NFL Teams are 294-3947 all-time when allowing 34 or more points, Look no further then the Defense (1 Viewer)

sketchi

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but seeing as there are waaaaay to many threads laying this loss at the feet of Drew Brees or the offence, I think t deserves its own thread. When allowing 34 or more points teams are just 294-3947 or 7.4% win percentage. Since arriving in New Orleans Drew Brees is 6-3 in such games or 66% win percentage, waaaay above the league average.

The offense wasn't perfect for sure. But it seams like a lot of people are searching for reasons to blame things the already hold bias against (Sean's play calling, Drew's age, the offensive talent out side of Mike Thomas) when the obvious explanation stares them in the face: the defense gave up an almost insurmountable amount of points and time of possession.

In a way these numbers do confirm what some of you are suggesting, that our hall of fame QB can no longer carry a poor team effort to victory, but it hardly warrants all this "Drew is done" "time to move on" talk.

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread, but seeing as there are waaaaay to many threads laying this loss at the feet of Drew Brees or the offence, I think t deserves its own thread. When allowing 34 or more points teams are just 101-603 or 16% win percentage. Since arriving in New Orleans Drew Brees is 6-3 (including tonight) in games where the team allows the opponent 34 or more points or 66% win percentage, waaaay above the league average.

The offense wasn't perfect for sure. But it seams like a lot of people are searching for reasons to blame things the already hold bias against (Sean's play calling, Drew's age, the offensive talent out side of Mike Thomas) when the obvious explanation stares them in the face: the defense gave up an almost insurmountable amount of points and time of possession.

In a way these numbers do confirm what some of you are suggesting, that our hall of fame QB can no longer carry a poor team effort to victory, but it hardly warrants all this "Drew is done" "time to move on" talk.
It kind of does if this is the defense...

He might not be done paired with a stout defense, but he may be with this one.

He's not going to be able to do shootouts or comebacks that require 50 passes week in week out, kind of the way he throw so much in those 7-9 years. I think the number of pass attempts per game also correlates with winning and losing.

Unfortunately Brees will always carry the burden when the team loses no matter how bad the defenses are. It’s a standard this fan base has set over the years. The truth is, this team can not afford to play poorly on defense and expect to win consistently. That will never change.

Really trying to spin this all on the defense. We had a 10 point lead. We should of kept scoring.
It’s the glaring truth no “spin” required, and mostly an antidote to the multiple anti-offense threads and the zero (at this time) defense critical threads.

We did keep scoring 14 more points.
It kind of does if this is the defense...

He might not be done paired with a stout defense, but he may be with this one.
Well that’s a moot point, because who could? I’m suggesting that almost no one could, certainly not Taysom, Jamies or Teddy for that matter. So who? Maybe Mahomes?

Point is the defense need to play better for us to have a shot, period.

I posted this in another thread, but seeing as there are waaaaay to many threads laying this loss at the feet of Drew Brees or the offence, I think t deserves its own thread. When allowing 34 or more points teams are just 101-603 or 16% win percentage. Since arriving in New Orleans Drew Brees is 6-3 (including tonight) in games where the team allows the opponent 34 or more points or 66% win percentage, waaaay above the league average.

Agree. Our offense didn’t have a great game at all, but we averaged 5.9 on the ground and 8.2 per pass attempt. That’s good enough to win most games. But not with that many penalties (O and D) and a non existing 3rd down Defense.

Yeah well... they started playing like poop before that started happening.

So, at half time, the game was 17-17. Right? What happens in the 2nd half?

The offense not only stops scoring, but can't hold onto the ball. The Raiders end up having the ball for 13+ minutes longer than the Saints.

Now, obviously, not allowing other teams to score is very important to the final score. However:
1. The rules are stacked in favor of the offense.
2. The offense has control of the ball, not the defense.

We averaged almost 7.5yds per play this game. We just only ran 57 plays, Largely due to penalties, and yes poor play on defense that sustained drives. You won’t win many games giving up 30+ points in this league, and even fewer with that many plays run on offense.

You are absolutely correct to point out that the defense has hold their own for us to win games. It’s unreasonable to expect Drew to be able to win shootout games for us at this point in his career. The offense wasn’t hitting on all cylinders, but given enough opportunities, it was more than efficient enough to win today. Long sustained game killing drives by the Raiders absolutely killed us today.

So, at half time, the game was 17-17. Right? What happens in the 2nd half?

The offense not only stops scoring, but can't hold onto the ball. The Raiders end up having the ball for 13+ minutes longer than the Saints.

Now, obviously, not allowing other teams to score is very important to the final score. However:
1. The rules are stacked in favor of the offense.
2. The offense has control of the ball, not the defense.
I'd argue we were up 10-0 when the defense turned into wet toast and couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. How many of those did we give up? Out of how many times? They had 4 drives of 10 or more plays. And if you want to get technical, the Saints only had one 3 and out.

I have no problem saying the offense was pitiful aside from 2 drives, but the defense was way worse. The secondary specifically was the worst.

I'm not sure where you got those figures from but either you made some serious error trying to convey what you actually meant to say or the source you're referencing needs to put down the ether rag. For starters, we've had WAY more than just 9 games with Brees where the defense allowed 34 or more points. I just checked it myself and I only had to check games through 2012 to exceed the so-called 9 games thing mentioned in your post, even if we omit the playoff games against the Bears (2006 NFCCG, 39 points) and the Seahawks (2010 wildcard, 41 points).

Just looking at the span from 2006-12, we have 14 regular season games where the team allowed 34+ points and our record was 1-13 in those (the lone win being the comeback in 2009 to beat the Dolphins 46-34).

Really trying to spin this all on the defense. We had a 10 point lead. We should of kept scoring.

Unfortunately the game doesn't end in the 1st quarter. Sucks, I know. We scored on 3 of 5 possessions in the 1st half. Offense deserves quite a bit of blame, indeed. Drew INT, 4 wide open drops (2 Sanders, 1 Harris, 1 Montgomery), and a penalty plagued drive on our first drive of the 3rd quarter. But do not get this twisted. Our pass defense was B-A-D. After their second drive, they started getting the ball out quick and we didn't adjust at all. We let their best player beat us in single coverage far too many times. After the 2nd drive they were 10-15 on 3rd down and 2-2 on 4th down. And like @Alaina said, they had four drives that were 10+ plays. Our inability to get off the field on a single third down allowed them to literally hold the ball the entire game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom