NFL network top 10 gutsiest calls. ambush is no. 2 (1 Viewer)

Seeing Parcells on their twice for surprise fakes it's easy to see where Payton got it from.

The Ice Bowl? Odds are he's going to send one of his players in the backfield up the middle on that play. How is that "gutsy"? It was a legendary play but I don't see it as gutsy. And Lombardi wouldn't have gotten near the backlash that Payton would have had either call not worked. Ambush is easily number 1.

Totaly agree. I remember watching the "Ice Bowl," and even the announcers at the time were saying it would probably be a sneak since the footing was so iffy down there considering the "frozen tundra" of the game (which it was). Not gutsy at all. It was the smart call, all things considered.

I think the problem was that those who "vote" for these things couldn't accept the idea that the Saints might have the #1 gutsiest call, instead voting for a play that made history for other reasons.

GB had called their last time-out just before that third down play behind by three. With 16 seconds left and NO TIME OUTS, calling a QB sneak was very gutsy. If the sneak doesn't score, GB has no way to stop the clock. It will take several seconds to get all the players off the pile, re-spot the ball, and run your FG team onto the field and line up to try a FG to send the game into OT!

I don't know many NFL coaches that would make that call today. It was a do-or-die win-or-(likely)-lose call in the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!

I am not trying to diminish Ambush. But that wasn't a true win-or-lose call. It's only the first play of the second half. If the Saints don't recover the kick, they still have a chance to stop the Colts on D. And even if the Colts sore, they still have the rest of the half to try and win the game...sure...it's harder, but not impossible.
I watched the top 10 program and it's hard to disagree with one aspect that separates the top two plays.

With "Ambush", if it doesn't work there is still an entire 2nd half to be played - the game is by no means over. The Ice Bowl QB sneak is "for the win"... if it hadn't worked, it would go down as one of the worst decisions ever, not even making the list. Remember, it wasn't just the NFL Championship game that they won, but also the right to represent the NFL in the first ever Super Bowl.

While I think it probably did take more guts to call "Ambush" with the scrutiny of what the Super Bowl has become, I can also understand that a do or die play that setup the winner of the first ever Super Bowl and arguably the naming of the Super Bowl trophy is the one play that beats it out.

That is a terrible list.
That I won't disagree with. Top 10 seems to be mailing it in lately.

In top 10 gutsiest calls you get the Walker trade as a gutsy call by Dallas and not resigning Dilfer as another on the list. Then you also have the Colts packing it in at the end of the season as "gutsy". None of those are "gutsy" calls... and are calls made by the front office, not during the flow of a game.

Then when they did the top 10 uniforms, they put cheerleaders and pee-wee football on the list. During top 10 lefty QBs, #9 was "the rest of the field" -- meaning every lefty QB that ever played.

C'mon man.

GB had called their last time-out just before that third down play behind by three. With 16 seconds left and NO TIME OUTS, calling a QB sneak was very gutsy. If the sneak doesn't score, GB has no way to stop the clock. It will take several seconds to get all the players off the pile, re-spot the ball, and run your FG team onto the field and line up to try a FG to send the game into OT!

I don't know many NFL coaches that would make that call today. It was a do-or-die win-or-(likely)-lose call in the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!

I am not trying to diminish Ambush. But that wasn't a true win-or-lose call. It's only the first play of the second half. If the Saints don't recover the kick, they still have a chance to stop the Colts on D. And even if the Colts sore, they still have the rest of the half to try and win the game...sure...it's harder, but not impossible.

And now you know the rest of the story.... as Paul Harvey would say.

Goooooooood Day.

I am fine being #2 with ambush - especially if it helps motivate the Pack to stomp the dirty birds this afternoon!

Who dat!

A little perspective on the "Ice Bowl" QB sneak. Packers were behind 14-17. 1st and goal from the 3. A run gets it to the 1. 2nd and goal run goes nowhere. Starr called the Packers last time out. 16 seconds left in the game. No time outs left. A field goal ties it. Starr had not rushed for a touchdown that season. -20F. The turf is frozen rock hard.

Gutsy? Maybe stupid and lucky is better than gutsy. It would have been a good call if they had another call made if they didn't make it. I like my chances better with two chances to win the game inside the one better than in overtime. But they put all their eggs into that one call. They wouldn't of had time to get thier field goal team on under those conditions. They would of had to try to run a fourth down play no huddle. Not a huge deal now but back then...

I think they were brain numb from the cold.

#7. This is not gutsy. This is just a matter of a teams decision to rest guys. Not even close to gutsy.

#3. Again, not gutsy. Thats a personnel decision. You could say almost every draft pick is gutsy then.

Yes....I mean, while I'll always have ambush at #1, I do think the Ice Bowl deserves to be high on the list b/c they were out of timeouts and it was an all-or-nothing call.

But the Ravens, a team that won a Super Bowl on the strength of one of the greatest defensive units ever and a punishing running game by Jamal Lewis, releasing Trent Dilfer counts as gutsy???? That ranks ahead of Parcells' fakes in big games, Cowher's onside kick call in the Super Bowl, etc??? Yeesh.

And the Colts pulling their starters v. the Jets wasn't gutsy, it was cowardly and the football gods punished them for their cowardice by having them lose to a team that played to win, instead of playing it safe.

I think this game was played before...

I really don't see it either, that the Starr QB Sneak can be that high.
It's 3rd and 0,5-1 yd. If they miss, they can kick a field goal and go into OT.

I think this game was played when the goalposts were on the goal line, not at the back on the endzone... It's a fairly tough angle for a field goal.

If Starr does not score, Greenbay loses the game. No time for a tie. The Saints had time to recover if the play went wrong...

Still, I think the call was not as gutsy as the on-sides kick. But I am a Saints fan.

ice bowl..last play of the championship game...try for the win instead of settling for OT...yep..it was the gutsiest....the on side kick at no. 2 is really quite ok by me....

Give these old buzzards in the media 10 years to mull it over. The only thing keeping ambush out of the number 1 spot is stubbornness.

Ice Bowl was a call to win the championship.
Ambush was the first play of the 2nd half.

If Starr doesn't score, who knows what the Trophy is named...

I'm fine with being number 2 on that list.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom