NFL's Best Coaches 2017 - RotoWorld (Interesting where they have SP) (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
After four 7-9 seasons in last 5-years, I thinking this ranking is high. It seems to show respect for his offensive talent though. And then it compares him to Jeff Fischer. I think this is the year we see if he fits with McCarthy or Fisher.

As elite as SP is as an offesnive coach, he is equally inept as a defensive coach and great coaches have to do both decently. The writer refers to SP's weaknesses. This is where a really good GM could make-up for SP's weaknesses - whether he likes it or not. I still hold to my belief that's it "All in for 2017." This is make or break year for SP in NO.

And anyone who doesn't guess who is #1 ranked coach has to go flog himself with cat and iron tails :idunno:

11. Sean Payton
Career Record: 94-66 (.588)
With The Saints Since: 2006
Last Year’s Ranking: 12

Sean Payton’s strength — scoring points — is one of the strongest individual-coaching attributes in the entire NFL. If only he weren’t continually undermined by his weaknesses: Inconsistent play away from home, and too many “defense optional” breakdowns. Payton’s recent failings have him in danger of becoming a bizarro Jeff Fisher. The Saints have gone 7-9 four of the past five years, winning 16 total road games in the process. More than one of those teams were historically bad on defense. Cameron Jordan and company allowed the second-most points in football last season (454), revealing an end of the tunnel that’s yet to be lit. Payton’s offense will always be ready to make a deep playoff run. If the defense doesn’t improve in 2017, however, the Saints might finally let a coach who always seems to be “monitoring” other jobs take his talents elsewhere.

NFL's Best Coaches 2017 - Goal Line Stand - Rotoworld.com

defense seems like it's always been an issue. what concerns me from the past few seasons is how he's seemingly fallen off a cliff when it comes to situation football and decision making down the stretch. we pretty much never go into no huddle unless there's only 30 seconds in the game. stupid challenges all the time. lack of aggressive playcalling early. and just a total disregard for timeouts. he treats timeouts like they are irrelevant. these are areas that i don't think coaches normally just stop being good at. maybe it's an ego thing. its just crazy to think of how cut throat and concise he used to be.

defense seems like it's always been an issue. what concerns me from the past few seasons is how he's seemingly fallen off a cliff when it comes to situation football and decision making down the stretch. we pretty much never go into no huddle unless there's only 30 seconds in the game. stupid challenges all the time. lack of aggressive playcalling early. and just a total disregard for timeouts. he treats timeouts like they are irrelevant. these are areas that i don't think coaches normally just stop being good at. maybe it's an ego thing. its just crazy to think of how cut throat and concise he used to be.

Really good points Turbo. The time out thing is maddening and I couldn't agree with you more about the No Huddle. use whatever we have to get ahead quickly. That's how an SP team wins most games. I'm guessing that he is afraid to do No Huddle except in desperation or last minutes of the half out fear of putting the weak defense back on the field, unrested. It's almost like he is dumbing down his offense to try and support his weak defenses. Just let his offense go full throttle.

Really good points Turbo. The time out thing is maddening and I couldn't agree with you more about the No Huddle. use whatever we have to get ahead quickly. That's how an SP team wins most games. I'm guessing that he is afraid to do No Huddle except in desperation or last minutes of the half out fear of putting the weak defense back on the field, unrested. It's almost like he is dumbing down his offense to try and support his weak defenses. Just let his offense go full throttle.

true true on dumbing down offense to support defense. but with atlanta pretty much bringing back their entire roster, payton needs to take a page out of belichik's playbook if we're gonna beat the falcons next season. brady running no huddle in the SB kept atlanta from subbing, which they apparently do a lot of, and wore them down. we need to apply this tactic especially against atlanta

cat o' nine tails?

The ranking is fair, IMHO. We know Brees is elite, because he produces. Payton is no longer elite, because his TEAMS haven't produced. Pretty simple.

true true on dumbing down offense to support defense. but with atlanta pretty much bringing back their entire roster, payton needs to take a page out of belichik's playbook if we're gonna beat the falcons next season. brady running no huddle in the SB kept atlanta from subbing, which they apparently do a lot of, and wore them down. we need to apply this tactic especially against atlanta

He's definitely going to have to pick up the pace.

Someone posted in another thread that when the season was on the line, the offense produced 11,13 & 20 points.

A few yrs ago, the Saints could have scored that in their sleep.

cat o' nine tails?

The ranking is fair, IMHO. We know Brees is elite, because he produces. Payton is no longer elite, because his TEAMS haven't produced. Pretty simple.

Agreed. Based on 5-year performance, I think #11 is generous.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom