Speculation NFL TRADE RUMORS - How the Saints can leverage trade for Russell Wilson (1 Viewer)

If the Seahawks agree to that.... Again... You take Rus (SB champ / MVP candidate / Top 5 QB) and laugh all the way to a Lombardi... or 2 or 3.....

He's worth every bit of the 1st round picks... that's a given... (people here waaaay overvalue draft picks)

Mike Thomas is a great player.... But he's not a dynamic player (think guys like Kamara, Tyreke Hill, George Kittle).... And he does not play a preium position (QB, CB, or Pass Rusher) He can be (and has been) taken out of games by teams with the personnel to be physical with him and take away his ability to get inside. He can be replaced.

Winston is not even on the team, and there is no indication that he will be...

This would be a dream trade... Which is why it won't happen.
You're dismissing MT based on an injury year? The year before that suggests the opposite of what you are positing. He caught the most balls per game than anyone who has ever played the game.

It’s too much to give up. I think Russ would be great here but not if we have to sacrifice Thomas AND 2 firsts.
I think Seattle might give him up for less. They don’t treat Russ like a franchise QB. He has all the traits but it’s just not who they are. Either Carrol needs to go or Russ does because they’re limiting his potential.
I'd fire Carrol before moving Russ. I didn't realize the owner died and his sister was running things, hence there is no check on Pete now.

Edit: Why would they want Thomas when they have Metcalf on a rookie deal? GMs know what we have, so they would want AK, Ram, and Picks. That's why the JW/TH option seems more pragmatic. Believe it or not a trade for Watson or Wilson blows up the team we've been carefully building the past few years in anticipation of Drew's retirement.

Last edited:
I’d rather trade Latt than Thomas in a deal for Wilson, I’d want to have an overwhelming offense to compensate for the regression on defense. Plus, as much as I like Latt, he is not an elite level corner but will want to be paid like one.

You're dismissing MT based on an injury year? The year before that suggests the opposite of what you are positing. He caught the most balls per game than anyone who has ever played the game.

I said Thomas was a great player... I did not dismiss him at all... He is replaceable because his skillset (while a great one) is not dynamic or special...

I'd love to keep him.... but not at the expense of a dynamic player at the most important position on the field... I.e. Russel Wilson @ QB. (Hypothetically that is)

In my opinion the biggest obstacle in ANY trade that will bring a new franchise QB to New Orleans will be the league. If Loomis and Payton try to do anything that can be viewed as unconventional or possibly shady with the trade, the league and Goodell will shoot it down.

Seattle can’t really want to trade Russell but he might be able to push the issue to get it done. If that’s the case then they will absolutely wait until after June 1 to reduce his cap hit on them. That also falls in line with a Drew Brees official retirement party to free up some of our cap.
That means no draft picks from this years draft. So to compensate Seattle for immediate return on the trade which Seattle will want, a starter or 2 will need to be included with 2 future 1st rounders. Lattimore and anyone on the offensive line outside of Ram should be available.

Seattle can’t really want to trade Russell but he might be able to push the issue to get it done. If that’s the case then they will absolutely wait until after June 1 to reduce his cap hit on them. That also falls in line with a Drew Brees official retirement party to free up some of our cap.
That means no draft picks from this years draft. So to compensate Seattle for immediate return on the trade which Seattle will want, a starter or 2 will need to be included with 2 future 1st rounders. Lattimore and anyone on the offensive line outside of Ram should be available.

Assuming we can't keep Hendrickson outright, is there any way a tag and trade (agrees to new deal with Seattle) involving him, plus Peat and then 2022 and 2023 first round picks (and a later round pick if needed) works?

<<HOT TAKE ALERT >>

LaCanfora reported two days ago that Brees will not be the starting QB for the Saints next year, based on the contract change.

Brees releases workout video showing the world he is still working likes he’s playing (after news of Wilson trade desires to NOLA)

Brees just watched Brady change teams and win a Super Bowl. Brees could have the savior impact on a new team, where his schtick is old in NOLA

Pete Carroll’s one of the older coaches in the league who wants to run the ball, take care of the ball and play defense

So...

We’re trading Brees for Wilson and 2 first round picks

Last edited:
<<HOT TAKE ALERT >>

LaCanfora reported two days ago that Brees will not be the starting QB for the Saints next year, based on the contract change.

Brees releases workout video showing the world he is still working likes he’s playing (after news of Wilson trade desires to NOLA)

Brees just watched Brady change teams and win a Super Bowl. Brees could have the savior impact on a new team, where his schtick is old in NOLA

Pete Carroll’s one of the older coaches in the league who wants to run the ball, take care of the ball and play defense

So...

It wouldn’t surprise me. I know this seems trivial and non football, but Brees can keep the Seahawks fanbase still on board and sell a few jerseys.

<<HOT TAKE ALERT >>

So...

Brady has really gotten in Drew's head if that's the case. Brady was a few years removed from the SB whereas it been more than 10 for Drew. Caroll would be fired for that deal because if we get Russ we're picking farther back than we are now. Is there a support club for players nearing retirement because it sounds like Drew is in denial right now?

If Wilson gets traded its because Wilson no longer will play for Pete Carroll. This means the pressure is on Seattle to make a deal and make an offer to the Saints. The Saints can move on with Winston. To me a potential deal would involve Armstead, draft picks, and maybe Taysom Hill. The Saints would move Peat to Left Tackle and look to resign Easton or Warford or get another interior lineman. The other issue is the money. Seattle just paid Wilson his signing bonus. If Seattle did a deal with Dallas, Dallas would have to pay Dak and then trade him. It makes less sense to me than what Seattle really needs: offensive line help.

That’s to much to give up for Russ. Winston I could see… possibly. But giving them, maybe the best receiver in the game, and two first rounder on top of that. That’s a lot .

Nick and Kevin just had a great podcast episode where they each took roles as the other GM to try and make the trade happen. Was very entertaining/informative.

Nick and Kevin just had a great podcast episode where they each took roles as the other GM to try and make the trade happen. Was very entertaining/informative.

It really was great. I tend to side more with Kevin in this one: There isn't much I wouldn't do to make this one happen.

I also agree that it's more likely something would happen next season, given the cap hit before June 1 of this season. Although it would be interesting if teams played it out and got to June 1 and Russ demanded a trade. Then, Seattle would take a lower hit and the Saints would be on a more level playing field with other teams since everyone's 2022 picks that would be in play would be theoretically equal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom