick. There was a guy sitting in front of us who aggravated us all game just pulling for scores on his pool. He left after the Lions scored late thinking he had won the 4th quarter. So glad my dad never let us leave early, no matter how badly we were getting skunked. It paid off that game!

That video lead me to this one which is kinda funny, but it also has video of the kick from an angle I've never seen .

That video lead me to this one which is kinda funny, but it also has video of the kick from an angle I've never seen .

Which then lead me to this video about barefoot kickers. What a strange youtube rabbithole to go down :hihi: anyway the last barefoot field goal to date was kicked by the Rams kicker against the Saints in 1990.

Yep. That one pass from Kilmer to Dodd on the Saints sideline. Our tickets were in the end zone behind the kick. There was a guy sitting in front of us who aggravated us all game just pulling for scores on his pool. He left after the Lions scored late thinking he had won the 4th quarter. So glad my dad never let us leave early, no matter how badly we were getting skunked. It paid off that game!

Yep. My dad would never leave early either, thank god.

We were at the 10-yard line on the visitors side, but you could see the refs throw their hands in the air.

To this day, I can't watch the video with the Al Wester call without getting a huge, huge lump in my throat.

RIP to a real Saint.

Yep. My dad would never leave early either, thank god.

We were at the 10-yard line on the visitors side, but you could see the refs throw their hands in the air.

To this day, I can't watch the video with the Al Wester call without getting a huge, huge lump in my throat.

RIP to a real Saint.
Haha, in that case you must have been there for 62-7, in the blazing heat, which is the first thing I thought of when the clock went to 00:00 in Miami. And also Archie's first (?) game and the questionable TD to win (again, in the opposite end zone from us, although I'll still swear that he got in until the day I die!). And a miserable loss to the 49ers in the rain. And a 20-17 win over Bud Grant's Vikings on a gloomy day. And the black helmet pre-season night game. And poor, beat-up Archie signing autographs for the same kids week after week.

So many great Tulane Stadium memories. I may have some of the details mis-memorized after all these years but, as wonderful as the many Superdome memories are, there was just something magical about being a kid at Tulane Stadium before, during and after Saints games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom