NFL, NFLPA reach agreement on COVID-19 adjustments to CBA - Season is a Go (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
After weeks of discussions and negotiations, the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to the foundation necessary to play amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

The two sides came to an agreement Friday afternoon following a NFLPA player representative vote, by a count of 29-3, in favor of the proposed changes, the union announced. Thus, the adjusted CBA became official, and training camp will commence in earnest when most veteran players arrive July 28 as originally scheduled. The NFLPA's executive committee voted unanimously to approve the changes proposed by the NFL's owners earlier Friday.

"The NFL clubs and the NFL Players Association approved an agreement that broadly resolves all outstanding issues relating to the opening of training camps and start of the 2020 season," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "Training camps will begin as scheduled.

CBA Agrees to Major Terms to Start Season

Undoubtedly there will be a lot of wrenches thrown at the league this season, I hope they will be able to combat it all and complete a full season.

This plan seems reasonable. The only problem I see is that after this year the cap could decease by $23m. GM's have generally been planning for an annual increase of $10m and gave long term deals expecting the increase. now they may be looking at a $33m decrease from what they planned so the will be forced to either get a few veteran player that has 3 years or less remaining to take a pay cut or have to release them.

This plan seems reasonable. The only problem I see is that after this year the cap could decease by $23m. GM's have generally been planning for an annual increase of $10m and gave long term deals expecting the increase. now they may be looking at a $33m decrease from what they planned so the will be forced to either get a few veteran player that has 3 years or less remaining to take a pay cut or have to release them.

Think you are spot-on. A lot of good vets will be dumped into the market next year. It will hurt the heavily experienced top teams with full caps, especially those who played with the cap numbers pushing a lot into the future. At the same time, the bottom-dwelling teams with plenty of cap could get stronger really quickly with a good GM. Loomis will be tested to the max.

All of the CDC's defined "increased risk" categories -- e.g. moderate-to-severe asthma, sickle cell disease, Type 2 diabetes, etc. -- are covered as "high risk" under the deal, with the exception of high-BMI.

This is exactly what coach Guido told us the other day that I posted early in the week. The high risk players are the ones really concerned especially sickle cell and diabetes. And I can definitely see asthma.

Well - I am in quarantine. Don't feel bad. Just a little sluggish. Got the swab nose rape this morning. Actually it was not as bad as I had heard. I think its just my normal bad mold spore allergies that I get every year at this time. But they are taking no chances.

I talked to 3 Docs yesterday and this morning. 2 are some of the best in Central TX. It helps when you work with hospitals for a living - lol. These are experienced professionals and when I drilled them down about the virus, the same answer kept coming back over and over, "We just don't know yet." And they are starting the season. God bless the players and coaches and families!

I can't PM anymore. Does anyone know how Dutar is doing? He's such a good guy and good poster

YIKES... if the loss of 2020 revenue is so massive that the stop-gap lowest 2021 salary cap minimum of $175M is invoked (per the agreement just reached), the Saints would be $75M over the cap in 2021.... WAY over.

Overthecap.com is showing the Saints currently have 52 players under contract for 2021, with a cap hit of almost $250M.

$250M - 175M = $75M.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom