NFL Total Access Analysis of Gay, McCray Pickups (1 Viewer)

I also am of the mindset that our goal will be to hold on to W. Smith. I personally would like him to retire here. There is IMO an unseen angle in that Smith as a college player (Ohio State DE 3yr starter) would also play OLB in certain situations. This in effect causes your D to look 4-3 with 3 DE and 1 big DT then slide Smith out and you now show 3-4. KC when Marty S was there used D. Thomas (RIP) in much the same fashion. Flexible and intelligent DL are few and far between, the more the merrier.
Even if they don't get creative with the formations, Good Job FO!

im calling my shot! We will extend the Fresh Prince contract, and before Loomis lets him walk or trades him they better think twice i would rather them trade or even release Charles "make it rain" Grant. Only if like you guys are sayin they wont pay two DE's max money, I personally think after Grant got the fat contract he relaxed, who wouldnt its only human, and got fat and out of shape and really showed me nothing last season. I know I know he was injured but overall W. Smith is a better player, he has a high motor and he gets after it on the field. He is the only Defensive player we have with that kill em all let the paramedics sort em out attitude and I love that! Sorry for rambling just trying to stay awake at work. Geaux Saints! Who DaT

Smith isn't going anywhere. Remember the last time the Saints let a quality pass rusher go? That would be LeRoi Glover. I'm still crying over that one. The time before? When they let Ricky Jackson go. I'm still crying over that one too.

Dick Vermiel, is that you??? :hihi:

-

For the moment, I think it is a depth/ rotation move. I expect to see all three of them out there during the season, which wouldn't be a first

This could be a sign by the Saints of going in a different direction at the DE spot. I like the possibilities, but then again, I wouldn't lose any sleep if we trade to improve in another position.

-

The copycat league strikes again. As one of the commentators said, they're imitating the Giants' use of three DE's, moving one inside on occasion. Maybe the dearth of good CB's in free agency led to the idea of improving the pass defense by improving the pass rush.

The copycat league strikes again. As one of the commentators said, they're imitating the Giants' use of three DE's, moving one inside on occasion. Maybe the dearth of good CB's in free agency led to the idea of improving the pass defense by improving the pass rush.

I pretty sure Haz in one of his "heckuva" ideas also used the three DEs???

I also am of the mindset that our goal will be to hold on to W. Smith. I personally would like him to retire here. There is IMO an unseen angle in that Smith as a college player (Ohio State DE 3yr starter) would also play OLB in certain situations. This in effect causes your D to look 4-3 with 3 DE and 1 big DT then slide Smith out and you now show 3-4. KC when Marty S was there used D. Thomas (RIP) in much the same fashion. Flexible and intelligent DL are few and far between, the more the merrier.
Even if they don't get creative with the formations, Good Job FO!

I was thinking something sort of similar, but your idea has even more dimensions. So you say, if you have a base DL package of Grant-Thomas-McCray, you could plug Smith in on either end or hold him back? Sounds interesting to me, if Smith could pull off the 3-4 OLB role.

It seem like our new DL coach might be providing a lot of input already in the types of players we use on the DL - hopefully he can get Grant/Smith to slim down a bit to bring back the speed rush.

I'm looking forward to this season.

My feeling is that they would trade Grant before Smith. But there are situations that I can imagine the Saints trading Smith.
The team has been discussing extentions with Smith, and if he is asking for WAY too much money, the they may look to get some value for him via trade this year instead of letting him walk in free agency next year.
Also, if they are looking to trade away one of the DE's, trading Grant would be a risk unless you have Smith on extension. Hate to think about trading Grant this year, and Smith walking next. Reminds me of the team only being able to go after one starter - Joe Johnson or LaRoi Glover...focused on Johnson, let Glover go, then Johnson bolted to Green Bay and we didn't have either.

All that said, I don't think they will trade Smith. If they do, it should be for a 1st.

Schefter insinuated something a few people (including myself) on this board have mentioned already. People act like there is no way we even THINK about trading Will Smith, but there is a possibility this was more than a depth signing. Mostly likely it was, but who really knows.

That insinuation is because we have two quality DE's....but we signed the guy to keep those guys fresh and to provide another pash rusher (ala Giants pass rush) granted he is insurance just incase we cant sign Smith to a deal, but thats just what it is, insurance.

Smith isn't going anywhere. Remember the last time the Saints let a quality pass rusher go? That would be LeRoi Glover. I'm still crying over that one. The time before? When they let Ricky Jackson go. I'm still crying over that one too.

Smith will stay. It would be stupid to let a quality lineman like him go. They would never replace him. We still haven't replaced Glover. Jackson either, come to think of it.

Glover had his best years with us. A couple of decent ones with the Cowgirls, so yeah, reason for concern. Ricky wanted a shot a ring. Hated to see him go to the 49ers, but we got a lot of great seasons from him.

On the flip side, we got lucky when Joe Johnson opted for the Packers and contributed nothing due to injuries. And Darren Howard has been solid for the Eagles, but he's not making us regret losing him.

The biggest point some guys are missing is that the DE position was not as terrible as some think last season. The biggest problem was the DT position. With no push up the middle the opposing QB would just step up in the pocket then our DE where riden out of the play. If we do not get a decent push up the middle then it is always going to look like our DE are doing a bad job. Five months till training camp go saints

I don't know if Schefter is right, but he is in my opinion one of the two best NFL reporters around (with Jay Glazer).

What I believe: the Saints draft a DE higher than any of us expect (possibly in the first if Gholston is available). Grant and Smith start this year with McCray and Rookie coming in for breathers. Next offseason the Saints franchise Smith and try to deal him away. If they can't, they keep him for the franchise year and try again in 2010.

The biggest point some guys are missing is that the DE position was not as terrible as some think last season. The biggest problem was the DT position. With no push up the middle the opposing QB would just step up in the pocket then our DE where riden out of the play. If we do not get a decent push up the middle then it is always going to look like our DE are doing a bad job. Five months till training camp go saints

Totally agree, the DE's had to work hard for every sack they got, because there was really no threat up the middle when it comes to a consistent pass rush, which is why getting one of these young DT's in the draft (Ellis, Dorsey, Laws, Balmer...hey, coaches and GM's like him...he has to be on the list) to help with that, and also help with our new found leader on D (Vilma) get to the ball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom