NFL still mulling pass interference review options (1 Viewer)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
First, it could exempt pass interference decisions from booth reviews during the final two minutes of each half, as originally proposed. Instead, the committee has discussed the possibility of extending coach's challenges into that time period for pass interference only. Otherwise, close games could be subject to multiple booth reviews and extended delays to inspect pass interference calls or non-calls.

Second, Hail Mary plays could be made exempt from challenges. The committee would have to write a formal definition of Hail Mary plays, chairman Rich McKay told reporters Tuesday.
"We really don't want our games to end on a review,'' McKay said.
Wednesday's action will allow the committee to make changes to the new rule without seeking further approval from owners. A decision is expected before the preseason begins.

Here's where the pass interference review/challenge stands. There's also some other tidbits about other rule changes and whatnot in the article, but I posted the relevant portions as it concerns PI reviews and challenges.

If Hail Mary are made exempt. Then, they should also be exempt from offensive/ defensive pass interference like it should be. Nobody should get rewarded with a call in hail Mary situations.

Still salty that one if not only offensive passing interference on a hail Mary happened against us and it was a boogus flop.

Still salty that one if not only offensive passing interference on a hail Mary happened against us and it was a boogus flop.
It doesn't eat my lunch or anything but whenever someone mentions it, like you just did, I sure get pretty salty too.

This is getting to be as needlessly complicated as following lawmaking procedures in Congress or in the Legislature. Let the coaches challenge no-calls on possible pass interference at any point in the game , and be done with it!

Anything else is just trying to circumvent what happened to us in the NFCCG.

Don't just allow challenges of no calls. Implement some form of penalty to refs that miss blatant calls. Like attach electrodes to various parts of their anatomy... the more egregious the call, the higher the voltage.

They'd start getting it right pretty quickly.

And just to be accurate here: Not making a call is making a call.

I just saw it again today on a show, and I still can't believe it. It'll go down as the worst no-call in NFL history.

"We really don't want our games to end on a review,'' McKay said.

Well, all scoring plays are already reviewed under current rule so they already end on a review.:shrug:

If Hail Mary are made exempt. Then, they should also be exempt from offensive/ defensive pass interference like it should be. Nobody should get rewarded with a call in hail Mary situations.

TRUTH. Preach on, brother.

I think the college system is much better. I don't like the review being forced on coaches in the final seconds of the game. Unless you remove the rule to hold a time out hostage and execute it on a failed challenge.

Imagine if the Saints had no TO at the end there to challenge? You wind up with the same ending of a blown call that should have been corrected.

While they are at it, a targeting rule and booth review for helmet shots should be in place. Defenders should be removed from the game for shots like that. Think about how many games we've lost when the other team targets a key players head and takes him out of the game. Yet that defender gets to play on. No, they should miss as much time as they cause to be missed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom