NFL Rule and Structural Changes (1 Viewer)

One example would be just to review the rules of what is "a catch" or what is "Defensive Pass Interferences".

Those two descriptions alone probably changed in definition several times over the last 15 years alone. Sometimes by intention to make games more offensive and also some times to make the game easier to ref.

Knowing the rules have such intricate definitions, I'm surprised how often the ref, at live speed, can actually make the correct call. I would be lost out there.

Unfortunately, nobody pays any attention to them when they get it right. Just when they screw up.

Totally agree with this, and been saying this forever. Keep the system that the four division winners and 2 wild cards get playoff spots. BUT, the individual records determine the seeding.

Win a crappy division at 8-8? Great! You're in the playoffs. But that team in a better division that went 11-5 and only got a wild-card spot gets the home game.

What about the mediocre team that is in a crappy division, so they end up 11-5 thanks to 6 wins over the horrible teams in their division... .but they get to host the quality team that is in a very good division who ends up 8-8 because they went 3-3 against the good teams in their division?

The NFL playoff format is the best. I don't think they should change it at all. Only thing worse than what you're suggesting is moving to a round-robin, soccer style table format. Barf.

I'm 1000% against this. Division games mean more and the rivalries should matter. This turns into the NBA where there are no division rivals. Casual to hardcore NBA fans probably couldn't tell you the split of divisions within the league. The change the NFL did a few years ago changing the schedule to conclude with more division games was a great move. Those games are playoff games within the regular season. You want HFA, win your division first. That should always be your first goal in the NFL. Otherwise, what's the point of divisions?

The most simple change they need to make is jumping to an 18 week NFL schedule. Every team has two byes and no team plays a TNF game unless it's after a bye. They get an extra week of rest and break up the schedule to longer weeks for the teams. This just makes way too much sense. So, it'll probably never happen.

Sorry, but I just don't see how removing automatic home games for division winners ruins rivalries. You're still playing each team twice and you're still playing for something very significant - an automatic playoff berth. I don't see how removing the HFA changes that.

What hurts the game more - winning the division having slightly less meaning, or not giving your best teams the best chance to advance?

What about the mediocre team that is in a crappy division, so they end up 11-5 thanks to 6 wins over the horrible teams in their division... .but they get to host the quality team that is in a very good division who ends up 8-8 because they went 3-3 against the good teams in their division?
At the end of the day, your schedule is your schedule. Good teams beat the teams they're supposed to beat. I think bringing strength of schedule into seeding would over-complicate things. Hence, keep it simple.

When you think about it, all I'm proposing is that the same seeding algorithm that is currently applied to the division winners and wild-card teams separately be applied instead to all six teams as a whole. Simple as that.

Al Riveron ... is why we have what we have today.

This.

Sorry, but I just don't see how removing automatic home games for division winners ruins rivalries. You're still playing each team twice and you're still playing for something very significant - an automatic playoff berth. I don't see how removing the HFA changes that.

What hurts the game more - winning the division having slightly less meaning, or not giving your best teams the best chance to advance?

This is 100% truth. Win the division, get a playoff berth. Teams with better records get home field. Most fair and competitive process.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom