NFL Officials Becoming Foretellers Of Events (1 Viewer)

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Did you notice the penalty for taunting that the side judge threw on the Patriots corner during a crucial drive for the Broncos?

The alleged taunting by the New England player actually occurred after the flag was thrown.

Isn't it amazing how these guys can know what personal foul is going to take place before it happens?

:scratch:

If this were a Saints game, I'd be livid, but for now I'll just let the Denver fans cut loose on the officiating this week.

Puntz

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
he probably said something very offensive and that was the "taunt" not so much the arm gestures that followed. we can't hear what he said to draw the flag, but you could see his mouth running

Sun Wukong

Kicker's, Inc. Superfan
Reaction score
Yeah, I assume that the ref heard him say something inflammatory and threw the flag. While he didn't make an actual gesture until after the flag was thrown, that was just the culmination.

saint-58

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Did you notice the penalty for taunting that the side judge threw on the Patriots corner during a crucial drive for the Broncos?

The alleged taunting by the New England player actually occurred after the flag was thrown.

Isn't it amazing how these guys can know what personal foul is going to take place before it happens?

If this were a Saints game, I'd be livid, but for now I'll just let the Denver fans cut loose on the officiating this week.

Of course they know what's gonna happen!!!!

They have ESPN!!!!!! :mwink:

SaintBeau

Reaction score
According to the commentators, the flag that we saw come down was apparently for pass interference--and, of course, there was none. The penalty for taunting was a good call. Good conspiracy theory, though. ;)

mvtrucking

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Does it seem to anyone else that the boys in zebra outfits are throwing more yellow flags than usual this year? And like the OP said, they seem to be at times more often than not, that are deciding the outcome of games. I don't like the trend. :idunno:

retthib

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Does it seem to anyone else that the boys in zebra outfits are throwing more yellow flags than usual this year? And like the OP said, they seem to be at times more often than not, that are deciding the outcome of games. I don't like the trend. :idunno:

Me neither. Its like the refs dont understand that a 250 lb guy cant stop on the dime to avoid a hit on the sidelines. The first time a guy pulls up is when the O player doesnt go OOB and continues running. As long as the calls even out in the longrun, theres nothing we can really do about it.

Another thing that gets me is when forward progress is stopped. Sometimes they let a guy move a pile, sometimes they blow the whistle and stop the play, thats the most confusing thing to me.

SaintsDrunkard

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Yeah, I assume that the ref heard him say something inflammatory and threw the flag. While he didn't make an actual gesture until after the flag was thrown, that was just the culmination.

Actually when I watched it the play was in progress when the flag was thrown. If the guy was talking while making the tackle I can understand, but that was a "penalty to justify the flag" Not the flag to justify the penalty.

Terrible officiating imho, and decided the game.

CantonLegend

Best Looking
Reaction score
we cannot hear what the players are saying on the field and the defensive player may have already been yapping before he even got up, and when he got up, what did he do? he went straight at the offensive player on the ground and taunted him

the call was fine IMO but i have noticed an increase in terrible calls this season, however that was not a bad call

OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Actually when I watched it the play was in progress when the flag was thrown. If the guy was talking while making the tackle I can understand, but that was a "penalty to justify the flag" Not the flag to justify the penalty.

I thought the same thing at the time.

It almost appears lately that the officials are getting paid 'by the flag'.
And there is no consistency to their calls.

When did the NFL start requiring them to over-officiate?

Scott B

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"over-officious jerks"-Marv Levy

retthib

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

I agree. I think the flag was initially thrown for a late hit and while the flag was in the air, the ref realized it was premature. Then to justify him throwin the flag, he called taunting once the DB waved his hands at the WR. Im not buying the db said something during the play, these guys trash talk all game long. The flag was thrown right after the hit on the sideline. Horrible call, IMO.

OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. I think the flag was initially thrown for a late hit and while the flag was in the air, the ref realized it was premature. Then to justify him throwin the flag, he called taunting once the DB waved his hands at the WR. Im not buying the db said something during the play, these guys trash talk all game long. The flag was thrown right after the hit on the sideline. Horrible call, IMO.

This!

DomeDude

Huh ?
Reaction score
There were two flags on the play. The one you saw thrown was for pass interference which was picked up because the ball was tipped. You could see the second one come in from off the screen, that was the one for taunting.

cazint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Another ex was today during the Giants game. I support no team except the Saints; but I support fairness and justice in the calling of games.

The Raiders did a running play, got stopped at the line, and before the whistle blew (like one or two whole seconds before...which is a long time in football), but before the whistle blew, the Giants D stripped the ball from the runner, picked it up and started running. As the defender picked up the ball, the whistles then came. But the defender continued and ran all the way to the Riaders endzone, with, of course, several Raiders trying to chase him down.

Here's the deal. Since the whistle CLEARLY blew well after the fumble, even the announcers were saying that they must have blown the whislte saying the runner was down. While the refs were trying to "clear this up", CBS went and showed a reply where it was SO OBVIOUS that the runner was NOT down. So much so that there was really no way for the refs to even suggest that...as it would make them look stupid. I mean, it was clear, the runner was NOT down.

So right before the refs came to announce what the call was, the announcer was like, "well, I guess they are going to try to say that forward progress had stopped....but they didn't blow the whistle". Sure enough, this is what the refs announced, that forward progress had stopped and the play was dead. But CBS replayed it several more times, WITH SOUND, showing how the whistle was NOT blown for a good bit after the fumble. And surely the refs know that. That's what ****** me off the most. If this had happened to our Saints, we would be LIVID! I was just so fumed, that they had the audacity to say that the play was blown dead before the fumble, something that was clearly a BLATANT LIE.

So why then make the call they way they did? Why make that announcement?

Well, what else can they do. These guys are smart, so my guess is they know the screwed up. The one ref wrongly blew the whistle. They talked about it, and agreed that the runner was not down...which means the ball would go the Giants. But then the blowing of the whistle basically stopped what was a defensive TD by the Giants. So the refs completely screwed that one. What could they do? Could they make an announcement saying, "We screwed up and wrongly blew the whistle. The runner was not down and the Giants caused a fumble and recovered it. We then blew a whistle for no apparent reason and will have to guesstimate that the Giants will get the ball at their own 16 yard line." Of couse they won't say that.

Their only way out: say something the KNOW isn't true, but it is something that is NOT challengable. Say the whistle was blown because of a lack of forward progress. But again, this was CLEARLY blown well after the fumble.

You know, until now, hours later, this is still pissing me off. That was one example where the refs straight up lied, and they know the did. On the flipside, what else can they do. I say, admit the mistaken whistle, say you aren't perfect, and give the Giants the ball. Instead, the Raiders maintained posession and subsequently scored.

The refs are just too dang inconsistent. And calls like that make us dislike them even more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom