NFL Nicknames (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Cool Brees, Breesus, Dome Patrol
=================================

NEW YORK (AP) — The memorable moments and teams in NFL history can be summarized by a word or phrase such as the “Steel Curtain” or “America’s Team.”

And the NFL has had more than its share of those moments and teams through the years. Even though a list such as this could be virtually endless, here’s a look at some of the top NFL nicknames, including players, plays, teams and even stadiums.

Team Nicknames

“Aints” — Refers to the struggles of the woeful New Orleans Saints in the 1980 season when they were the first team to finish 1-15 in a season. Fans registered their disgust by wearing paper bags over their heads at the games. But the name also refers in general to the team’s struggles for most of its first 30 years.

“America’s Team” — Love ‘em or hate ‘em, it’s the Dallas Cowboys. And despite having not won a Super Bowl since the 1995 season, their popularity nationwide hasn’t waned..............

*sigh* Neither of those A-entries are indicative of what each franchise is all about today.

Today, it's more like......remembering the Dome Patrol and enjoying Breesus as we thank goodness we're not Jerry's Kids over in Dallas! :hihi:

Did our offense as a whole under Payton ever have a nickname? And I just missed it?

'boonk gang' didn't make the cut, huh?

still wish 'rhythm & bruise' would have taken off that was the best nickname ever, hands down

Did our offense as a whole under Payton ever have a nickname? And I just missed it?
Well, "Gulf Coast Offense" never caught on. I am not sure it's possible to give these offenses a name. There was the Reggie Bush era offense, the Jimmy Graham/Darren Sproles offense, the Kamara/Ingram offense, and now the Kamara/Thomas/Cook offense. They're too different in my view to characterize with one nickname. Payton is the master of molding offenses to maximize the effectiveness of his personnel, whatever that personnel might consist of.

This teams hasn’t been the “Aints” since before Jim Mora was Head Coach. The fact they feel the need to reference it just shows you how resistant the sportsmedia are to change. They are currently collectively still living with the pre internet mindset that because the Saints once sucked they will always suck and that the current team is just an anomaly . For proof see all their talk about how the Saints are on the verge of becoming terrible once again - Brees retiring, Payton leaving for Dallas (or any other high profile college or pro job that’s open), or one of our NFC opponents getting better, etc. They continue to live in the ancient past.

The only nickname I really care about is “Kirky” for Keith Kirkwood.

I often think back to when one of our SSF brethren tried to give Robert Meachem the “Sweet Peach” nickname... and that still makes me smile.

still wish 'rhythm & bruise' would have taken off that was the best nickname ever, hands down

You're Welcome.

That's my nickname, I came up with. (Again, TradeMark)

Been saying it, since before I was on this board.

Nobody seems to like it. I thought it was New Orleans as ####. But always a luke warm response.

Maybe Latavius Murray can bring it some life. (crossing fingers).

Then Dirty Coast can hire me to make a t-shirt. And I'll make so much money, that I type my responses on Saints Report with my pinky up, while drinking my Fresca out of a glass.

A crystal glass. Like Royalty.

Last edited:
I read that article earlier today. I knew most all of the origins but a couple of tidbits were new to me. Slingin' Sammy Baugh had a pretty amazing year back in the day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom