N/S NFL general manager: Cam Newton's decline is 'evident' (1 Viewer)

Time catches up to all of us. He had some very impressive and highlight worthy plays, but that is the downside to that particular playstyle. Fun to watch, at times. But, it would appear that his time is up.

In 9 years he has only completed 60% of his passes 3 times.

Newton is a perfect example of being spoon
fed most of his life. He was always the biggest and the fastest kid when he was growing up but he was never or very seldom ever coached up. Coaches always looked at him as a superior athlete (which he was) and that almost always bought him a pass when coaching and life lessons and a work ethic would have served him better.

Great athlete but his QB mechanics always left something to be desired.

I never thought he'd have a long successful career. He'd be good for a couple years early on when he hadn't taken a huge beating. But those shots have left him worn down. The more he needs to rely just on his arm, the worse he'd be.

This is a familiar story. QBs who were able to rely on their running ability to get through HS and college seldom transition to success in the NFL. Mostly that's the fault of their coaches. They use these kids knowing that they don't really need to teach them the skills they'll need at the next level.

Every now and then you'll get a guy like Vick or Newton who are so talented that they're able to get by in the NFL on talent alone. Then age and wear and tear takes away those abilities. Sadly by then it's too late to try to learn the skills it takes to beat teams with their arms.

That does seem to be changing though.

He was always a marginal QB in the NFL. He definitely has an over inflated ego that was puffed up by the Carolina organization, media, & his hanger ons. Today's NFL is QB dependent. Starting QBs we see today would not have made it a generation ago.

Last edited:
I'll be the first to say I banged the drum that it was clear his body was breaking down on him the last two years, which is sad. He's an extraordinary talent.

But for him not to have a job is ludicrous. Much, much...MUCH lesser QBs get offers. There's no reason why one team out there won't take a flier out on him. Unless his camp is being stubborn and saying he won't be a backup anywhere, which he has every right to declare. But if no team is signing him just because they think he's finished, that's absolutely silly when Nathan Peterman continues to get employed.

I'll be the first to say I banged the drum that it was clear his body was breaking down on him the last two years, which is sad. He's an extraordinary talent.

But for him not to have a job is ludicrous. Much, much...MUCH lesser QBs get offers. There's no reason why one team out there won't take a flier out on him. Unless his camp is being stubborn and saying he won't be a backup anywhere, which he has every right to declare. But if no team is signing him just because they think he's finished, that's absolutely silly when Nathan Peterman continues to get employed.
Might be a money thing.

Cam was never a great thrower of the football. He always struggled with his short-intermediate throws.

What made Cam so dangerous was his size and athleticism. It has been proven that while that style can be effective, it just doesn't play for long. You end up taking to many unnecessary hits, and that ends up taking a toll on the body.

He should have focused a lot more on his technique and footwork when he was younger. So that he could have adapted when his body and athleticism started to dwindle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom