N/S NFL still using officials to keep viewers by keeping game close (1 Viewer)

That call on the possible helmet-to-helmet goes both ways but mostly goes uncalled. The defender typically gets benefit of the doubt when he's got his eyes on the QB's chest and leads with his facemask vs. his actual helmet. It wasn't really helmet to helmet so much as it was facemask to facemask. I'm okay with the non call there.
It's definitely a judgment call and in this case I was fine with the flag not being thrown since it wasn't a lopsided officiating performance with the same call going against the niners.

I also would have been fine with the flag being thrown since he did hit him in the chinstrap and they say "head and neck area."

It's definitely a judgment call and in this case I was fine with the flag not being thrown since it wasn't a lopsided officiating performance with the same call going against the niners.

I also would have been fine with the flag being thrown since he did hit him in the chinstrap and they say "head and neck area."

Yeah. The issue here is, per usual, one of consistency, not necessarily one particular call. Much like Kittle getting flagged and Rudolph not getting flagged for similar plays where Rudolph's was actually more egregious.

The officiating is more inconsistent than ever. It's either gross incompetence or something more nefarious. I'm not sure which.

As long as the score was close the officials called a relatively fair game. Once score got lopsided enough to encourage people to no longer watch they used the yellow hankies to tighten up the score and keep viewers.
San Fran intercepts a KC scoring drive in the early fourth quarter pretty much assuring viewers would consider it a game over and leave. Amazingly on third down Garapolo is smashed to with the ground with full helmet to helmet contact. No flag because KC getting the ball back keeps viewers.
Will the Super bowl ever be truly earned again? I'm a Chiefs fan so my bias tends to the Chiefs. Without the officials they probably would never have won the game. Shame we can never know because they will ALWAYS do that unless the fans stop it.
Kris

Bro, you talking about the play @insidejob posted? How you described it, I thought I was going to see a player launch helmet-to-helmet! I didn't see a penalty. Dude was just making a tackle and ran through Jimmy G small tail. If you want to slow down every tackle to see if a centimeter of a helmet touches a helmet to determine a penalty = it is a penalty.

Oh man.......when Jimmy G was laying on the ground, acting like a drama queen, holding his head.......I thought they would nail the Chiefs with a penalty. Jimmy G’s head had actually flown back, in midair.

For ONCE I was proud of the refs.....they actually just let the players play. ?

I agree!

Was it just me or did the Zebras miss a blatant Offside in the 4th when 2 KC defenders jumped the snap on a crucial 3rd Down just when it looked as if the Niners were going to grind it out on their 10 point lead?

Was it just me or did the Zebras miss a blatant Offside in the 4th when 2 KC defenders jumped the snap on a crucial 3rd Down just when it looked as if the Niners were going to grind it out on their 10 point lead?

That was actually a false start against San Francisco that wasn't called. The defensive lineman jumped because the 49ers right guard moved well before the snap.

Watch the right guard:

I saw a different play this morning in the article linked about SF blaming the loss on the refs where it sure looked like a helmet to helmet shot. Jimmy G's head snapped back and he was laying on the ground holding it (playing it up for the flag obviously, but he didn't get it.)

ETA: Looks like the crown/front of the helmet hits him right in the chinstrap.

That's the play I was referring to. I thought it hit him in the shoulder pads, but I can see how the helmet slid up and made contact with the head and neck area. It's a bit of a judgement call. I've seen most of those type of hits go uncalled. If the defender initiates contact in the area, they'll call a penalty, but if it starts below and slides up, they're not calling it as much as they used to.

It's the same thing with contact to the head. Mahomes got whacked in the face at least twice and G got smacked in the face once as well as this hit. None were called. It seems like if there is incidental contact with the QB's face, officials aren't calling it anymore. I'm ok with it as long as the calls are consistent.

I saw a different play this morning in the article linked about SF blaming the loss on the refs where it sure looked like a helmet to helmet shot. Jimmy G's head snapped back and he was laying on the ground holding it (playing it up for the flag obviously, but he didn't get it.)

ETA: Looks like the crown/front of the helmet hits him right in the chinstrap.

I think SF has Special Classes every Tues on "DRAMA - How to Draw a Flag!"

And 31 teams fans don't care... as usual. I mean, we're talking about it, but we're not mad. The SF fans are crying about it of course, and the NFL doesn't even have to respond. They just sit back and let the other 31 teams forums, facebook, twitter, etc... handle the damage control for them. "Stop crying!" "Get over it!" "Fourty-Whiners!".

That was actually a false start against San Francisco that wasn't called. The defensive lineman jumped because the 49ers right guard moved well before the snap.

Watch the right guard:

Speaking of false starts & penalties.....

The night before the SB, at the awards show, Steve Harvey did one of the best comedy routines EVER!!! He was beyond hilarious ?

Harvey called out Roger right there in the audience, for how STUPID the false starts & some of the penalties are ???

The players were laughing so hard, some of them were wiping away tears ??

Then Harvey put on a big fur coat that he said he bought at auction, that belonged to Joe Namath.

Harvey said, “wait a minute, there is something in the pocket,” and he pulls out a pair of pantyhose!

Then Harvey says, “wait there is something else. A little black book!” He opens the book. “Betty
White?” By this time, Joe Namath is laughing so hard, I thought he would have a stroke.

Then Harvey says, “why are there 3 stars by Betty White’s name?”

Totally fun stuff!!! ????

Under Tagliablue, Super Bowls were often blowouts... under Goodell, they almost never are.

I'll let you draw conclusions from there.

Watch the right guard:

The flop by Jimmy G when he got shoved out of bounds to try and draw a flag probably contributed to him and the 49ers in general not getting some of the judgment call type of penalties. If a referee sees you consistently flopping or embellishing hits to make them look worse than they really are, it's human nature to think it's a possibility that you're flopping on a legitimate penalty.

That's one thing I do like about the Saints. They don't flop much, if ever. I do think when there's a legit and obvious illegal hit that the player should "sell it" - ie: TLL hopping right up and returning to the huddle in the NFCCG on the NOLA no call instead of laying there grabbing his head. If he'd have just stayed down, he could have possibly gotten the second missed call of head to head shot on a defenseless receiver on that play. If you're not out there making it look worse than it is on every little hit, then the officials aren't going to be looking for you to flop.

Any calls being questioned were marginal at best, nothing was blatantly missed or called incorrectly.

The go ahead TD was gonna stand whichever way they called it.

The OPI was the same extended arm that cost the Saints vs the Vikings. That needs to be called.

The helmet to helmet was really marginal at best.

The 49ers lost this game. No one to blame but themselves.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom