NFL network top 10 gutsiest calls. ambush is no. 2 (1 Viewer)

Yeah what was number 1? This discussion would benefit from that piece of info. The entire top 10 would be ideal.

I'm out of town and didn't see the program, but according to a thread on a Pats board, #1 was Vince Lombardi calling for Bart Starr's QB sneak in the 1967 Ice Bowl.

If that's true, I'd have to say it's an honor to be in the same company--and I wonder if Vince would have ever believed the Saints would be there some day?!

ambush was the greatest in my memory... esp since i was sober enough for that play... after the tracy porter pick it becomes a blur.

The Ice Bowl? Odds are he's going to send one of his players in the backfield up the middle on that play. How is that "gutsy"? It was a legendary play but I don't see it as gutsy. And Lombardi wouldn't have gotten near the backlash that Payton would have had either call not worked. Ambush is easily number 1.

Ambush easily takes the #1 spot. The only reason it's not there is because everyone is afraid to anger the football gods.

doing a quick google search - someone made a list on colts msg board

seems like a pretty awful list for the most part - strange selections, especially #3 and #7

(copied from Colts message board)

10) Pats/Colts 4th and 2
9) Forgot
8) Cowher's onside kick in Super Bowl XXX
7) Colts pull their starters vs. Jets
6) Can't sum it up, but it was a Browns vs. Raiders game where the Browns opted for a pass to the end zone rather than a FG and it was intercepted. I think this was due to weather conditions and the fact that their kicker was awful.
5) Parcells' fake punt in NFCCG vs. 49ers
4) Parcells' fake punt in SB XXI vs. Broncos
3) Trent Dilfer released after Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV
2) Payton's onside kick in XLIV
1) Starr's QB sneak in the Ice Bowl

The Ice Bowl? Odds are he's going to send one of his players in the backfield up the middle on that play. How is that "gutsy"? It was a legendary play but I don't see it as gutsy. And Lombardi wouldn't have gotten near the backlash that Payton would have had either call not worked. Ambush is easily number 1.

Yeah, I know that we all must honor the legends of the game - but I don't see why we must be dishonest to do so. The Ice Bowl decision was interesting, but running a QB sneak in that position was hardly revolutionary thinking.

Ambush was so gutsy it was shocking. SP literally risked being eternally known as a Super Bowl goat in order to pull off something few who have coached in the NFL would even think of, let alone seriously consider.

The perfect rebuttal. I think the threat of backlash seals the deal.

They can say Ambush was the second gutsiest call. Everyone had better recognize that it was the #1 ballsiest call ever.

doing a quick google search - someone made a list on colts msg board

seems like a pretty awful list for the most part - strange selections, especially #3 and #7

(copied from Colts message board)

10) Pats/Colts 4th and 2
9) Forgot
8) Cowher's onside kick in Super Bowl XXX
7) Colts pull their starters vs. Jets
6) Can't sum it up, but it was a Browns vs. Raiders game where the Browns opted for a pass to the end zone rather than a FG and it was intercepted. I think this was due to weather conditions and the fact that their kicker was awful.
5) Parcells' fake punt in NFCCG vs. 49ers
4) Parcells' fake punt in SB XXI vs. Broncos
3) Trent Dilfer released after Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV
2) Payton's onside kick in XLIV
1) Starr's QB sneak in the Ice Bowl

#7. This is not gutsy. This is just a matter of a teams decision to rest guys. Not even close to gutsy.

#3. Again, not gutsy. Thats a personnel decision. You could say almost every draft pick is gutsy then.

I knew he should let Drew kick the onside kick.
Morestead Can't beat Bart Starr but Drew can and will

I really don't see it either, that the Starr QB Sneak can be that high.
It's 3rd and 0,5-1 yd. If they miss, they can kick a field goal and go into OT.

#7. This is not gutsy. This is just a matter of a teams decision to rest guys. Not even close to gutsy.

#3. Again, not gutsy. Thats a personnel decision. You could say almost every draft pick is gutsy then.

I agree - it's like they had the potential to make a really cool list, but completely blew it, did little research, and threw it together really quickly. Makes no sense. #1 wasn't particularly gutsy either, it was just a very good play.

I really don't see it either, that the Starr QB Sneak can be that high.
It's 3rd and 0,5-1 yd. If they miss, they can kick a field goal and go into OT.

GB had called their last time-out just before that third down play behind by three. With 16 seconds left and NO TIME OUTS, calling a QB sneak was very gutsy. If the sneak doesn't score, GB has no way to stop the clock. It will take several seconds to get all the players off the pile, re-spot the ball, and run your FG team onto the field and line up to try a FG to send the game into OT!

I don't know many NFL coaches that would make that call today. It was a do-or-die win-or-(likely)-lose call in the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!

I am not trying to diminish Ambush. But that wasn't a true win-or-lose call. It's only the first play of the second half. If the Saints don't recover the kick, they still have a chance to stop the Colts on D. And even if the Colts sore, they still have the rest of the half to try and win the game...sure...it's harder, but not impossible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom