NFL/NBA now have a Donald Sterling problem with Gayle Benson (1 Viewer)

Whats you guys thoughts on the Mannings possibly purchasing the franchise if Tom is in a situation to sell?

Every person named manning in the country could probally put all their wealth together and still not afford the team.

Looking at a few of the biggest fantasy football boards around and this hasn't even registered a blip. This is far from the Sterling situation.

Every person named manning in the country could probally put all their wealth together and still not afford the team.

We would need someone on this list to be interested in buying the team.

Forbes Welcome

Jeffery Hildebrand would be my best choice as he is closer (Houston), on the younger side of the list, made his fortune in oil, and is a big contributor to Catholic Charities. I see a pretty decent synergy there for wanting to keep the team in new Orleans, and as being someone Benson wouldn't mind selling to.

Dan Friedkin may be a good option too. He has business dealings in Louisiana, so there could be a desire to stay loyal to the area.

But I have a decent confidence that Benson has a solid succession plan in place going forward. He isn't a billionaire by accident. He always had a plan "B" of sorts if the three R's broke bad.

Rodney is a good man and also my neighbor. He had worked for Benson since he was a teenager. After Katina, he quit since Benson was going to move the team to San Antonio. Benson personally hired him back after the Super Bowl. Go back and look at pictures of Benson and Rodney is always with him. He took of Benson long before Gayle showed up.

Wow.....here we go. Let the offseason begin. My first thought as a free agent is no way i want to go to the Saints after hearing that.

Rodney Henry, Tom Benson's longtime assistant, claims racial discrimination, harassment by Benson's wife

Lawsuit: Ex-Tom Benson assistant claims he was racially harassed by wife Gayle, treated 'with disdain and disrespect' | The Advocate

Tom Benson's Former Assistant Sues Wife Gayle over Alleged Racial Discrimination | Bleacher Report

Rodney Henry, Tom Benson's longtime assistant, claims racial discrimination, harassment by Benson's wife | NOLA.com

"Henry in 2014 heard Gayle Benson say, "I hate that black son of a ***** and am going to get rid of him," according to the filing, among other incidents described in the lawsuit."

"Henry claims the Saints retaliated against him after he was deposed in a lawsuit questioning Tom Benson's mental health."

"Henry was allegedly forced to stay in a room that featured child-sized bunk beds and didn't have towels or air conditioning."

How can you prove that without witnesses, it's basically hearsay.

How can you prove that without witnesses, it's basically hearsay.
Not all hearsay is inadmissible. Cops use it all the time in criminal cases. "When I approached the suspect, he told me that he had just shot the victim." This is admissible hearsay because it's a statement by a party in the litigation, plus it's a statement most people wouldn't make under those circumstances. It's classified as a statement against interest by a party. The jury decides whether to believe the statement or not. Same thing in this case. If Gail is a defendant in the lawsuit, her alleged statements can be admissible hearsay.

There's no Donald Sterling problem unless this guy has a recording or some actual proof.

Apparently you don't need that now a days. You can just say whatever you want, sue whoever you want, and get rich off of it.

Rodney is a good man and also my neighbor. He had worked for Benson since he was a teenager. After Katina, he quit since Benson was going to move the team to San Antonio. Benson personally hired him back after the Super Bowl. Go back and look at pictures of Benson and Rodney is always with him. He took of Benson long before Gayle showed up.

I know Rodney, he is an awesome man. This probably has legs.

Not all hearsay is inadmissible. Cops use it all the time in criminal cases. "When I approached the suspect, he told me that he had just shot the victim." This is admissible hearsay because it's a statement by a party in the litigation, plus it's a statement most people wouldn't make under those circumstances. It's classified as a statement against interest by a party. The jury decides whether to believe the statement or not. Same thing in this case. If Gail is a defendant in the lawsuit, her alleged statements can be admissible hearsay.

The key is if it's a one time thing. Sterling had multiple outbursts and lawsuits before he was removed. Same for Schott.

Apparently you don't need that now a days. You can just say whatever you want, sue whoever you want, and get rich off of it.

Probably, but I meant from a PR perspective. Video and audio make 24 hour news cycles. Lawsuits with hearsay don't.

Probably, but I meant from a PR perspective. Video and audio make 24 hour news cycles. Lawsuits with hearsay don't.

Bingo.
That is the difference between discussing a lawsuit on a forum and a video of a racist comment by a possible future owner in the NFL getting constant coverage on Mike and Mike.

Here's the problem-
You can't unhear the allegation.

If you walk in a crowded room and I yell to you "hey, are you still beating your wife?" It doesn't matter if it's untrue, people are going to wonder and some will outright believe that you beat your wife.

The source is relevant. In this case, its a longtime assistant. Pretty credible.
This is an nfl team. Lots of black players.

This is real bad PR for gayle imo. Forget the legal side. It's just real bad PR.

And that's not particularly good for our saints.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom