N/S NFL general manager: Cam Newton's decline is 'evident' (1 Viewer)

One of the few QBs I ever saw during the game on the sideline pretty much never looking at pictures on the bench. Just sitting there with a towel over his head.

When he failed to dive on the ball in the Super Bowl, that was an astonishing tell.

Credit for that one amazing year, but that was the peak.

Anyone want to make a guess at where he'll eventually sign? I really can't think of any team I can see signing him. Broncos?

There are two roads to take....you can hold on to your ego and get left standing as an unemployed "starting" QB, or you can go the Bridgewater / Winston route by being humble and re-invent yourself by backing up a successful organization.
But this is what I'm not getting. Bridgewater, I understand his situation, as he was out of football for a minute, but Cam and Jameis (although they played in the division) should have to take those 2 roads when lesser QBs aren't. Again, back to the Colts; if we take a step back and look at the season, it is no reason Jacoby B. shouldn't be starting. Starts off hot until weapons started to get injured. Again, it is what it is.

Most quarterbacks lose mobility as they age but aren't said to be *in decline" until their arm strength diminishes.

Cam can still throw the same ole 60 yard wounded duck he always has. Would any other quarterback be called in decline under the same conditions?

Anyone want to make a guess at where he'll eventually sign? I really can't think of any team I can see signing him. Broncos?
I can't either. For a backup QB he brings too much attention. I don't see any team signing him until they get an injury to thier starting QB.

a career completion rate of 59.7 percent doesn't get it done in today's NFL. Cams legs are finished and the game has changed a lot since his 2015 MVP season. An offense now relies heavily on a QB who can release the ball quickly on short accurate strikes.

I don't buy it and I have my thoughts about it. All I know is 2 old quarterbacks whose stats also show that they have been taking a nose dive just got contracts for $25 mil per (even though Rivers' is for one year). Statically, Cam had a better year missing 2 games in 2018 than he did playing the full season in 2017. It is what it is.

And what exactly is it? This really isn't a complicated situation. Cam was dangerous because of his size and running ability. As Saints fans we have dogged him a lot over the years but the man ran hard. Near the goal line he was Bronko Nagurski. Just couldn't stop him.

But as dangerous as he was as a runner, he was a liability in other areas of playing the position. He only completed 60% of his passes 3 times in his career. So what do you do with an inaccurate running QB who can't run anymore? You let someone else sign him.

This is a funny thread. So quick to talk about the limitations of another team's QB who thrived on his athletic ability but some turn around and talk about tremendous potential of our very own.
The moral of the story is timeless: you can't make it as a long term QB if you can't do it from the pocket.

This is a funny thread. So quick to talk about the limitations of another team's QB who thrived on his athletic ability but some turn around and talk about tremendous potential of our very own.
The moral of the story is timeless: you can't make it as a long term QB if you can't do it from the pocket.
The tremendous potential of our very own isn't showing any signs that he's declining. If anything, he's gotten better and better the more he's played. And most who think he's the future at QB also think he'll only last a few years if he plays the position like he has thus far.

The tremendous potential of our very own isn't showing any signs that he's declining. If anything, he's gotten better and better the more he's played. And most who think he's the future at QB also think he'll only last a few years if he plays the position like he has thus far.
I agree. I think that's why he's not really the backup, and his snaps behind center are relatively small. He's under the same pressure and warnings athletic QBs are, so he needs to get the pocket stuff down quick.

I agree. I think that's why he's not really the backup, and his snaps behind center are relatively small. He's under the same pressure and warnings athletic QBs are, so he needs to get the pocket stuff down quick.
At least we'll get to see him from the pocket a good bit in pre-season. He was leaps and bounds better last pre-season than he was the one prior. If he manages to make the same improvement, he should be pretty good from the pocket. I'd really like to see him run some with the ones so we can see how good/bad he is with someone other than bubble players for his options and protection.

In 2018 before his shoulder injury, he had a completion percentage of nearly 70% and nearly 2:1 ratio on TDs to INTs

In 2019 he was coming off the shoulder surgery and injured his foot in preseason so it really isnt fair to judge

What is holding him back (IMO) is that he wont accept a backup position and nobody is going to sign him to starter money without a full medical evaluation...after all Carolina did cut him

Even if he is back to 2018 form, the pandemic has prevented him from showing it

I don't buy it and I have my thoughts about it. All I know is 2 old quarterbacks whose stats also show that they have been taking a nose dive just got contracts for $25 mil per (even though Rivers' is for one year). Statically, Cam had a better year missing 2 games in 2018 than he did playing the full season in 2017. It is what it is.
yeah, but what about 19?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom