NFL Prospects from THE BOOT -- Mike Detillier (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
askmike.jpg

NFL Prospects from THE BOOT

By Mike Detillier

I have been evaluating college talent headed to the NFL for 30 years and every year something jumps out at me. In the 2017 NFL draft class, what jumps out to me is the huge amount of potential pro prospects with Louisiana roots available to the 32 NFL teams.

Six out of the last nine years Louisiana per capita has produced more NFL players than any other state in the United States. In those 3 other years they came in second.

I have never seen so many potential Louisiana pro prospects in my 30 years covering the college football world in one draft class. Below are prospects who played high school football and grew up in Louisiana.

In my potential top-30 prospects Louisiana has 4:

Leonard Fournette-Halfback, LSU (St. Augustine)
Tim Williams- Outside Linebacker, Alabama (University Lab)
Cam Robinson-Offensive Tackle, Alabama (West Monroe)
Tre’Davious White-Cornerback, LSU (Green Oaks-Shreveport)

Prospects considered to be selected in the second or third round of the 2017 NFL draft Louisiana has 6 in:

Malachi Dupre-Wide Receiver, LSU (John Curtis)
Davon Godchaux-Defensive Tackle, LSU (Plaquemine)
Jeremy Cutrer-Cornerback, Middle Tennessee (Jewel-Sumner-Kentwood)
Duke Riley-Outside Linebacker, LSU (John Curtis)
Carlos Henderson-Wide Receiver, Louisiana Tech (McDonogh 35)
Kendell Beckwith-Middle Linebacker, LSU (East Feliciana)

NFL prospects with very late third round into the fifth round Louisiana has 6 prospects:

Tanzel Smart-Defensive Tackle, Tulane (Scotlandville Magnet)
Chad Williams-Wide Receiver, Grambling (Madison Prep)
Elijah McGuire-Halfback, UL-Lafayette (Vandebilt-Catholic)
Trent Taylor-Wide Receiver, Louisiana Tech (Evangel Christian)
Travin Dural-Wide Receiver, LSU (Breaux Bridge)
Xavier Woods-Strong Safety, Louisiana Tech (West Monroe)

Prospects with either sixth or seventh round pick grades Louisiana has 7 potential draft choices:

Cameron Tom-Offensive Center, Southern Mississippi (Catholic High B.R.)
D’Nerius Antoine-Strong Safety, Southern Mississippi (Westgate)
Cethan Carter-Tight End, Nebraska (Rummel)
Josh Boutte-Offensive Guard, LSU (Westgate)
B.J. Singleton-Defensive Tackle, Houston (Destrehan)
Lenard Tillery-Halfback, Southern (McKinley)
Dwayne Thomas-Cornerback, LSU (O. Perry Walker)

Prospects who just missed out on late round pick grades and will be signed as NFL free agents Louisiana has 5 in:

Speedy Noil-Wide Receiver/Return Man, Texas A&M (Edna Karr)
DeSean Smith-Tight End, LSU (Barbe)
Rickey Jefferson-Free Safety, LSU (Destrehan)
Lazedrick Thompson-Halfback, Tulane (St. Charles Catholic)
Otha Peters-Outside/Inside Linebacke,r UL-Lafayette (Covington)

The above numbers are just remarkable for our state to produce in one draft class.

Watch for Engram

I know the New Orleans Saints need help on the defensive side of the ball, but we all know Sean Payton loves offensive players and this is an offense-driven league. In Round 2 of the 2017 NFL draft don’t be surprised to see the Saints take a long look at Ole Miss tight end Evan Engram, if he is still on the board.

The 6-3, 230 pound Engram has re-written the Rebel records for receptions for tight ends and he wowed the scouts in Mobile, Alabama this past week at the Senior Bowl with his athleticism, sure hands and his ability to gain separation from defensive backs downfield.

During his 4-year stay at Ole Miss Evan Engram has caught 162 passes for 2,320 yards, averaged 14.3 yards per catch and scored 15 touchdowns. In 2016 Engram caught 65 passes for 926 yards and 8 scores.

Engram earned 1st team All-SEC honors and 1st team All-American honors as a senior. Despite the lack of ideal size, NFL teams are looking at him. There is no denying his talent as a pass catcher and that is exactly the type “fit” player Payton is looking for in a tight end with the Saints. And there is no doubt that, while the head coach will not publicly say it, he is not thrilled with the play of 2016 million-dollar tight end free agent pickup Coby Fleener.

Payton has always wanted a tight end to be a “prime” part of his offense and with the development of Michael Thomas at wide receiver the Saints are looking for that tight end that can stretch the deep middle part of the field.

Ole Miss tight end Evan Engram fits that description and the Saints can use their first round pick on a defensive player. Just remember that the man with the chalk in his hand in the early rounds of every draft is indeed, Sean Payton.

Archie’s Draft Day Adventure

On January 28, 1971 the New Orleans Saints used the second overall pick in the draft to select Ole Miss quarterback Archie Manning. Manning was saddled with bad talent around him in New Orleans for most of his time with the Saints, but he was still considered one of the best players in the league.

Former Dallas Cowboys quarterback and NFL Hall of Famer Roger Staubach told me on a radio interview that if he had swapped positions and teams with Manning that the former Rebel star quarterback would be considered one of the all-time greats today.

Manning has still been a huge part of our community due to his charity work, the Manning Passing Academy, and he is a spokesperson along with Fox Sports journalist Jennifer Hale and myself at Thibodaux Regional Medical Center. And yes, he is the father to Eli and Peyton Manning (two Super Bowl winning quarterbacks) and Fox Sports broadcaster Cooper Manning.

Archie recently told me a story of his adventures on draft day 1971.

“There was nothing like what you see today,” Manning said. “I was told the day before to go to the Ole Miss Athletic Complex and I had a good idea the Saints would take me and that I would wait for the call. The Patriots picked Stanford quarterback Jim Plunkett and then the phone rang and I spoke to the owner of the Saints at that time John Mecom for a few minutes and then head coach J.D. Roberts for a few minutes and they welcomed me to the team. I then went back to class. There was no television or radio coverage of the draft in 1971. So, it was no big deal and I just went back to what I would normally do. It’s a totally changed world today.”

Follow Mike on Twitter at @MikeDetillier

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom