NFL to play 'Lift Every Voice and Sing' before National Anthem in Week 1 (3 Viewers)

I don't even agree with it even then. Just state your opinion.

ok

When we had thumbs, if you (global you) complained about red thumbs, I red thumbed you. So when you complained about a face palm, I face palmed you.

QED

Back on topic. I like the Tuskegee airmen suggestion. There are some good ones out there.

Also Snyder is seriously terrible.

My wife is...strongly encouraging me to read this article
(When black people are in pain, white people just join book clubs)

This is the part that best describes my feelings.

I’d like to think that well-meaning, invested white people are really gathering to talk about books to instruct themselves on how they can do more and do better, but it’s hard to believe that that’s really what most of them are working toward. You’ve had access to instruction about black humanity, freedom, mobility, happiness and health since we were brought here.

ok

When we had thumbs, if you (global you) complained about red thumbs, I red thumbed you. So when you complained about a face palm, I face palmed you.

QED

Back on topic. I like the Tuskegee airmen suggestion. There are some good ones out there.

Also Snyder is seriously terrible.

Last word on the subject.

And I'll stop a hijack I didn't mean to happen.

You were perfectly nice to me when I PMed you about tech issues.

And thanks.

I was able to fix the problem.

It is another country’s national anthem and is played in a reciprocal way, as the Canadians do for the U.S. anthem. So what about all other anthems? Black anthem? What country is that? It is specific to a RACE, not a country and pure stupidity by Goodell! He is doing an excellent job of creating more divisiveness. Imagine IF the stadiums were full of fans what the outcome would be. Most whites and many non blacks, would sit for the black anthem and the majority of blacks would sit for the national anthem. So what did Goodell do?

I don't think you understand this "black" anthem. I posted a history video and it seems you didn't partake.

This anthem is not so much a "black" national anthem. There is nothing in this anthem that says it is exclusive for "black" people. It is an anthem that underscores an un-named people's struggle, with hope and justice on the other end. None of the lyrics explicitly say "African American" or "black".

ANYBODY can sing it if they can relate or have empathy with that kind of struggle. It can easily replace the national anthem with 0 change in the lyrics at all.

Unlike like current anthem, none of verses need to be replaced or deleted. It truly can represent ANYONE.

If people would let go of their own baggage and listen to the song--and identify with the lyrics as an American struggle and story--then what problem could you possibly have?

I don't understand the reason for standing and singing any song in unison before a football game but at least the Black National Anthem is more pleasing to the ear than the Star Spangled Banner.

Even if it's another instance of the NFL doing goofy NFL things, I find a tiny bit of satisfaction in the fact that it will tick some people off.

On one hand, it's funny how mad you get at the slightest bit of attention shown to anyone else besides you. On the other hand, it's downright pathetic how weak you are. How easily you break.

For all the folks who are frustrated, mad, perturbed, irked - whatever. Just imagine what it's like to feel that feeling (times 50) everyday of your life. It's a perpetual knot of anger and discomfort that takes up residence in your gut and never subsides.

The way some of y'all react to the tiniest bit of positivity NOT aimed in YOUR direction.... you would never survive on the other side. You would damn near be extinct if you had to live on the receiving end of what you dish out.

I like this board.

It's been a distraction during all this isolation.

This is just how I feel. Maybe I'm wrong. I have been before.

"Dead clowning" or "facepalming" is a lazy shot at someone unless you are willing to explain why you didn't like their post.

I don't even agree with it then. Just state your opinion.

If it's in good humor, that's different.
This I agree with
a slew of ‘clowns’ from the same poster who never states or defends a position is hella lame

that being said st widge is usually not one of thise - he has no issue dialoging

This, (playing Lift every voice and sing for the first week) is not special treatment. This is condescension.
We don't. Lift Every Voice and Sing was first called the Negro National Anthem by the NAACP because of its " power in voicing a cry for liberation and affirmation for African-American people. Some of the words of poem that the national anthem is based on don't sit well with some of us.
I agree that one anthem can show all those things but lets not kid ourselves. If you are talking about the wrong "God" as in Allah you are going to run into some resistance. Liberty and justice FOR ALL is exactly why the players were protesting in the first place. I mean even in 2020, Barack Obama, one of the most popular politicians and presidents in recent history is still just a n-word to some people in this country.
Why do you think that the protests (I'm not going to even call it the BLM movement because it's bigger than just Black lives at this point) are polluted with politics? This isn't about politics. This is about justice. This movement is about holding America accountable for what it claims to be. Do you care to elaborate on why you believe it to be polluted with politics?

By "This" I take it that you mean the NFL's face flop stunt to play Lift Every Voice and Sing for the first week.
Your response exemplifies well just how we will have to twist ourselves into a pretzel trying to please everyone. Ex. This God or that god. This country is founded on judeo-christian values yet because some are offended we have to bury history.
BLM is obviously political when the founders confess that they are well-trained Marxists. The cash contributions are going to Act Blue and then funneled to Dem politicians. They've forced in concert many corporations to bow. They ignore the black lives that are inconvenient for their political agenda. Such as the father whose son was killed in Seattle's CHAZ area. He contacted BLM and they totally ignored him because his son's death did not fit their narrative. Where was the widespread coverage? Where was the outrage over this? Where are the NFL commercials over these lives and the many that are killed in Chicago every weekend? Why kneel during national anthem when these are obviously local police problems?

We fought a bloody Civil War, changed our laws, even enacted laws like affirmative action that were supposed to help. This country has grown from a tumultuous past and has reflected that. We even elected a known black American President. There will always be bad people that abuse power and there are ways to deal with that.
So my question is: what does your justice look like and what will satisfy everyone? Because at this rate we'll be left with nothing because everyone is so readily offended by everything. We can't sort through every sin or trace its effects or attach it to everyone affected from generations to generation. Changing the system won't change the sin. That's why people are never satisfied. We've seen how some BLM people react to those who disagree. If you disagree you become evil to them and they will not see you different until you bow as Drew Brees did. There is no allowance for nuance.
Acknowledgement and forgiveness are key. Some things only God can justly sort out. Otherwise we'll be incessantly at each other's throats. That is the fruit we've seen from these roots.

Last edited:
@guidomerkinsrules

Now
This I agree with
a slew of ‘clowns’ from the same poster who never states or defends a position is hella lame

that being said st widge is usually not one of thise - he has no issue dialoging

I've never seen you "facepalm" someone before.

So I feel honored.

I have a rule against "lol".

But lol.

You know I'm protective of my friends here.

It's over.

Back to our regularly scheduled programing.

Your response exemplifies well just how we will have to twist ourselves into a pretzel trying to please everyone. Ex. This God or that God. This country is founded on judeo-christian values yet because some are offended we have to bury history.
BLM is obviously political when the founders confess that they are well-trained Marxists. The cash contributions are going to Act Blue and then funneled to Dem politicians. They've forced in concert many corporations to bow. They ignore the black lives that are inconvenient for their political agenda. Such as the father whose son was killed in Seattle's CHAZ area. He contacted BLM and they totally ignored him because his son's death did not fit their narrative. Where was the widespread coverage? Where was the outrage over this? Where are the commercials over these lives and the many that are killed in Chicago every weekend? why kneel during national anthem when these are obviously local police problems?

We fought a bloody Civil War, changed our laws, even enacted laws like affirmative action that were supposed to help. This country has grown from a tumultuous past and has reflected that. There will always be bad people that abuse power and there are ways to deal with that.
So my question is: what does your justice look like and what will satisfy everyone? Because at this rate we'll be left with nothing because everyone is so readily offended by everything. We can't sort through every sin or trace its effects or attach it to everyone affected from generations to generation. Acknowledgement and forgiveness are key. Some things only God can justly sort out. Otherwise we'll be incessantly at each other's throats.
One of my favorite ironies of our current situation concerns the ones wailing and gnashing about how offended everyone else gets about everything

I mean try to have at least a little self awareness

Your response exemplifies well just how we will have to twist ourselves into a pretzel trying to please everyone. Ex. This God or that God. This country is founded on judeo-christian values yet because some are offended we have to bury history.
Yeah.....I pretty much figured we were done talking right here. I don't normally quote myself but to save myself some time, I'll do it now. This is pretty much all I'll say. Your experience of being black in America has been considerably different than mine. Congratulations. I have a degree in CIS and work as an industrial engineer and none of that has spared me from my experience of being black in America. I'm glad you haven't had to experience what the rest of us black men in America have had to. I hope you never have to.
Black people, like white people, are not monolithic. Some of us see the BLM one way and then some of us see it another way and I think that might be based on the way we've experienced being black in America. Or maybe because we have yet to really experienced being black in America. Me personally, I experienced it at a young age. Being both arrogant and naive, I thought I could protect my son from it until later in life. Sadly, he experienced it at an even earlier age than myself. I'm actually quite happy for those folks who have yet to truly experience their blackness. It's something when you do.

One of my favorite ironies of our current situation concerns the ones wailing and gnashing about how offended everyone else gets about everything

I mean try to have at least a little self awareness

So his experience as an African American gets auto-dismissed, simply because it doesn't fit a particular narrative?

Would you respect him more if he had been destroying property a few weeks back?

And don't give some cutesy response about how it's not an "honest question", because it absolutely is...

The whole thing (explaining your condition to another) can be draining, to be honest. Some scholars ultimately turn to poets and literary giants such as James Baldwin, Ralph Ellison, or Toni Morrison because the course historical evidence and statistics fall short of describing the legacy of pain. Personally, I'm a skeptic because Black people have been this complex interdependent relationship with Whites for over 400 years and all progress has been incremental. Using the song is a nice gesture but I'm more impressed with substance.
Nevertheless, Douglas is appropriate here ( jump to the 1:00 min. mark to hear Darth Vader[I mean James Earl Jones])

Last edited:
So his experience as an African American gets auto-dismissed, simply because it doesn't fit a particular narrative?

Would you respect him more if he had been destroying property a few weeks back?

And don't give some cutesy response about how it's not an "honest question", because it absolutely is...
Explain how you got your question out of what I wrote
im not following you at all

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom