Article NFL star Alvin Kamara has a $75 million contract, but hasn’t spent a dime of his football earnings (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
1617845970329.png

By Nicolas Vega | CNBC

Four-time Pro Bowl running back Alvin Kamara may have a $75 million contract to his name, but the Saints’ superstar is still ready to go back to his days surviving off a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter if he needs to.

The 25-year-old is conscious of living well within his means, he says in a recent interview for Uninterrupted’s “Kneading Dough” series. [MOD NOTE: the link in this sentence gets you to the full YouTube video]

“I’ve always known the value of a dollar,” the Georgia native says.

It’s a lesson he learned from his mother, who taught him the importance of hard work. “As a kid, I saw my mom work multiple jobs only to be able to afford the bare essentials.”

That appreciation for financial security has led him to be a savvy spender since his first day as an NFL player, when he received his signing bonus and only treated himself to a chicken wing dinner.

Full Story - CNBC

Last edited:

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Going back a ways ... but Bernie Kosar didn't spend his rookie signing bonus with Browns. Instead, he invested it and lived off the returns, which were roughly $80,000 - $100,000 per year during his first few years in the league.
If memory serves he graduated (early) with a double major in Finance/Economics....I majored in Finance but wound up with a career in the IT field....the most valuable (and practical) thing I learned is that it is not hard to make money if you have some....

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
If memory serves [Kosar] graduated (early) with a double major in Finance/Economics ...
Not sure about his majors without looking it up ... but he definitely did graduate early. He graduated during the summer about two months after the 1985 draft, and was able to declare for the 1985 supplemental draft. Some reading on how it all went down:

EDIT: You were on the money (no pun) about his double major:

Last edited:

Broad St. Saint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Having watched videos of him snowboarding, a good investment would be a slopeside house in a prime ski area. Can generate income via rental. Likely to gain if we continue in this asset rise economy. Even if it doesn’t appreciate or rent out, there’s imputed income.

tonythesaint

Pro-Bowler
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
San Diego, CA by way of McComb, Mississippi
Going back a ways ... but Bernie Kosar didn't spend his rookie signing bonus with Browns. Instead, he invested it and lived off the returns, which were roughly $80,000 - $100,000 per year during his first few years in the league.
Unfortunately for Bernie he still ended up being a cautionary tale for athletes.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

NeverGiveUP2

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I just put that #@$# in the bank and buy me so #$#! $#%$ wings

Love me some AK41

Nonreg

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
As many have pointed out already, I’m sure he makes plenty of money else where.

It’s like growing up in a rich household, starting your own car business and saying “I never touched any of my family business”

Sure, but you still have loads from another source

bigdaddysaints

BigDaddy Has Arrived
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
2 people replied without reading the article. if your gonna have a rebuttal, at least read the article.. smh..
He is definitely cut from a different cloth than most NFL players..

ANKOMA33

All-Pro
Reaction score
Many years ago Shaq was interviewed by a late show guy (forget the name) & he stated he lives off his endorsements (he has a lot) as well. Never touched his actual contract earnings over the years from Orlando/Lakers. Same goes for Jamal Mashburn. Sharp guys who have sound financial advisors in their camp.

AK is just a different dude. He so young but talks and carries himself like a 40 year old. Maturity on and off the field.

Big fan of AK.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom