NFL Opening Night Ratings Way Down (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL is going to do what they want to do. Viewership was supposed to be affected by the players taking a knee a few years ago, and that was when the NFL frowned upon it. Now they're ok with it and taking it even further with songs and slogans.

For all the folks claiming you don't want to watch because the NFL openly supports anti-racism, the NFL is calling y'alls bluff. They don't care about your viewership.

Saints fans didn't watch the SB the year we got robbed. Did they do anything to appease us the following year? Nope. They were back to screwing us over in game 1 of the following season. They do what they wanna do. And you will deal.

They do have to renegotiate in a few years, but the networks won’t let football go. They’ll pay more.
So you think businesses will pay more to get less in return???

you realize that the networks then go out and sell advertising and if the advertisers don’t want to pay MORE to get LESS, the networks are screwed.

It’s nowhere as easy as you guys are making it sound. YOU wouldn’t pay more to get less and neither will a network.

More than 190,000 Americans are dead in the last 6 months due to a pandemic, and add to that the senseless murders of people of color at the hands of the police and you're surprised at the somber tone at the first NFL game of the season. Really?

Did you really expect that the death toll and the social unrest would be forgotten?

Of course not and it certainly hasn’t been, take Kenny Stills who has been an inspiration in the community and we continue to see the wonderful tributes to the nurses and doctors on the front lines. I can only speak personally. I have been living through the social unrest here in Los Angeles, I helped sweep streets and paint Santa Monica after a few bad apples tried to ruin a righteous march in the city. I donated to Mr. Floyd’s family. I also have brought food to families affected by job loss from Covid and bought and delivered over 3000 masks to the FBI for their return to the Federal Building here in LA. I did those things like most of us to try to make a difference. Then when I go to work with my mask on or teach my children because they can’t physically be in school I do my job with a single minded focus. My focus on my job has to be on the work at hand if I am going to do it well and I must do it well. Respectfully It’s hard for us all dealing with the effects of Covid. It’s hard for those affected by the small percentage of unjust policemen and it’s hard for the vast majority of just cops who bear the results of the unjust few. Racism in any form is unacceptable and we must all work together to do all we can to ensure equality for all.
The portion of statement you quoted relates to football. I think there was a very appropriate amount of time spent leading up to the game and through the opening. Where I think there was a disconnect perhaps in the tone was that particularly in football you need a level of focus. It’s an emotional game. There is a tone and I think the somber tone struck which continued after kickoff had an affect both on the game and on the people watching when that single minded focus strictly on football was needed to start the game.
As I mentioned running out of the tunnel, that energized getting to work mentality that usually gets players and fans pumped up and ready. It’s a shift, it says now nothing else exists but the game. It felt as though there needed to be an acknowledgement which they did but then a true reset, let’s get our minds right and get to work. I know as a former fighter stepping into the ring anything else going on in my life or the world has to be set aside from the moment I stepped in. That didn’t happen in the game, thus the somber tone continued. The Texans seemed to never get their minds right other than Watson who gave it all he had. Please understand I am not saying we should not do all we can in our communities, my life revolves around trying to do the right thing but I did feel that the game, and I’m just talking the game, lacked something. Fans were there and I heard them cheering. The game though just didn’t feel like a football game. I understand that maybe their hearts aren’t in it - unfortunately, when your job depends on emotion your heart has to be in it in order to be effective. You can get away with it in basketball or baseball but not in fighting and not in football. That’s all I was trying to express but I do appreciate your response and I will try to word things better going forward. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom