NHL Stanley Cup 2020 (1 Viewer)

Eeyore

Cultured, sophisticated, man about town!
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a casual fan. I use hockey and basketball to fill the time between baseball and football.

As a casual fan I only watch my local team, The Blackhawks. They're having a surprisingly nice opening game. Scheduling the Blackhawks before the Cubs play tonight was either a good idea or fortuitous. I'm in! Especially because all that I need to warch is an antenna.

I'm most interested in how the league, and individual teams handle the virus but I know that we have some hard core fans of the league here.

One of my favorite pastimes re:hockey is the Toronto delusion over the Maple Leafs when they are only going to lose, again, to the Bruins.

but yes, playoff hockey is fun.

I like the Caps.

one of our cousins up here married into a family whose son was a diehard Caps fan, and he had a terminal illness and passed a few months ago. But the franchise was so kind and gracious to him and the players were so generous.

it was so encouraging to see.

they made themselves some more fans in Leafs country with their kindness

One of my favorite pastimes re:hockey is the Toronto delusion over the Maple Leafs when they are only going to lose, again, to the Bruins.
... and death and taxes. They probably won't get that far this year, i do't see them going past the Blue Jackets.

Speaking of cheapshots, the Bruins play Philly today @ 3PM ET Should be a good one.

I like the Caps.
I knew there was some good in you :hihi:
Caps-Tampa Bay should be a good one on Monday

... and death and taxes. They probably won't get that far this year, i do't see them going past the Blue Jackets.

Speaking of cheapshots, the Bruins play Philly today @ 3PM ET Should be a good one.

I knew there was some good in you :hihi:
Caps-Tampa Bay should be a good one on Monday
Carter Hart was awesome.

NY Rangers swept by Carolina. Likely the end of an era for Henrik Lundqvist. In his defense, he played well enough to give the Rangers a chance in games 1 and 2 (didn't play game 3) but NYR needs a major rebuild/redesign.

Other series are very compelling. Aside from the Islanders v Panthers series (Panthers down 0-2) most others are 1-1 or 2-1 in the best of five format. Montreal is giving Pittsburgh fits. Chicago is giving Edmonton fits. And, the round-robin format with the top teams has been very entertaining.

Unfortunately, Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman, Jake Muzzin, had to be taken off the ice last night, via stretcher, after a seemingly routine hit. He did appear to have movement in all extremities and will hopefully have a successful recovery, but it's always a disconcerting sight to witness.

Looking forward to todays/tonights games.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman, Jake Muzzin, had to be taken off the ice last night, via stretcher, after a big hit. He did appear to have movement in all extremities and will hopefully have a successful recovery, but it's always a disconcerting sight to see.

I saw the replays of that, and it was an odd situation for sure. it was an awkward fall, but it didn't seem to be all that bad. He didn't seem to be in any kind of pain afterwards. I'm assuming they were thinking about a potential neck/spine injury.

Wow.... Leafs.

Panthers out.
Predators out.
Penguins out.
Oilers out.
Leafs pull off a nice comeback to force a deciding, game 5.
Wild trying to hold off the Canucks to force a game 5.

Only solace I can take in the Pens "sharting the sheets" is that they have now improved their odds for the Alexis Lafreniere sweepstakes. (1-in-8 chance I believe).

I been checking the scores, watching a period here and there, and watching a few highlights on YouTube.

I'm rooting for the Canucks, they have never won a cup. I hope the Lightning and the Bruins do well also. Zdeno Chara and Victor Hedman are the best. That goalie from the Canucks is seriously good, no joke.

The Ducks are out and they have never been the same since Chris Pronger left, biggest mistake ever. I'm still upset over the trade and it's been 10 years, it was painful. Bill Murray I blame you.

Jacob Markstrom is a very interesting individual. Got to watch him and hang out with him a few times (just casually, not like we were friends) when he was playing in San Antonio with the (then) Panthers AHL affiliate.
Great size and athleticism for a net minder, but he always to seemed to be lacking a bit "between the ears" (which. I guess isn't necessarily that odd for a hockey goalie). Seems to have matured, so I do wish him well in the Canucks playoff run.

As the playoffs go, Montreal has been very surprising. They are built as a fast team, but they did a solid job of frustrating the Penguins in the "Play In series" by clogging up the neutral zone and stifling the Pens power play opportunities.. They are now handling a very skilled Flyers team by playing more "up and down" systems. And, their head coach, Claude Julien, was recently hospitalized with a coronary issue. Latest reports are that he was released from the hospital today.

Far from over, but I would never have expected Montreal to be giving Philly fits.

I think all pro sports are rigged and the game today with the Canucks vs Blues further gives me more reason to believe. I actually tried watching the game, but it was the Canucks doing the penalty kill all game. Just checked the score and it shows how good Jacob Markstrom is. He could be the next Patrick Roy, who knows?

1597456255971.png

I will still watch the highlights on YouTube, but not sitting down to watch a game any more.

Learning/understanding ice hockey is a complex process. I know that many think it's just a bunch of toothless goons in stockings and garters skating around trying to score and/or injure people. Unfortunately, playoff officiating is consistently inconsistent and can be quite frustrating to figure out.

I had the Canucks - Blues game on in the background yesterday (was working on a project with my son at the time) and it saddened me to see the lack of respect that these players have for one another. So many hits from behind on players in a vulnerable posture. I "get" that they are opponents on different teams, wearing different laundry, but they are all brethren. I'd rather watch 2 guys square off, face-to-face, than see someone plow a guy into the boards from behind.

Getting those hits out of hockey has been a major focus of USA Hockey for the past decade. At the amateur level, you would get a 2min and an additional 10min penalty (so a teammate would have to serve the initial 2min). I'd almost be willing to see the NHL go to a 2 and a 5, just to try to curtail these hits.

Yeah, it's a physical game, but don't run a guy into the boards from behind. Clean check, shoulder to chest or shoulder to shoulder, no problem, but don't hit from behind. And, don't target the head (ahem, Mr Wilson of Capitals fame/infamy). The fact that that piece of excrement is still in the game frustrates me to no end. That guy has delivered more cheap shots during his career than the server at a local dive bar.

As far as Markstrom being the next Patrick Roy, he's already 30, so he has a lot of work to do in a short period of time. His career win-loss record is only 110-118. Granted, he has played for some very bad teams during his 11 year NHL career.

Yeah I'm no fan of Tom Wilson either. I don't know how I'd feel if he played for the Stars.

In other news, Tuuka Rask has opted out of the playoffs prior to Game 3. Big loss for Boston. So far the backup Halak is doing well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom