NFL sets 2017 salary cap at $167 million; Saints have $30.86 million in available cap space (1 Viewer)

Me personally? I'm not sold on the FA Corners available. I'd rather re-sign Fairley as long as it's not a ridiculously high contract, beef up the right side of the offensive line with another Guard and Tackle, and aim to sign a guy like Zach Brown at LB. Depending on the money left, try to "Loomis" in a S like Micah Hyde.

Then in the draft, target DE and CB, then LB depending on who falls where. This is a great draft for CB and DE, and with the guys who have been franchise tagged, I feel safer drafting a couple of CBs for Dennis Allen and Aaron Glenn than overpaying for average CBs and breaking the bank for the handful of good to elite CBs.

Well they are going to sign a corner. Claiborne on a 1 year deal would be the best risk/reward signing by far IMO.

30 mill? Guards corners and pass rushers
We finally have money. Trade back for sproles and graham while we're at it:hihi:

It'll be difficult to compete with the likes of Cleveland which has over $100,000,000 in cap space and other teams like the 49'ers and Jaguars which each have over $70,000,000 and Tampa Bay and Tennessee which each has over $60,000,000.
Players dont wanna go there. Players do want to come here. Those teams might have 1 or 2 splash signings of players that want to be overpaid. Other than that we should compete just fine

It'll be difficult to compete with the likes of Cleveland which has over $100,000,000 in cap space and other teams like the 49'ers and Jaguars which each have over $70,000,000 and Tampa Bay and Tennessee which each has over $60,000,000.

But don't those teams historically stay well under the cap each and every year?! I think that's why they have so much so room in the first place.

I hope they sign players to bolster the Saints depth. No big free agent contracts.

I would agree with you in the old market, but in the new FA market where the Browns have $100 million and many other teams with over $40-60 million in cap space, an injury prone potential starting caliber corner would likely garner about $6 million.

I think this site is drastically underestimating expected salaries for potential starters. There is so much more money than starting caliber salaries, so solid starters are going to likely get $7-8 million at minimum. Good starters like warford and zeitler will probably get $8-10 million. Buoye and Gilmore will probably get about $12ish million.

Either teams are going to exhaust their money on oversized contracts for solid starters or they are going to use up the rest on richer than normal 1 year deals to wait things out until the market balances out. $27 million in this FA market is not a ton unfortunately.

I think you're pretty close on what these guys will get paid, average wise. I read an article today that said Zietler will get 10+ million a year and Warford 9+. I think Gilmore and Bouye will get 14ish million, especially from the Jets or Carolina who are both pretty desperate at corner.

Well, no one wants to go to Cleveland. So that helps.

But in regards to a team with 60m vs. us having 35m, there's really not much difference there when it comes to wanting to sign a specific player. NFL teams do not bid until someone runs out of money. The market will get set and teams will pay a certain amount for a certain caliber no matter how much cap space they actually have.

I would agree with you in the old market, but in the new FA market where the Browns have $100 million and many other teams with over $40-60 million in cap space, an injury prone potential starting caliber corner would likely garner about $6 million.

I think this site is drastically underestimating expected salaries for potential starters. There is so much more money than starting caliber salaries, so solid starters are going to likely get $7-8 million at minimum. Good starters like warford and zeitler will probably get $8-10 million. Buoye and Gilmore will probably get about $12ish million.

Either teams are going to exhaust their money on oversized contracts for solid starters or they are going to use up the rest on richer than normal 1 year deals to wait things out until the market balances out. $27 million in this FA market is not a ton unfortunately.

So bad team overpay for players? Ok? That happens literally every offseason in the NFL. So some really bad teams have a bunch of cap space? And? I am saying good teams don't overpay for average to below average players. Good teams don't write big checks to extremely suspect players then end up wondering why their team is bad. Good team's don't spend elite player money on above average players. Look at the Saints 2009-2011 roster. Just a bunch of smart signings and solid drafting produced the greatest three year run in franchise history. I see people freaking out about how they are concerned because the Saints "can't" get into a bidding war with other team's free cap space and I am just like, why though? The best years the team has ever had came when they signed guys who made sense and fit the system, and didn't try to "win" free agency.

Also, the Saints were never supposed to be in the running and had no chance of having the money to sign a high profile FS like Byrd... yet they signed Byrd. If the Saints really want someone, they'll get them.

So bad team overpay for players? Ok? That happens literally every offseason in the NFL. So some really bad teams have a bunch of cap space? And? I am saying good teams don't overpay for average to below average players. Good teams don't write big checks to extremely suspect players then end up wondering why their team is bad. Good team's don't spend elite player money on above average players. Look at the Saints 2009-2011 roster. Just a bunch of smart signings and solid drafting produced the greatest three year run in franchise history. I see people freaking out about how they are concerned because the Saints "can't" get into a bidding war with other team's free cap space and I am just like, why though? The best years the team has ever had came when they signed guys who made sense and fit the system, and didn't try to "win" free agency.

Also, the Saints were never supposed to be in the running and had no chance of having the money to sign a high profile FS like Byrd... yet they signed Byrd. If the Saints really want someone, they'll get them.

The guy is just saying the perception of what is overpaying needs to change.

One thing We're really underestimating is the Value of having a great QB some players are about the money I agree big time but you do have some players that wanna play with a great QB just as much.

The guy is just saying the perception of what is overpaying needs to change.

The cap going up doesn't mean teams should just automatically go "time to pay every FA more just because of the cap increase, regardless of their actual value." Giving a guy like Claiborne $6m/yr is absolutely insane. A cap increase or other teams having more cap space than the Saints doesn't justify handing a player with his kind of resume that kind of money.

The cap going up doesn't mean teams should just automatically go "time to pay every FA more just because of the cap increase, regardless of their actual value." Giving a guy like Claiborne $6m/yr is absolutely insane. A cap increase or other teams having more cap space than the Saints doesn't justify handing a player with his kind of resume that kind of money.

But that's the end effect. 3-4M players are now worth 6-8M. The rapid cap increases didn't give the teams the ability to sign a larger group of better players, it just caused teams pay more for the same quality players they were getting before.

The average salary in the US was $19,000 in 1980. The average is now $45,000, but we aren't still paying $7,000 for a new car. Inflation is a cruel master.

But that's the end effect. 3-4M players are now worth 6-8M. The rapid cap increases didn't give the teams the ability to sign a larger group of better players, it just caused teams pay more for the same quality players they were getting before.

The average salary in the US was $19,000 in 1980. The average is now $45,000, but we aren't still paying $7,000 for a new car. Inflation is a cruel master.

But at the same time, the average quality of car and features provided in 1980 compared to now is dramatically better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom