NFL Free Agency 2017: Saints should target Melvin Ingram as a top priority (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
fa.gif

By Kevin Skiver -- CSC

This is a phenomenal draft class for edge rushers, but the Saints’ defensive needs run beyond rushing the QB. They need a player that can defend the run, read an offense and make plays away from the ball. Chargers’ free agent Melvin Ingram is that player, and the Saints should pay the man this offseason.

The Saints have just shy of $30 million to spend in their 2017 offseason. After years of piddling around with contracts and tweaks and restructures, they’re finally going into a free agency with money to spend. Obviously, there are some players to re-sign that put a bit of a black eye on that number (read: Nick Fairley), but it’s nice to feel relatively secure heading into free agency for once.

With that security, however, comes an entirely new host of questions. Who to spend money on being the predominate one? The Saints have oft talked about adding an edge player this offseason; in a league dominated by pressuring the quarterback who doesn’t need one? With this in mind, New Orleans should focus in on Chargers’ free agent Melvin Ingram.

Full Story -- CSC

Been beating the drum for ingram for awhile. He can set the edge and get after the qb. Plus if kikaha comes back u can play him at end and move cam to 3 tech and rankins to 1 tech on paas rush situations.

Sign ingram and aj bouye and use the rest on a guard.

Draft bpa

Game, set, match.

Championship.

I like Ingram and Nick Perry, too, for that matter. And to be clear, I'm in no way against dropping a ton of loot on Ingram. But I do think that the answer to the pass rush problems is in the draft. This class is fat w/Edge rushers, the speed rush types, in particular. I think a true speed rusher is what we need to pair w/Cam to take the D to next level. Look at what Beasley's speed does for the Losers. That's a dude who's shot out of a cannon fast attacking edge. We've never had that in all of Payton's year.

I like Ingram a lot, he's def a pressure player from wherever he's lined up. I actually think he's even more explosive coiled up, flying out of a 3Pt stance, like he did when he was at SCar. But he def wont be cheap and he does have a bit of a durability issue.

I think another option would be to target a guy like Elvis Dumervil. He's basically a more battle tested version of Ingram. He was hurt at the beginning of the year, but Dumervil came back and ended the season strong. Plus he'd be way cheaper, he offers a ton vet experience for the young guys, and he still has a lot left as a pass rusher.

I'd rather see us go in on the best available OG and OT in FA. Maybe grab a play maker back and/or a CB like Logan Ryan. I just like the Pass Rushers in this draft a little bit more than I like the idea of us shelling out big loot to sign Melvin Ingram. Especially when someone like Dimervil's also on the market.

Ideal fit opposite Cam Jordan, and of all this year's FAs, he's probably the guy I'd want most. Would allow the Saints to go elsewhere early in the draft and maybe take another pass rusher mid-late.

I like him much more than JPP.

It's not just about sacks. He's a pressure machine. He had 72 pressures last year (6th in the league) and he's just now entering his prime.

Been beating the drum for ingram for awhile. He can set the edge and get after the qb. Plus if kikaha comes back u can play him at end and move cam to 3 tech and rankins to 1 tech on paas rush situations.

Sign ingram and aj bouye and use the rest on a guard.

Draft bpa

Game, set, match.

Championship.

I like your idea, but do you think about Dre Kirkpatrick?

I like him much more than JPP.

It's not just about sacks. He's a pressure machine. He had 72 pressures last year (6th in the league) and he's just now entering his prime.

That and the Nolan connection make it a no brainier.

A lot of people are seeing 30 mill and not realizing that there are about a million ways to utilize that on players you think will be around for a while.

I see a few big contracts with large singing bonuses incoming.

Really great detailed read on his strengths and weaknesses. His strengths highly outweigh his weaknesses so I'd say if we've got a real shot at signing him, go for it.

I just don't want to overpay anyone. That's one of the big reasons we've been in this dead money hell. I'd rather go a step or two down as opposed to the big name free agents.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm afraid his cost is going to be way too high. With a draft deep on edge rushers, I would not overpay.

Great write up by our guy Kevin. I was on the fence about Ingram, but this teetered my offer. Now my only qualm left is the price tag.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom