NFL should never return to Mexico City (1 Viewer)

If we were going to put a team outside of the US. Toronto would be the place. Hopefully you can make it work geographically. If it were the Jaguars just put them in the AFC East and the Dolphins in the AFC South. I don't know how it would work for the Chargers. Well I do know but the NFL would never go for it. Cowboys in the AFC west and Toronto Chargers in the NFC East.

I'm pretty sure there's a no compete agreement between the NFL and the CFL, so Toronto isn't gonna happen even if the NFL wanted it. I can't remember where I read it though.

I'm pretty sure there's a no compete agreement between the NFL and the CFL, so Toronto isn't gonna happen even if the NFL wanted it. I can't remember where I read it though.

I know this is wiki,but it's the best I could find at the moment. I remember reading an article several years ago about rumors of
the Bills relocating to Toronto after the death of long time owner Ralph Wilson. It turned out to be baseless rumors. The article
went on to say there is a gentlemens agreement among NFL owners to never expand into Canada. The reason was it could
start a domino effect that could bankrupt the league.

I don't know. I remember talk about it when the bills were playing home games in Toronto. It's not really competition since the CFL mostly plays during the summer.

I don't know. I remember talk about it when the bills were playing home games in Toronto. It's not really competition since the CFL mostly plays during the summer.

Yeah, faceman addressed that in the post right above yours.

Yeah, faceman addressed that in the post right above yours.

I saw he posted a wiki article. I can create my own if I want to. I don't think there will ever be a team in Mexico City. But I believe there would be one in Canada first. You don't have to agree. That's fine.

Last edited:
I saw he posted a wiki article. I can create my own if I want to. I don't think there will ever be a team in Mexico City. But I believe there would be one in Canada first. You don't have to agree. That's fine.

Yeah, well I read an article on it somewhere else. I don't recall where, but there supposedly is an agreement with Canada that the NFL and CFL will not encroach on each other's territory. There's no such agreement with anyone in Mexico.

That said, I don't think the NFL should be looking outside the country to expand anyway. I like the 32 teams and 4 teams each division. It's worked well for a wile now. And if a team wants to move, there are plenty of willing hosts in the US.

I know this is wiki,but it's the best I could find at the moment. I remember reading an article several years ago about rumors of
the Bills relocating to Toronto after the death of long time owner Ralph Wilson. It turned out to be baseless rumors. The article
went on to say there is a gentlemens agreement among NFL owners to never expand into Canada. The reason was it could
start a domino effect that could bankrupt the league.

The NFL experiment in Canada failed for only one reason: it was cheaper for a fan in Toronto to travel to Buffalo than to watch the games in Toronto. Yes, they hiked the prices that much.

Toronto is a very expensive sports city. Same happens in hockey. When the Maple Leafs visit Montreal and Ottawa, the arenas are full with travelling fans that can't afford a ticket at Toronto's arena.

I wrote about this several years ago, the CFL and NFL are totally different markets. CFL tickets are way cheaper, the salary cap per team is around 5 million per team. A totally different model. And in a way, a different style of the sport.

An NFL team in Toronto would not kill the CFL, I doubt even will kill the Toronto Argonauts.

However, an NFL team in Toronto will certainly kill the Buffalo Bills.

Last edited:
Yeah, well I read an article on it somewhere else. I don't recall where, but there supposedly is an agreement with Canada that the NFL and CFL will not encroach on each other's territory. There's no such agreement with anyone in Mexico.

That said, I don't think the NFL should be looking outside the country to expand anyway. I like the 32 teams and 4 teams each division. It's worked well for a wile now. And if a team wants to move, there are plenty of willing hosts in the US.

I guess that came up after the CFL left the US? Because I used to be a season ticket holder for a CFL team. Had no impact on the Saints. If it impacted anything it was college football. And I guess the Bills series in Canada was okay....

Either way it doesn't matter. You can have your opinion and I can have mine.

I mean.. The lights did go off in the Superdome for a while during a Super Bowl. Should the NFL never have returned there?
Yeah, but the Superdome and New Orleans had a long track record of many SuperBowls without a glitch to offset ONE with a problem, the same can't be said for Mexico City.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom