NFL owners have approached (mod edit--back in 2017, not recently) Adam Silver to replace Goodell! (1 Viewer)

Well at least it speaks to some thought is going forward about it all.

I know it's mostly all about money to the owners but at some point people do have a conscience it makes sense that they will see that Goodell is damaging their product. The NFL belongs to the owners, the players, and most of all the people who support the game...............the fans.

The NFL has made Goodell wealthier than he could have ever imagined and good for him but in the meantime he's run it into the ground and its not something that just started...................its been happening for a while now.

Actually, the ESPN article does date the contact:

"ESPN's Don Van Natta and Seth Wickersham reported in August 2017 that a confidant of an NFL owner reached out to gauge whether Silver would be interested in running the NFL, to which Silver immediately said no."

The other article doesn't date the contact at all and makes it seem current.
I only noticed the one article. That's a bit odd and confusing.

The owners will need someone to negotiate the next CBA. You can't negotiate with a liar. If you do, you're a fool and I don't think the players' union is stocked with fools.

Who cares who the new commissioner would be. He can't screw this league up any worse than that arrogant jerk who just loves to fondle all the players he meets. Just wondering but does it bother anybody else but me that Goodell seems to enjoy fondling the muscles on every player he meets like their body make up turns him on?

Please dear heavenly Father hear my prayer. Please, please, please oh please get rid of Roger Goodell from the NFL for ever & ever. In Jesus' name I beg, Amen.

Don’t be fooled, the NBA has issues too.
Who cares about issues? We can get rid of the BIGGEST enemy the Saints have. Please Dear Lord, I beseech thee, get rid of the great clown Satan from the NFL. We humbly pray, Amen.

Silver is not the guy but the leak proves that Goodell is weak.

Condoleeza, come on down...

I share everyone else's sentiments in this thread, but I'm not as optimistic that Roger's end is near. Based on the date of the alleged contact, and the stalled negotiations to renew Roger's contract (remember the Jerry Jones incident at that time...circa August 2017?), has anyone considered that the information was leaked as leverage to encourage Roger to sign the extension at the offered compensation? Seems like he was extended shortly after this leak, so with the benefit of hindsight, perhaps support for Roger isn't weakening as much as owners just wanted to extend him at the lesser rate they consider appropriate, rather than the "raise" and the "NFL jet" Roger reportedly was asking for. JMO...

I think the breaking point will be the next CBA. While the NFL ownership group and the player's union have shared interests in the continued success of the league, they also have competing interests in how that will be achieved. This is pretty typical, but there's a third competing interest in this equation, IMO, in that Roger has his own personal agenda. Roger is a power-monger who likes his ring kissed. The last CBA was negotiated with concessions to Roger & the NFL by the Player's Union to allow disciplinary procedures to be handled in a streamline fashion, in order to further Roger's "integrity of the shield" agenda. While we can argue that the NFLPA was "naive" and/or "short-sighted" to agree to such things, they agreed based on a frame of reference that started with Tagliabue, and Roger was a protege of Tagliabue. In retrospect, Roger has re-defined some concepts and languages in a different way from Tagliabue, with each instance establishing a new precedent for expanded disciplinary power by the commissioner. Furthermore, IMO, I believe the NFLPA believed (as we all did), that NFL investigations would be conducted in a fair, thorough, and unbiased manner, as they always were. However, the CBA didn't define it, which allowed Roger wide latitude to re-define it with precedent.

This is why he has doggedly pursued discipline against the likes of Tom Brady (a marquee player who is arguably a face of the league) to Robert Krafts ire (one of the most powerful owners), for Deflate-gate. Think about it...why does a player accused of deflating a football receive a suspension commensurate with the punishment for physical assault or spousal abuse? And why de-value the face of one of the marquee players in the league, who plays for one of the most powerful owner's in the league and who has supported every questionable move by Roger? Roger saw a fool-proof avenue to consolidate power and establish new precedent for the commissioner! That's not acting in the NFL's best interest, that's acting in Roger's best interest! We saw a very similar issue unfold with Zeke Elliot and Jerry Jones. Again, a marquee "face of the NFL" type player and a very powerful owner targeted by Roger, in order to cement Roger's disciplinary powers. This time, for an incident that ALLEGEDLY OCCURRED before Zeke was an NFL player! And do I need to even discuss Bountygate with this crowd? 4 players accused and suspended...all 4 re-instated upon appeal, due to LACK OF EVIDENCE! The only reason the 3 coach and GM suspensions stuck was because there was no Coach/Executive Association to appeal the process. Roger's agenda is about ROGER...sometimes the NFL benefits too, but Roger always benefits! And THIS will be his undoing, IMO...

I fully expect a lockout or walkout at the next CBA. The NFLPA will be looking to address/redress the disciplinary rules and procedures that Roger was allowed to define in the last CBA. THIS will be the major sticking point! Roger will see it as a non-negotiable "precedent set...get over it", while the NFLPA will want everything defined and codified. The problem will be that Robert Kraft, Jerry Jones, Gayle Benson, and some other influential owners will view Roger in a different light since the last CBA. Their major concerns will be revenue, and with a walkout/lockout, scab players, substitute leagues, the revenue will take a hit. A power-mongering commissioner will likely be viewed as the most threatening obstacle to the revenue stream, and THAT is when the fun will begin.

Buh-bye Roger...your legacy will be "the commissioner no one liked, and no one misses!" JMO...

I share everyone else's sentiments in this thread, but I'm not as optimistic that Roger's end is near. Based on the date of the alleged contact, and the stalled negotiations to renew Roger's contract (remember the Jerry Jones incident at that time...circa August 2017?), has anyone considered that the information was leaked as leverage to encourage Roger to sign the extension at the offered compensation? Seems like he was extended shortly after this leak, so with the benefit of hindsight, perhaps support for Roger isn't weakening as much as owners just wanted to extend him at the lesser rate they consider appropriate, rather than the "raise" and the "NFL jet" Roger reportedly was asking for. JMO...

I think the breaking point will be the next CBA. While the NFL ownership group and the player's union have shared interests in the continued success of the league, they also have competing interests in how that will be achieved. This is pretty typical, but there's a third competing interest in this equation, IMO, in that Roger has his own personal agenda. Roger is a power-monger who likes his ring kissed. The last CBA was negotiated with concessions to Roger & the NFL by the Player's Union to allow disciplinary procedures to be handled in a streamline fashion, in order to further Roger's "integrity of the shield" agenda. While we can argue that the NFLPA was "naive" and/or "short-sighted" to agree to such things, they agreed based on a frame of reference that started with Tagliabue, and Roger was a protege of Tagliabue. In retrospect, Roger has re-defined some concepts and languages in a different way from Tagliabue, with each instance establishing a new precedent for expanded disciplinary power by the commissioner. Furthermore, IMO, I believe the NFLPA believed (as we all did), that NFL investigations would be conducted in a fair, thorough, and unbiased manner, as they always were. However, the CBA didn't define it, which allowed Roger wide latitude to re-define it with precedent.

This is why he has doggedly pursued discipline against the likes of Tom Brady (a marquee player who is arguably a face of the league) to Robert Krafts ire (one of the most powerful owners), for Deflate-gate. Think about it...why does a player accused of deflating a football receive a suspension commensurate with the punishment for physical assault or spousal abuse? And why de-value the face of one of the marquee players in the league, who plays for one of the most powerful owner's in the league and who has supported every questionable move by Roger? Roger saw a fool-proof avenue to consolidate power and establish new precedent for the commissioner! That's not acting in the NFL's best interest, that's acting in Roger's best interest! We saw a very similar issue unfold with Zeke Elliot and Jerry Jones. Again, a marquee "face of the NFL" type player and a very powerful owner targeted by Roger, in order to cement Roger's disciplinary powers. This time, for an incident that ALLEGEDLY OCCURRED before Zeke was an NFL player! And do I need to even discuss Bountygate with this crowd? 4 players accused and suspended...all 4 re-instated upon appeal, due to LACK OF EVIDENCE! The only reason the 3 coach and GM suspensions stuck was because there was no Coach/Executive Association to appeal the process. Roger's agenda is about ROGER...sometimes the NFL benefits too, but Roger always benefits! And THIS will be his undoing, IMO...

I fully expect a lockout or walkout at the next CBA. The NFLPA will be looking to address/redress the disciplinary rules and procedures that Roger was allowed to define in the last CBA. THIS will be the major sticking point! Roger will see it as a non-negotiable "precedent set...get over it", while the NFLPA will want everything defined and codified. The problem will be that Robert Kraft, Jerry Jones, Gayle Benson, and some other influential owners will view Roger in a different light since the last CBA. Their major concerns will be revenue, and with a walkout/lockout, scab players, substitute leagues, the revenue will take a hit. A power-mongering commissioner will likely be viewed as the most threatening obstacle to the revenue stream, and THAT is when the fun will begin.

Buh-bye Roger...your legacy will be "the commissioner no one liked, and no one misses!" JMO...

Great post. And I agree with much of it...

But I believe the balance of power has shifted so far to management (defined as the most powerful NFL owners and by extension Goodell) that the CBA (union and players) need to fight and do whatever it takes to bring better balance back to the NFL. Currently the integrity of the NFL is being undermined and is very much at stake.

Many of Goodell's missteps/miscarriages of justice came before his contract extension, if the NFL's most powerful owners wanted to get rid of him he would have been gone already.

Great post. And I agree with much of it...

But I believe the balance of power has shifted so far to management (defined as the most powerful NFL owners and by extension Goodell) that the CBA (union and players) need to fight and do whatever it takes to bring better balance back to the NFL. Currently the integrity of the NFL is being undermined and is very much at stake.

Many of Goodell's missteps/miscarriages of justice came before his contract extension, if the NFL's most powerful owners wanted to get rid of him he would have been gone already.

Agreed with everything you just said. But it hasn't hit the owner's in the pocketbook yet, so it's a tolerable cost of doing business, which is why he was retained; despite what we see and think. I believe the next CBA will change that equation. And I believe that a group of 32 billionaires see it coming and have kept him in place for the express purpose of negotiating him away in the next CBA. "If we agree to replace him, will you agree to _________?" Roger is the next chip to be bargained, IMO. And similar to NFL players, you get nothing for them if they're outright released. You gotta re-sign 'em in order to trade 'em for something. Again, JMO...

Agreed with everything you just said. But it hasn't hit the owner's in the pocketbook yet, so it's a tolerable cost of doing business, which is why he was retained; despite what we see and think. I believe the next CBA will change that equation. And I believe that a group of 32 billionaires see it coming and have kept him in place for the express purpose of negotiating him away in the next CBA. "If we agree to replace him, will you agree to _________?" Roger is the next chip to be bargained, IMO. And similar to NFL players, you get nothing for them if they're outright released. You gotta re-sign 'em in order to trade 'em for something. Again, JMO...

I think your post above is spot on, it is exactly what I believe will happen...Cheers

Goodell being ousted is the only thing that might bring me back to the NFL

The more I think about, the more I think I'm the best candidate to replace Goodell. I just need Who Dat support and heavenly intervention. Can we Who Dats go for, "The Swimmer for Commissioner?"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom