NFL sets 2017 salary cap at $167 million; Saints have $30.86 million in available cap space (1 Viewer)

35m for Loomis to Loomis?!?!?!

Might as well be 200m, lol!

Seriously though, that's a good number to make 1 really nice siging (looking like CB at this point) and then fill in really well with nice, solid guys at LB, RG, & early down WDE. We may very well come out of this off season as a VERY complete team top to bottom, with the only real "issue" being our early down pass rush.

With Drew Brees at the helm, I can live with that.

Hence Barnett or the best edge rusher still there in round 1.

With Claiborne, he's almost certainly going to simply go back to the Cowboys.

They finally got some semblance of a return from what looked like a total bust the first 4 years. Now he's their starting LCB.

I'm just scared of spending big on Bouye, Gilmore, or Ryan. Maybe that's the way to go though.

I'm just scared of spending big on Bouye, Gilmore, or Ryan. Maybe that's the way to go though.

Due to our interest in Norman last year I think we will spend on a CB day 1.

1 year deal is what I'm thinking. Just like we did with Fairley, except without his salary spread out over multiple years. If he works out, we re-sign him. If not, that's $6m in our pocket for next offseason.

Except Fairley's prove-it deal was based on an injury history and questionable motivation. His actual talent and ability to be an impact player on a defense was not the issue.

Claiborne has four absolutely horrendous seasons and one decent one. You just don't give $6m/yr, even on a one year deal to those kinds of guys. People talk about being like New England, well New England isn't giving those kinds of guys $6m/yr.

Except Fairley's prove-it deal was based on an injury history and questionable motivation. His actual talent and ability to be an impact player on a defense was not the issue.

Claiborne has four absolutely horrendous seasons and one decent one. You just don't give $6m/yr, even on a one year deal to those kinds of guys. People talk about being like New England, well New England isn't giving those kinds of guys $6m/yr.

So which corner do you want to sign and for how much?

So which corner do you want to sign and for how much?

Me personally? I'm not sold on the FA Corners available. I'd rather re-sign Fairley as long as it's not a ridiculously high contract, beef up the right side of the offensive line with another Guard and Tackle, and aim to sign a guy like Zach Brown at LB. Depending on the money left, try to "Loomis" in a S like Micah Hyde.

Then in the draft, target DE and CB, then LB depending on who falls where. This is a great draft for CB and DE, and with the guys who have been franchise tagged, I feel safer drafting a couple of CBs for Dennis Allen and Aaron Glenn than overpaying for average CBs and breaking the bank for the handful of good to elite CBs.

Have to agree with BreesusSaves here.
Draft is weak in O-line strong on CB and DE.
FA O-line. Draft D.

You could backload some of those and sign more people. The window is 2-3 years so win now mode is a must!

I was thinking the same. The Saints could do a whole lot with that and adjusting current contracts.

We will restructure some of our contracts into signing bonuses and free up another 6-7 million if need be.

I would agree with you in the old market, but in the new FA market where the Browns have $100 million and many other teams with over $40-60 million in cap space, an injury prone potential starting caliber corner would likely garner about $6 million.

I think this site is drastically underestimating expected salaries for potential starters. There is so much more money than starting caliber salaries, so solid starters are going to likely get $7-8 million at minimum. Good starters like warford and zeitler will probably get $8-10 million. Buoye and Gilmore will probably get about $12ish million.

Either teams are going to exhaust their money on oversized contracts for solid starters or they are going to use up the rest on richer than normal 1 year deals to wait things out until the market balances out. $27 million in this FA market is not a ton unfortunately.

It'll be difficult to compete with the likes of Cleveland which has over $100,000,000 in cap space and other teams like the 49'ers and Jaguars which each have over $70,000,000 and Tampa Bay and Tennessee which each has over $60,000,000.

I would agree with you in the old market, but in the new FA market where the Browns have $100 million and many other teams with over $40-60 million in cap space, an injury prone potential starting caliber corner would likely garner about $6 million.

I think this site is drastically underestimating expected salaries for potential starters. There is so much more money than starting caliber salaries, so solid starters are going to likely get $7-8 million at minimum. Good starters like warford and zeitler will probably get $8-10 million. Buoye and Gilmore will probably get about $12ish million.

Either teams are going to exhaust their money on oversized contracts for solid starters or they are going to use up the rest on richer than normal 1 year deals to wait things out until the market balances out. $27 million in this FA market is not a ton unfortunately.

You beat me to it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom