NFL to play in Engladn again in 2008 (1 Viewer)

I live in Scotland and I hope it's not the Saints either!! The only good thing about it would be the non stop TV coverage about the Saints all the time over here. But when I make it to my 1st game i want the full New Orleans experience I want to party with all you guy's and take in the atmosphere! So please no Saints in the UK

If it were somebody else's home game though, would everyone still be against it?

Obviously I'm biased here, because if the Saints were involved I would be at that game whatever it took, but I think raising the profile of the Saints worldwide isn't a bad thing.

In all honestly, the number of Saints fans in the UK and Ireland is probably below 50. I think it is more in mainland Europe, and the majority in Scandanavia, as our games are on there a lot, and I often find myself watching Danish or Norwegian online streams.
I would say the number of Cowboy, Giants and Pats fans here would each surpass 20, 000 at least. There are 2 people I know in school who follow this game, and both times, when I told them I was a Saints fan, 'Who are they?' was the response. Look on NFLUK.com for example, and see how much Saints stuff you can find. The Saints thread has been on for 5 years, and has 17 pages of posts.

Surely a game covered by the national media, and broadcast live worldwide, can only be good for us? I understand that I am in the tiny majority here though.

If it were for game where I wouldn't consider traveling (and very few teams fit this bill), then I wouldn't mind...

I wouldn't go to Baltimore or Philadelphia, as examples, but most of the teams they'll try to get to play the London game would be for teams I'd travel to see us play against.

And while getting to witness a sporting event in Wembley is a dream of mine, that trip is much further down the line; at which point, my opinion on this all may change anyway.

BORING ! give hamburg, frankfurt , düsseldorf or collogne the game , we have three times the fan base , that england have.....

disgusting !

Look on NFLUK.com for example, and see how much Saints stuff you can find. The Saints thread has been on for 5 years, and has 17 pages of posts.

Are you on NFLUK.com Zorro?? It's pretty just me and 2 other members that continute to the Saints thread!! We are Prob 1 of the worst supported teams on the site you are correct there.

I still think the NFL tried to run before they could walk. They should have put two teams per year on the schedule to play in LA for their AWAY game. There would have been no impact to their home revenue and been able to sweeten the pot and fanbase. Heck, if it is PROVEN to be successful for the players, coaches, and owners....they could get to a point where each week two teams that are scheduled to have an away game play in LA. I can't see how the stadiums overseas are so superior to the Coliseum?????? Doesn't a soccer stadium hold like 100k and I believe the the Coliseum does too.

This whole thing about what team is considered home and away is for the birds. International market should be introduced to NFL Network. They could improve the awareness of the game to more people and THEN....make a stronger play for overseas play. Get the teams prepared for the travels and ease everyone into the situation. It's take 38 years to have a game overseas. Why do they feel it all has to be up and running in a two year span?? Too big of a hurry to make a buck and I think they'll wind up getting more people mad than satisfied when it's all said and done.....fans, players, coaches, owners.

Blame society for the latter half of your post, it's the want-everything-now consumers that spoil the cultivation of what could become a good thing. But I'm not gonna get psycho-social on SSF, so I'll stop there.

. International market should be introduced to NFL Network. They could improve the awareness of the game to more people and THEN....make a stronger play for overseas play..
We already have NFL Network, not an actual channel, but we get Total Access every day, Playbook, WhoIs, America's Game and NFL Weekly Review. Apart from Replay and some NFL Films stuff, the only thing we're missing is contant repeats of what has already been on.

anybody who thinks football is strictly an american game, is mistaken. I think the england idea is a good one. football, if marketed right, can sell in any country in the world. people want to see the best,however,pick the right matchups and start small, one two games a year, do some marketing and find out which teams have the highest fan base, play it smart and expand across the pond.

We already have NFL Network, not an actual channel, but we get Total Access every day, Playbook, WhoIs, America's Game and NFL Weekly Review. Apart from Replay and some NFL Films stuff, the only thing we're missing is contant repeats of what has already been on.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The NFL Network would love nothing better than to go worldwide and the only way to drum up real interest is to have the guys there in person. From there i'd guess Germany, Japan, and then the middle east (believe it or not.. big following there).

anybody who thinks football is strictly an american game, is mistaken. I think the england idea is a good one. football, if marketed right, can sell in any country in the world. people want to see the best,however,pick the right matchups and start small, one two games a year, do some marketing and find out which teams have the highest fan base, play it smart and expand across the pond.

This just isn't so....you may be able to get a foot hold in some european countries but most of the world is very poor and cannot afford all the equipment necessary to support teams from Pee-Wee on up....soccer only requires a ball and an open field.....Please visit Brazil,Africa,India and Asia
before making another post on the "world".....if you had you would know this is never gonna happen......

They could change the Patriots punishment and make them play a home game in England against the Colts or Chargers. Patriots fans have gotten a lot of home games, can afford to lose one, and in a sense may most deserve to lose one. Also, the Patriots seem to like a challenge.

This just isn't so....you may be able to get a foot hold in some european countries but most of the world is very poor and cannot afford all the equipment necessary to support teams from Pee-Wee on up....soccer only requires a ball and an open field.....Please visit Brazil,Africa,India and Asia
before making another post on the "world".....if you had you would know this is never gonna happen......

That's very true. Nonetheless, the market for the NFL could quadruple if focused on the regions where there is some minority interest - Western and Central Europe, Russia, Japan, Australia/NZ, Canada, Mexico. It's a fairly underdeveloped market and even a small percentage of increase means a great deal in terms of revenue.

What's the advantage of the Saints playing in London? More marketing opportunities and merchandise sales. As has been pointed out, the number of saints fans in Europe is minimal when compared to the more 'popular' teams. This exposure might go some way to reversing that.

And more revenues for the Saints means a better team and a greater chance that the team will stay in a small market like New Orleans.

That's very true. Nonetheless, the market for the NFL could quadruple if focused on the regions where there is some minority interest - Western and Central Europe, Russia, Japan, Australia/NZ, Canada, Mexico. It's a fairly underdeveloped market and even a small percentage of increase means a great deal in terms of revenue.

What's the advantage of the Saints playing in London? More marketing opportunities and merchandise sales. As has been pointed out, the number of saints fans in Europe is minimal when compared to the more 'popular' teams. This exposure might go some way to reversing that.

And more revenues for the Saints means a better team and a greater chance that the team will stay in a small market like New Orleans.

I see the premise of your post but I shudder at the thought of Payton "getting too cute" for the INTERNATIONAL STAGE!!! and clunking something horrible.

(Someone will probably read this and want to respond with some vitriol cheapening my status as a Saints fan; in advance, PM me or spare me, but most importantly spare the forum. It's a geniune feeling I have.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom