NHL 2021-2022. Hockey is back! (2 Viewers)

"Two former NHL referees contacted by The Athletic who examined the video said that in their opinion this play wasn’t too many men. One former linesman said that while it’s close, loose line changes happen all the time and very few officials would have blown a play like this dead in overtime. He also noted that the Lightning had seven players on the ice, including two players at the bench, like MacKinnon, with the players who came on for them also engaged in the play."

According to the NHL Rule Book, players may be changed at any time during play, provided that they are within five feet of the bench and not in the play when the change is made. “At the discretion of the on-ice officials, should a substituting player come onto the ice before his teammate is within the five foot limit of the players’ bench (and therefore clearly causing his team to have too many players), then a bench minor penalty may be assessed. When a player is retiring from the ice surface and is within the five foot limit of his players’ bench, and his substitute is on the ice, then the retiring player shall be considered off the ice. If in the course of making a substitution, either the player entering the game or the player retiring plays the puck or who checks or makes any physical contact with an opposing player while both players involved in the substitution are on the ice, then the infraction of ‘too many men on the ice’ will be called.”

Two former NHL referees contacted by The Athletic who examined the video said that in their opinion this play wasn’t too many men. One former linesman said that while it’s close, loose line changes happen all the time and very few officials would have blown a play like this dead in overtime. He also noted that the Lightning had seven players on the ice, including two players at the bench, like MacKinnon, with the players who came on for them also engaged in the play.
….

Ironically, last postseason, the Lightning’s Ondrej Palat scored a goal in Game 2 of Tampa Bay’s playoff series against the New York Islanders with seven players in the play. The officials missed it, and the goal counted.

Not buying the “loose line changes” excuse, but it’s done.

Upon further review, Tampa totally botched that line change with too many men and still f-d it up.

B2E06852-AD01-42BD-BBF1-929F1E99C902.jpeg

I'm probably violating TOS, but this is funny.

Two soft goals given up by Kuemper tonight. He's going to single-handedly keep Tampa in this series.

This thread being ghosted or something? I have to navigate several back alleys just to find it in EE

Never mind. I figured it out…

Last edited:
I’m sad hockey is over. But happy Corey Perry didn’t win it.

The Cup has already faced it's first brush with death within the first 30 minutes. :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom