NFL Rumors: Salary Cap 'Expected to Reach' $208.2M for 2022-23 Season (1 Viewer)

They can't. They are already over the cap over $50 million . You can't just decide overnight to stop kicking the can unless you want to field a team undrafted players, cut franchise players, and have $150 million in deadcap to go 0-17 and spend 6 years rebuilding the whole roster. Loomis and Hart work the cap in 3-5 year bubbles. If they wanted to clean the slate... They had to do 2-3 years ago.
You are right, we just can’t clean slate in a year or two, but we need to change our perspective towards the cap. As an example, I don’t mind Taysom’s extension, but I don’t think we can use this method constantly.
I think you are one of the best football minds on this site, but salary cap manipulation isn't as simple as cleaning the slate. The game Loomis is playing is baked into the cake.

Covid shot us in the foot as did some of the calculated risks we took taking those almost successful shots during Brees's final years, but there's no need to take the medicine and certainly not all at once.

We can take a dump truck full of sugar to help the medicine go down and spread it out till the cap is 200m in 4 years and never miss a lick.

The only reason this team isn't winning right freaking now is injuries to our best players. Even half the injuries and we're 7 and 5 instead of where we are.

The salary cap is like tax accounting for billionaires. The rules we regular folks live by simply don't apply.
Dtc, I appreciate your words. I agree with you it is that the injuries are causing this year debacle, but on the medium and long term it will be the cap that will decrease our flexibility to rebuild.

Kick the can. The salary cap will be even higher in 2023 and higher still in the years after barring another COVID-type year.

You are right, we just can’t clean slate in a year or two, but we need to change our perspective towards the cap. As an example, I don’t mind Taysom’s extension, but I don’t think we can use this method constantly.

Dtc, I appreciate your words. I agree with you it is that the injuries are causing this year debacle, but on the medium and long term it will be the cap that will decrease our flexibility to rebuild.
I think Loomis put it out perfectly in the offseason. As long we are a championship squad till proven otherwise. We are gonna operate as such. We'll, they got proven otherwise and I think they'll adjust accordingly.

No choice but to partially kick the can. Restructures where the player has a high cap number, but you still have the player is one thing. But we need to stop it with these void year contracts. Those are killers. You end up with the cap charge and no player for short term cap flexibility. That leads the team to extend a player in a way they shouldn’t (cough…Taysom…cough) to cover up that dead money or having ton of dead money like we have with Drew this year and next and possibly Armstead next year as well.
This is the way to keep the team competitive without going all out Detroit. We are going to ease out of the Brees Superbowl window era in chunks. Still may be a player lost here and there but nothing that would leave us scraping the bottom of the league for #1 picks

So what's the better strategy?? Kick the can again to 2023 or suck it up and get all this dead money off the cap, but field a terrible team for a year or two.

With how good this defense is, how unlucky the team has been with injuries, you keep kicking the can until you can't afford to re-sign an impactful number of key guys and then you eat it for a couple of seasons in a full rebuild.

You realize you never have to stop kicking the can....

Nah, you do have to eventually stop. The dead money does slowly grow and eventually will become insurmountable even with salary cap increases. Salary cap increases are quickly negated by contract inflation. Remember when people here had a freak out over Brees getting 5yr/$100m? Now Dak Prescott is running around at $40m/yr.

With how good this defense is, how unlucky the team has been with injuries, you keep kicking the can until you can't afford to re-sign an impactful number of key guys and then you eat it for a couple of seasons in a full rebuild.

Nah, you do have to eventually stop. The dead money does slowly grow and eventually will become insurmountable even with salary cap increases. Salary cap increases are quickly negated by contract inflation. Remember when people here had a freak out over Brees getting 5yr/$100m? Now Dak Prescott is running around at $40m/yr.
Ed Oregon doesn't run our salary cap. It's Loomis and Hartley. Accountant Wizards.

Well, Cam Jordan, CGM, Malcolm Jenkins, Pete, Winston. I think for one reason or another, will not be back in 2022. How much would that save us?
Cutting Cam saves 1.2 million, Jenkins 3.2, Thomas 2 million, Winston is 3 million dead money so zero savings and cutting Pete will be a net loss of 9.2 million ( costs more to get rid of than keep). So your cuts would leave us 2.8 million further in the red

Enough with the Loomising. We are transitioning, we are not a powerhouse right now. Stop using the credit card and pay the interest.

We lost depth, we don’t have a receiver room and had no chance to keep Hendrickson because of Loomising.

Bite the bullet, get young and build a new competitive version of the team.
This all day.

We don’t have any receivers. We need to find some young players and hope to have someone who could be a Marques Colston kinda player for us one day.

And that’s just highlighting one position. I just really think this team would fair better if they just accepted it’s time to rebuild

Ed Oregon doesn't run our salary cap. It's Loomis and Hartley. Accountant Wizards.

The Saints dead money did grow over time as they kicked the can. It isn't a bad thing and I 100% agree with their strategy, but it does eventually hit a point where they will have to pay the balance. They can pretty much do that in one season, and I imagine they've already got it their strategy and plan for when and how they're going to rebuild.

But also as the cap goes up some of those contracts tend to not look as bad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom