NFL should never return to Mexico City (1 Viewer)

They promised the field would not be an issue.

Some schmuck was on the ESPN pregame telecast saying how great the condition of the field was, uh yeah.

A year after turf problems forced a game to be moved, Estadio Azteca still doesn't look ready for NFL football.

You should see what some of the fields look like in the SEC. Everybody getting injured on that Mississippi State field.

System, I see you've been watching Ozark too. I am now halfway through the second season and can honestly vouch for the actual authenticity and accuracy of how most Latin American drug cartels, from Columbia to Brazil, Mexico to Guatemala, and Paraguay to Bolivia to Peru and Chile deal with two-timing mules, coyotes, suspected DEA agents working in conjunction with Brazilian, Mexican, and Columbian national police task forces. I have also heard that FARC has some pretty nasty, violent ways or techniques in dealing with captured prisoners or kidnapped tourists ransomed for money and when they don't get it in an appropriate time and suitable manner, they become disposable.

I heard some stories many years ago that the now-defunct Shining Path Marxist guerrillas in Peru would actually garrot their victims to the point of suffocation, then let them slowly regain consciousness, tie their hands behind their backs while putting a blindfold around their faces and them shoot them in the back of the heads. Shining Path, as far as I know, never got too heavily involved in using drug trafficking as a means to fund their operations, although it wouldn't surprise me if contradictory evidence showed otherwise, but irregardless, the group actually targeted DEA agents and major drug or human traffickers who they believed exploited or used remote jungle tribesmen as slave labor to produce, distribute, and smuggle their products across Latin America and USA, Canada, and Europe. At least this was a major part of the groups philosophy at first, like the IRA/Sein Fein in Ireland after Good Friday agreements in 1997, they could have easily started working in sex and human trafficking, and drug running like many former IRA leaders and members began doing about 2 decades ago in Ulster, Belfast, and even all over Republic of Ireland.

Chiefs got reffed. Why did the clock stop after Williams catch?

I don’t believe he was contacted after he had possession of the ball. He then stepped out as he got up.

The old veterans stadium in philly was the worst. It ended the careers of Wendell Davis and Michael Irving

I remember on the first season of Hard Knocks, Brian Billick was livid about the field conditions when the Ravens were supposed to play the Eagles in a preseason game. They ended up cancelling the game because it was deemed unsafe.

This is the whole episode, but the part with the field starts at 36:30

CBS: Ravens-Eagles preseason game cancelled in 2001

I was just thinking to myself watching this game that if the NFL is serious about going international, a team in Mexico City makes a hell of alot more sense than London, maybe they can get the field right if they have a full-time team...

System, I see you've been watching Ozark too.
No. I read El Excelsior every couple days or so.

I am now halfway through the second season and can honestly vouch for the actual authenticity and accuracy of how most Latin American drug cartels, from Columbia to Brazil, Mexico to Guatemala, and Paraguay to Bolivia to Peru and Chile deal with two-timing mules, coyotes, suspected DEA agents working in conjunction with Brazilian, Mexican, and Columbian national police task forces.
You can vouch for that?

I don’t believe he was contacted after he had possession of the ball. He then stepped out as he got up.

I remember on the first season of Hard Knocks, Brian Billick was livid about the field conditions when the Ravens were supposed to play the Eagles in a preseason game. They ended up cancelling the game because it was deemed unsafe.

This is the whole episode, but the part with the field starts at 36:30

CBS: Ravens-Eagles preseason game cancelled in 2001

He was definitely touched on the way down, but he was also very close to the sideline. I'm not sure a part of his body touched a part of the sideline when he was ruled down. The announcers were complaining that the clock shouldn't have been stopped, but I wasn't sure if they were right. I didn't see a good sideline view of it though.

I missed big chunks of the game last night, but from the parts I saw, it seemed officiated well enough.

Edit, watching the play again this morning. He clearly was down by contact inbounds. Should have been a running clock. They'd lose like 5-6 seconds to set up a spike. The point is moot though as KC won anyway.

Rivers needs to retire. Sad to watch how bad he was last night. He's got his family, and I think he'll be a good media guy if he wants to go that route.

Last edited:
I mean.. The lights did go off in the Superdome for a while during a Super Bowl. Should the NFL never have returned there?

Yeah, I agree. Although I'd argue that they've had a lot of time to get that issue sorted out. I don't understand why the NFL wouldn't have an expert go down and advise them on getting a better field done. It was playable, but any time you saw people making big cuts or tackles, you'd see a lot of grass and dirt flying around. Plenty of large divots in the ground. I've seen worse in the past, but it's rarer these days with the advancements of surface management across the league.

Not an injury concern. So the answer is yes.

Well, one could argue the lights going off is a safety issue, hehe. They did have to stop play during that incident, but yeah, they are different. Mexico has had more than enough time to fix that issue though.

They promised the field would not be an issue.

Some schmuck was on the ESPN pregame telecast saying how great the condition of the field was, uh yeah.

A year after turf problems forced a game to be moved, Estadio Azteca still doesn't look ready for NFL football.
Anyone watching the game should have noticed at halftime, a groundskeeper repairing divots much like you would do on a golf course. I have to admit, I have never seen that occur at a game at a NFL stadium.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom