1. AFC West
2. AFC North
3. NFC North
4. NFC South
5. NFC West
6. AFC South
7. NFC East
8. AFC East

Interesting exercise. WITHOUT LOOKING, rank the divisions according to the strength metrics (win percentage and point differential) below:

1. Win%: .566 DIFF: +80
  2. Win%: .519 DIFF: +49
  3. Win%: .500 DIFF: +63
  4. Win%: .500 DIFF: +54
  5. Win%: .481 DIFF: +11
  6. Win%: .481 DIFF: -38
  7. Win%: .481 DIFF: -56
  8. Win%: .462 DIFF: -163

I'm no statistician (thank God for spelling suggestions), but (rounding off) the diff from #1 to #8 of ".07 above .500" to ".04 below .500" suggests to me that there's not a lot of variance between the Best Division and the Worst Division.

But, the (I presume to be) Point Differential from +80 to - 163 is impressive.

That may have been true last year but certainly not now.

The numbers would have suggested so right before CAR and ATL went on twin five-game slides. I have to say I am impressed that the AFC South has performed so well with the Jags in the toilet. Indy in particular is a surprise team that I would never have predicted to be this good.

Sometimes conferences are plagued by a perennial loser, so to me the question comes back to how week is your weakest team.
(do you get a couple gimmes) during conference play that allows you to better prepare for non-conference games. (Alabama scheduling Mercer before Auburn).

AFC West has that with Oakland this year, so KC, SD, and Denver all might do better non-conference because of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom