NFL to Consider Rule on Runners Lowering Helmets (1 Viewer)

mid-city fan

Section 142
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In addition to the previously publicized attempt to change the Chop Block rule, it now looks like the NFL Owners will also be asked to consider a major change to the rule regarding the use of the helmet by runners and defenders.

N.F.L. to Consider Rule on Runners Lowering Helmets - NYTimes.com

N.F.L. to Consider Rule on Runners Lowering Helmets - N.F.L. owners will consider a significant rule change[/URL] at their annual meeting next week that would prohibit players – runners and defenders – from using the crown of their helmets to initiate contact and deliver a forcible blow.

New rule: nFL players must walk(speed walking is acceptable), and must stand completely upright.

padding.jpg

I believe this stems more from offensive players lowering their helmets into the defenders..then the defenders getting penalized for a head to head hit.

I have a feel that by the time Drew retires, I'll be completely over the NFL. This is coming from a die hard.

Huh. If this had happened a few years ago PT wouldn't have gotten knocked the **** out in the playoffs against San Francisco.

probably going to be flag football where the flags don't come off, to make it look rough , LOL

Here is what really sticks with me. The league continues this process of changing the rules of the game in the name of player safety. They also adapted a policy of levying large fines on players after games for hits that are determined to be excessive and yet sometimes legal.

However, I have yet to hear the league make any mention to changing the on field penalties for "flagrant personal fouls". Changing the penalties to where a player has to sit out for a series and/or be ejected from the game for these hits would be more of a deterrant than anything the league has discussed but it has not even been a topic for discussions that I know of. The league is so focused on changing the game as we know it yet not one player has been ejected or banned from the game for a "flagrant foul."

Does it seem the owners are playing a shell game with the players and fans to water the game down in the name of safety while the real intent is to build and extend the careers of their cash cow STAR players?

soon, contact will be ruled conduct detrimental to the money factory, erm, I mean, league.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom