NFL might ban long hair (merged) (1 Viewer)

There's a reason that you see long hair on more defensive guys. They don't handle the ball that much. MM, Polamalu, Al Harris all come to mind. Most of the runners, receivers, and QB's already keep their hair short or get it into their helmets. On the offense, I remember that Turley had long hair, but he was on the line.

So for offense, it's really already a de facto rule. If Reggie or Drew had long hair that allowed them to get tackled from behind, we'd all be screaming for Payton to make them cut it.

Can you imagine Drew getting ready to throw the pass that will get us into the playoffs and he gets sacked because of his hair?

Last edited:
These players get paid millions of NFL dollars, they should do whatever the NFL tell them to do, if the commissioner pulls down his pants and tell them all pucker up and get to kissin they better get the good chap stick out and get them lips good and ready.

I agree, but sometimes the best rule is no rule.

Let them wear hair as long as they want to. If they get pulled down by the locks, tough toenails. If their hair covers their number on a penalty play, the officials can tack on another 5 yard penalty for obscuring their number. (there are already improper uniform rules)

I guarantee you, it would instantly become a non issue.

what a non issue. i think they should be more concerned with how loose guys wear their helmets these days. i haven't wore a football helmet in a long time, but i remember leaving it on on the sidelines a lot just because it was a pain to pry it off, now someone loses a helmet every other play. maybe its the way they are designed now, but it seem unsafe.

Hey... you can be fined for putting tiny little momentos and such, like when someone wants to honor someone; you can be fined for wearing any apparell not pre-approved by the League. In the scope of being uniform-- in the explicit meaning of the word-- anything deviating from the "zerox" identical copy that each player displays should be illegal. Put your hair in a net or something just keep it from flying all over the place while you are trying to turn and locate the ball, or dodge tacklers.
BTJMT

what a non issue. i think they should be more concerned with how loose guys wear their helmets these days. i haven't wore a football helmet in a long time, but i remember leaving it on on the sidelines a lot just because it was a pain to pry it off, now someone loses a helmet every other play. maybe its the way they are designed now, but it seem unsafe.

Maybe they aren't wearing them that loose, and that's just how hard the hits can be.

yes, it is...It's not your identity and it's not "the man" keeping you down. It's just hair. So cut it and look like the rest of us stiffs that work in the regular world.

bahhahaha...seriously?

You sound miserable about this. :hihi:

Does anyone else think that maybe they are looking at the rule for safety's sake? Do you know why there's a facemask rule? It's because when a guy who can bench-press 400+ pounds pulls a 200+ pound running back or wide receiver down by his facemask transfers all his momentum to torque on the guys neck. You could instantly cripple or snap the guys neck! Pulling on a guy's hair is essentially the reverse of puling him down by his facemask.. and you're stopping him in full momentum by bending his neck backward! In case you haven't noticed, RB's and WR's don't wear that pad behind their helmets to protect against those types of injuries. Or should we just wait until the first time someone gets crippled from a hair tackle? That sound better? So we don't step on their rights?

has anyone in the nfl gotten tackled by their hair? haven't heard or seen it (or haven't paid attention)

KC is the team trying to do it. Collective Bargaining Agreement prohibits such a rule without union approval

I believe the rule they made was...if you have long hair you CAN be tackled by it...thus promoting players to not have long hair, but not forcing a cut on them either

You are correct. I believe that they consider the long hair part of the uniform, that is why players can be tackled by it.

Goodell didn't propose this. While using your own life, feel free to read the article as well. :shrug:

I did read the article. At the end of the day, Goodell is the one with the real power, let's face it.

Or should we just wait until the first time someone gets crippled from a hair tackle? That sound better? So we don't step on their rights?

Yes, it does sound better, anything should be done to protect and individual's rights. It's their hair, on their body. They pay to keep it long, they pay to wash it, they pay to deal with it. It's how they want to wear their hair for whatever reason, so why shouldn't they be able to? I've not heard a player complain about being tackled by his hair, however to be honest the new rule is something they'll never get done without an agreement from the players union.

Also the Idea of injuries is pretty ridiculous, you have much more control over someone's neck from a face mask than you do from grabbing their hair from behind, AFTER they have already passed you in the first place. At the very worst they might get a couple bald spots now and then but that's hardly life threatening is it?

Perhaps you think the NFL should switch to communism and **** off player rights altogether then? I mean honestly the whole idea is like a nagging, nit-picking step-mother telling you what to do all the time, and when you satisfy her, she thinks of something else to moan about.

This is an free country and until that changes, all civilians can, should, and will wear their hair however they like to.

I have to side with the league on this one. From a coaches standpoint it has to be concerning when you pay a player tons of money, earns a starting position because of his skills and can't make a play because his hair is blocking his view. I can remember John Madden pointing this out during a game, and I believe it was on MM, where they showed the replay and his hair was completely covering his face. Can't focus on what you can't see. I know it doesn't happen on every play but they have enough obsticales to contend with. IMO, cut the hair to a reasonable length then after the Superbowl you can go to your favorite beauty salon and get those extensions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom