NFL to play 'Lift Every Voice and Sing' before National Anthem in Week 1 (1 Viewer)

Please read the rest of my post and not just cherry pick. I said they're being incentivized to. But not physically forced as per Jim Crow era.

You think they are incentivized by Section 8 housing and the projects?

Do you know the historical barriers to land and property ownership that were explicitly part of the law until the Civil Rights Act?

Are you aware of the strictures placed on many poor black families who want to try and get out? This was just in the news a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/perspectives/housing-discrimination/index.html

It doesn't go into a ton of detail, but it does a decent job of explaining the ways that racism in the housing industry is still quite systematic. Even if such discrimination isn't exactly 'legal'?

Famiies try to get out - here's a story of a family that sent their daughter to a school she wasn't zoned to, but she was cast out. And that leads a podcast into the realities of housing discrimination today:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/512/house-rules
"Where you live is important. It can dictate quality of schools and hospitals, as well as things like cancer rates, unemployment, or whether the city repairs roads in your neighborhood. On this week's show, stories about destiny by address."

There are still a ton of barriers, explicit and implicit, that impair geographical movement directly. Then there are things like very limited educational opportunities - many segregated themselves - that indirectly, but significantly, impact things like home ownership, moving out of troubled neighborhoods.

Last edited:
1. I didn't say anything about political parties. In fact, I made it explicit that northern urban centers are absolutely problematic. They are more segregated than the South these days. The Northeast and Western parts of the US have seen the greatest growth in (re) segregation.

So, don't push the politics on me.

2. High crime resulted from increased population density, which was fueled by the forcing of many black people to live in small areas with poor infrastructure, poor schools, loaning and entrepreneurial limitations according to race, nutrition, middle class employment opportunities, and more.

Secondly, the decrease in violent and property crime has been on a steady decline for the past 25-30 years, resulting in a 50-60% decrease. The only violent trend that has increased is sexual assault, and the racial numbers are close in assailant demographics.

3. I have no idea about you and I'm making no assumptions about your ethnicity. You typed something suggesting I 'think about this' and I'm pointing out that I have.

A lot.

Don't these things have a lot to do with politics? Im actually on board with you, but this country and policies that influence citizens and affect their living standards and education are all affected by politics.

It is indeed a great thing that crime levels have gone down over history.

I stated my ethnicity because people tend to have a knee jerk reaction (not you) and will dismiss arguments based on whether someone has "skin in the game".

Ugh I just want to watch the Saints and football. The NFL executives suck.

You think they are incentivized by Section 8 housing and the projects?

Do you know the historical barriers to land and property ownership that were explicitly part of the law until the Civil Rights Act?

Are you aware of the strictures placed on many poor black families who want to try and get out? This was just in the news a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/perspectives/housing-discrimination/index.html

It doesn't go into a ton of detail, but it does a decent job of explaining the ways that racism in the housing industry is still quite systematic. Even if such discrimination isn't exactly 'legal'?

Famiies try to get out - here's a story of a family that sent their daughter to a school she wasn't zoned to, but she was cast out. And that leads a podcast into the realities of housing discrimination today:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/512/house-rules

"Where you live is important. It can dictate quality of schools and hospitals, as well as things like cancer rates, unemployment, or whether the city repairs roads in your neighborhood. On this week's show, stories about destiny by address."

There are still a ton of barriers, explicit and implicit, that impair geographical movement directly. Then there are things like very limited educational opportunities - many segregated themselves - that indirectly, but significantly, impact things like home ownership, moving out of troubled neighborhoods.

I agree that certain areas can be rejecting of black Americans and it's absolutely a problem. But the government's efforts to "fix" it have made the problems even worse.

The first failure of government welfare programs is to favor current consumption while placing almost zero emphasis on job training, entrepreneurship or anything else that might allow today’s poor to become self-sufficient in the future. THIS is what keeps the poor in the poverty bracket. So yes, the welfare efforts are failing poor Americans and will make things even worse. If things changed where black Americans become even more empowered and self sufficient, it will raise them out of poverty faster than the 10 decades of government failure.

So what do you suggest is the answer?

Now can everyone agree to stand for both anthems, please. Let’s show the respect that both deserve. I can’t imagine players kneeling for one then standing up for the other. What kind of message will that send?

I don't know if it was brought up already, most likely it has, but, this is going to create more issues than it is going to solve. You bet some people are going to kneel when Lift Every Voice is played.

No one is forcing Black Americans into those "ghettos"....yada yada yada No one is forcing black Americans into "ghettos".

You also don't account for the fact that people of the same cultural background tend to group together and live in the same areas.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. And it has nothing to do with "welfare." If you educate yourself on this topic, you'll see it was FEDERAL dollars that built these "whites only" suburbs in the first place. So you have African Americans being basically banned from moving into suburbs that used their tax dollars to build in the first place. Thats economic rape.

In the reparations thread and the "how do we move forward" threads, numerous sources have been posted there to educate you on this.

I posted videos and books you can read on this. This isn't some hidden tin foil hat agenda. It's readily available public knowledge.

I applaud the NFL for taking one week to show some public solidarity to a hot button issue. And this "anthem" has better lyrics all americans can be proud to sing anyway. Nothing needs to be truncated from it like the other one. It's just 1 week. What's the fuss?

Last edited:
Is this something the NFL plans to do just for week one or for every game? It matters.

And I also dislike the pink apparel in October and the military apparel the coaches wear. NFL owners, write a check to show your support in the efforts to defeat breast cancer and support those in the military and especially veterans which need assistance.

So much of what the NFL does is so transparent and shallow and calculating---doing things not because they might be good things, but because the NFL wants to be seen doing good things.

I have. For the last couple of decades. It's part of my work.

And if you think urban planning and things like home ownership and housing discrimination still isn't racially impacted and affects the geographical mobility, I would encourage you to think more on that.

Housing discrimination still exist I experienced it for myself. In early 2000 I inquired about an apartment I found in the paper for rent it was a duplex in Gretna Jefferson parish. So I called the number and spoked with this elderly man I guess he was the owner of the duplex. By the end of the short conversation he bluntly asked if I was black or white because he couldn’t tell by my voice. I was baffled by the question but answered black he immediately then said he couldn’t rent that apartment in Gretna to me but recommended another apartment he had for rent in Harvey and then gave the address to that apartment. I instantly recognized the part of town that address belonged in and was familiar with the area, needless to say it was in a rough part of town. At that point I hung up and called the equal opportunity housing number that was also in the paper and reported that guy. Don’t know how things end up after reporting him but I never forget that incident.

Last edited:
Wrong, wrong, and wrong. And it has nothing to do with "welfare." If you educate yourself on this topic, you'll see it was FEDERAL dollars that built these "whites only" suburbs in the first place. So you have African Americans being basically banned from moving into suburbs that used their tax dollars to build in the first place. Thats economic rape.

In the reparations thread and the "how do we move forward" threads, numerous sources have been posted there to educate you on this.

I posted videos and books you can read on this. This isn't some hidden tin foil hat agenda. It's readily available public knowledge.

I applaud the NFL for taking one week to show some public solidarity to a hot button issue. And this "anthem" has better lyrics all americans can be proud to sing anyway. Nothing needs to be truncated from it like the other one. It's just 1 week. What's the fuss?
This screams the ramblings of a political science teacher I once had that brought the school a lawsuit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom