N/S NFL general manager: Cam Newton's decline is 'evident' (2 Viewers)

If Cam can't be a major rushing threat anymore, than he is finished

He was always a marginal passing QB and part of the success he had was defenses spying on him to stop the run. If defenses no longer need to key on that, then he is pretty much worthless as a QB unless he is willing to take near league minimum and I doubt his ego or his wardrobe will go for that

I don't buy it and I have my thoughts about it. All I know is 2 old quarterbacks whose stats also show that they have been taking a nose dive just got contracts for $25 mil per (even though Rivers' is for one year). Statically, Cam had a better year missing 2 games in 2018 than he did playing the full season in 2017. It is what it is.

I'll be the first to say I banged the drum that it was clear his body was breaking down on him the last two years, which is sad. He's an extraordinary talent.

But for him not to have a job is ludicrous. Much, much...MUCH lesser QBs get offers. There's no reason why one team out there won't take a flier out on him. Unless his camp is being stubborn and saying he won't be a backup anywhere, which he has every right to declare. But if no team is signing him just because they think he's finished, that's absolutely silly when Nathan Peterman continues to get employed.

Peterman is willing to take a back up job. Newton has made it clear that he only wants a starter job.

Peterman is willing to take a back up job. Newton has made it clear that he only wants a starter job.
It makes you wonder where Jameis might be if he had played the same card. :unsure:
I suppose that due to his age and physical abilities he would have been given a legitimate shot at becoming a starter somewhere.
But it seems unlikely that he would have signed with the Saints.

Too many factors against him currently

Injuries , league offices closed and last public exposure I recall him getting was the cigar and wine video

if added to that he wants to start as a condition he isn’t helping himself

I don't remember if I posted it here, but there is a theory I have been having for a long time now - running QBs at the NFL level are going to age at the same rate as running backs do. They're taking just as much of a pounding as anyone on the field, and their tread will go low fairly early.

I am not shocked at all that the age of 30 is when a guy like Cam Newton begins to fall off. You can't run QB draws and zone read keepers regularly at the NFL level and expect to play at a high level until you're 38, which is the historical age most QB greats fall off except for a highly exceptional few.

I don't remember if I posted it here, but there is a theory I have been having for a long time now - running QBs at the NFL level are going to age at the same rate as running backs do. They're taking just as much of a pounding as anyone on the field, and their tread will go low fairly early.

I am not shocked at all that the age of 30 is when a guy like Cam Newton begins to fall off. You can't run QBs draws and zone read keeper regularly at the NFL level and expect to play at a high level until you're 38, which is the historical age most QB greats fall off except for a highly exceptional few.
I agree that a running QB ages more like running backs than QBs. A football player like anyone else tends to lead everything with his dominate side for QBs their throwing arm. They will run, roll out, & throw towards their throwing arm, typically. A runner will take a hit more on his dominate side. It's just natural to lean like that. If you are right handed you tend to push with your right side & usually have more strength on that side. The throwing shoulder for running QBs tends to take a beating over a season therefore shorting their careers.

The QB position is so much more about brains then brawn. Cam is one of the least accurate passers I have watched. Even all those rookie back up QBs that came in an won games against our porous defenses were more accurate. Cam is live with sword, die with the sword type guy. Give him and excellent D and running game and he's serviceable, but still a MeShow.

I am not shocked at all that the age of 30 is when a guy like Cam Newton begins to fall off. You can't run QBs draws and zone read keeper regularly at the NFL level and expect to play at a high level until you're 38, which is the historical age most QB greats fall off except for a highly exceptional few.
Seems to me that wear and tear on a running QB would be even worse than would be the case for a RB. The RB ordinarily gets a break once in a while, whereas the QB is involved in virtually every play. The QB doesn't block much (or recover fumbles :hihi: ), but QBs who run a lot put a lot of pressure on themselves.

Cam Newton's biggest weapon has always been his body. He could absorb hits, break tackles or simply out run defenders. He gave defenses fits because they couldn't bring him down. If he can't or is scared to use his body, that renders him mostly ineffective. He's never been a highly accurate passer.

He has always been a big physical runner with a huge arm, but sporadic accuracy. He is RGIII with a frame that was built to hold up a little longer, but break out that ability to run the ball and he is not an NFL QB.

People may flame me, but I think it will eventually be the downfall of Lamar Jackson. I understand why people won’t say it about the reigning MVP, but that style of play is not meant for longevity. It’s why I’m apprehensive about Taysom Hill as the QBOTF for New Orleans. These waves of QBs with elite mobility have a shelf like of about 2-3 seasons. Cam’s was a little longer because he’s built like a linebacker.

I'll be the first to say I banged the drum that it was clear his body was breaking down on him the last two years, which is sad. He's an extraordinary talent.

But for him not to have a job is ludicrous. Much, much...MUCH lesser QBs get offers. There's no reason why one team out there won't take a flier out on him. Unless his camp is being stubborn and saying he won't be a backup anywhere, which he has every right to declare. But if no team is signing him just because they think he's finished, that's absolutely silly when Nathan Peterman continues to get employed.

There are two roads to take....you can hold on to your ego and get left standing as an unemployed "starting" QB, or you can go the Bridgewater / Winston route by being humble and re-invent yourself by backing up a successful organization.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom