NFLPA advising players and agents to prepare for a year long plus lockout. (1 Viewer)

Inappropriate Language/Remarks
[mod edit inappropriate language/remarks :nono: seek a higher level]
The players basically sold their souls for a few xtra points from the tv revenue that pretty much went to the QBs
Now Goodell will keep them focused on the non-money issues that really arent a big deal to the NFL.
Also fully expect Goodell to try to divide the players if money comes up by pointing out that the players got a bigger share of the pie as a whole but only a few got a taste

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like the Saints are still in their window of opportunity for a great Super Bowl run. If a lockout screws that up, I won't be happy with the player's association.

I hate to say it but there's 0 chance of players heeding this advice and preparing for a lockout. 2 reasons. As a body, NFL players are stupid and secondly, they have the worst Players Association to work for in American sports. The haves, NFL QBs mostly, don't care enough about the have nots. In other sports, the biggest stars and the most well paid are usually on the front lines. Not so with the NFL. In the end, they'll become fractured. The stars for the most part will be quiet and on the sideline, not crossing the line but not pressuring to get anything done. Then there will be the Guys who have no money saved and live well beyond their means. Once their money dries out and the coffers the PA saved to help those players is emptied, they will pressure their leaders to get a deal done at all cause. 4 weeks into the lockout/strike the players side will consist of the apathetic, the broke, and PA leadership made up of faces fans barely recognize or care about. I doubt a stoppage lasts 2 months much less a season.

Last edited:
I’m with the players this time. Neither they nor I want 4 preseason games and I side with them on several other things, but mainly Goodell doesn’t need to survive the next CBA.
I actually think it would be great to have teams on their own schedule several (2,3 or 4) inter (not intra) team practices and only have maybe 2 preseason games.
Just a thought. I’m in construction not pro sports

This isn't for this year, 2019. I doubt the owners would lock the players out in 2020 when there is a year left on the deal, so we are talking about the 2021 season. Man, I don't know if I will be alive then. I will worry about 2019, then a repeat of our Super Bowl Championship in 2020. If we go for a two in a row deal, I REALLY don't care about 2021 AT ALL.

The players have to take back something from Roger. I can think of a few body parts, but I am really not too sure that he has those left, he may have sold them for a Diet Coke.

On a serious note, the players should get an increase in compensation for mid-tier players, the elimination of two pre-season games, an increase in roster size and maybe have it so that all veteran contracts have some sort of guarantee for the first two years, at least. It can't go like the NBA, there are too many NFL players and the risk of injury is too high. Some sort of vastly enhanced retirement fund should also be a point the players should push for. I think the owners will want a longer season, 17 or 18 games. If rosters are increased, it might not be a bad thing for players because the increase in revenue would be substantial.

On a serious note, the players should get an increase in compensation for mid-tier players, the elimination of two pre-season games, an increase in roster size and maybe have it so that all veteran contracts have some sort of guarantee for the first two years, at least. It can't go like the NBA, there are too many NFL players and the risk of injury is too high. Some sort of vastly enhanced retirement fund should also be a point the players should push for. I think the owners will want a longer season, 17 or 18 games. If rosters are increased, it might not be a bad thing for players because the increase in revenue would be substantial.

The only way possible that mid-tier players get a bump in pay is if they start capping the high dollar positions, QB’s namely but also extends to the elite pass rushers and some WR’s.

Otherwise the additional revenue earned that increases the salary cap will continue to funnel into the QB position. Like it has over the length of the last CBA.

With a lot of things that had happened over the years and how players are really unhappy with their contracts, I am expecting a lock out that will last way longer than the previous.

The owners will have a contingency plan, guaranteed. They will not want to lose money. They will have a pool of players waiting in the wings to play. It was done before and will be done again.

The players will lose with the fans in the long run. They will never win over the fans with a long protracted holdout. Fans are basically already disgusted with free agency and how their favorite players leave after a few short years, that fans no longer get attached to players like they used too. That alone, as a start, will immediately put the players in a unfavorable position. JMO.

I don't like the use of extortion to bring wages up, usually companies bidding for employee services does that. I guess when you are already over paid and the highest paying football league in any country. they really don't have much leverage.

I have to point out the obvious. The players are taking money out of your pocket. Where do you think the raises are coming from? You! Increased ticket prices and more commercials and eventually pay for games. You have to understand this is not the players against the owners it is the players against you.

I have to point out the obvious. The players are taking money out of your pocket. Where do you think the raises are coming from? You! Increased ticket prices and more commercials and eventually pay for games. You have to understand this is not the players against the owners it is the players against you.
wait...are you the guy from the nfl office who waved the pro-goodell flag in here during bounty gate ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom