NFL Total Access Analysis of Gay, McCray Pickups (1 Viewer)

Schefter insinuated something a few people (including myself) on this board have mentioned already. People act like there is no way we even THINK about trading Will Smith, but there is a possibility this was more than a depth signing. Mostly likely it was, but who really knows.

It seems like the plan is to use McCray as the video suggests: third down, move Grant or even Smith occasionally to DT and rush three ends. And McCray can even spell Grant or Smith at times. I don't think it sends any signal to Smith at all. Quality ends are so hard to come by. I don't see McCray as replacing Smith unless there is something we don't know on the outside of the organization about Smith.

Schefter insinuated something a few people (including myself) on this board have mentioned already. People act like there is no way we even THINK about trading Will Smith, but there is a possibility this was more than a depth signing. Mostly likely it was, but who really knows.

Wouldn't it have to be a really, really good player in return for Smith? I mean, he is our best defender. I just don't see it. Shefter was the first person I saw who raised this question as others seem to think it's a good move to improve our pass rush which was atrocious last season and perhaps the biggest problem we had on that side of the ball. If we trade away Smith, our pass rush will be pretty much remain the same as last year.

Wouldn't it have to be a really, really good player in return for Smith? I mean, he is our best defender. I just don't see it. Shefter was the first person I saw who raised this question as others seem to think it's a good move to improve our pass rush which was atrocious last season and perhaps the biggest problem we had on that side of the ball. If we trade away Smith, our pass rush will be pretty much remain the same as last year.

Yeh it would have to be a sweet deal for us to give up Will Smith.

I have one comment to make about this report - how many DE's did the Giant's use last year in pass rush situations 3 - 4. Like Gumbo's Dad said good DEs are hard to come by.

I just don't see us trading away Will Smith. If anything, they might have signed McCray not only to move Grant inside on 3rd down, but to light a fire under Smith's *** for his contract year. I think we see a big rebound from Smith, possibly back to pro bowl form.

Well, if the Giants think they can get a first rounder for Shockey (injured) and the Falcons think they can get a first rounder for Hall (bad attitude), then I see no reason why we couldn't get a first and a second rounder for Smith. Do I want to do this....NOPE! But, I'd rather get something then have him walk free next year with no tag or anything.

I firmly believe McCray was brought in to "help" and not take over for Smith. The ONLY way I see Smith being jettisoned off is if he has another year like last year. Then, he won't be doing himself or the team any good, because it will show as two bad years and make his worth plummet.

Say what you want, but I want Smith here for a VERY long time! I still think McCray was brought in to show Grant that signing a big contract may get your butt moved over to the DT spot, so get in shape and do what you're getting paid 60 million to do....Rush, Attack, and Sack!!

Say what you want, but I want Smith here for a VERY long time! I still think McCray was brought in to show Grant that signing a big contract may get your butt moved over to the DT spot, so get in shape and do what you're getting paid 60 million to do....Rush, Attack, and Sack!!

I still feel the Saints will not pay Smith to stay around. You got Grant signed at 60+ million and if you sign Smith, lets say next year, then he will probably get about 70 million. That's 130 million tied up with 2 defensive ends. Now, I realize the total contract value combined is different from the cap, but it is still a very large investment in 2 people that play the same position.

The Saints will let Smith walk next year before they trade him. I actually see him being franchised. They need all hands on deck this season, especially on defense, to achieve their goals.

Will Smith just seems like one of those guys who will be very unhappy with the franchise tag.

Kind of like how Charles Grant was and that lead to him being overpaid.

But it's a moot point, having scads of quality DE's if they're never let loose to get after the QB. We need not only better talent, but a whole new attitude/scheme.

Smith isn't going anywhere. Remember the last time the Saints let a quality pass rusher go? That would be LeRoi Glover. I'm still crying over that one. The time before? When they let Ricky Jackson go. I'm still crying over that one too.

Smith will stay. It would be stupid to let a quality lineman like him go. They would never replace him. We still haven't replaced Glover. Jackson either, come to think of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom