Nice article to give some perspective on SMITH, VILMA and HARPER (1 Viewer)

It is far from time to cut Harper.. Harper is a good player if used right.

Regarding Vilma and Smith, Did I say it wasn't time to cut Vilma and Smith or make them take a big pay cut? Of course it's that time and one or the other will happen. The team already told them that they had to take a pay cut. So, what are you crying about?

Dude, you are waisting your time trying to tell this guy that Harper is not terrible ( many have tried to do it over the past week to no avail ). He has started several threads that have turned into Harper is terrible.
I'm starting to think Harper did something to him personally! J/k of course

Did you not see when we let Fujita, Porter, Hargrove and Bush go? All guys that played a huge role in our SB win.

So, your observation is just plain wrong.

True, but we had more than a few people starting on defense that in no way shape or form should have been. Many aren't even fit for an NFL roster, as we will see by the beginning of the season. How else do you explain such roster decisions? We kept Patrick and cut Mack? Mack is no great player unless compared to the likes of Patrick, etc.

Dude, you are waisting your time trying to tell this guy that Harper is not terrible ( many have tried to do it over the past week to no avail ). He has started several threads that have turned into Harper is terrible.

Did you read my reply to that comment? I would request you to go back and read my reply to that. Please.

While you guys are steady clowning on Roman Harpers play. He is steady on a yacht enjoying his 5 mil a year! Boats, and hoes baby! :worthy:

here, I'll make it easier for you. This is what I replied to that comment.

Time to cut HARPER was after this game. It kills me as a hardcore SAINTS fan to post this video but I feel its necessary to do so to make you understand where I am coming from. Just concentrate on Harper in this game.

2010/11 playoff Seahawks vs Saints hilightz - YouTube

Time to cut HARPER was after this game. It kills me as a hardcore SAINTS fan to post this video but I feel its necessary to do so to make you understand where I am coming from. Just concentrate on Harper in this game.

I can post a video of every player in the NFL having a bad game. That year we lost to Seattle, Harper had a good year and one bad game.

Drew has had some bad games is he garbage ? Should we cut him ?

Never mind, I'm not doing this again.

Without watching the video...how do you justify cutting a player based on one game 2 seasons ago?

If people only saw drew Brees playing the falcons and throwing 5 picks then you'd want him gone too but there's a much larger sample size suggesting these players are talented than one token game

I've been wanting them to cut Will Smith since after the 2010 season, what is taking the Saints so long? Its time to start getting younger and faster on defense. Payton sees it, that's part of the switch to the 3-4 but its time to see what these guys can do

Without watching the video...how do you justify cutting a player based on one game 2 seasons ago?

If people only saw drew Brees playing the falcons and throwing 5 picks then you'd want him gone too but there's a much larger sample size suggesting these players are talented than one token game

Because that was the 1st time ever, GW put HARPER in coverage and he was terrible beyond imagination. We all know how GW used HARPER, he was used on the line of scrimmage in his reckless blitzing kinda defense. I honestly wanted HARPER to gain 30 lbs and become a weakside linebacker coz its a proven fact that this guy cant cover. All I am against is his terrible coverage skills. And its not just one game. This is just one video I posted. I have plenty of them including the 9ers loss in the playoffs the following year.

Harper held his own in coverage up until he tore up his knee, since he came back he hasn't been the same. Go look at the reopening dome game, he went toe for toe with Algae Crumpler back when he was one of the best TEs in the league

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it has to be said, especially that no one wants to admit it.

Now I'm one of the bigger advocates of cutting these players, and I would like to add Greer to this list as well. However, to me this looks more and more of a necessity of keeping these guys, more so than gaining much needed cap relief.

What if M Loomis measured up all the Saints talent evaluators, and the talent developers and came to the conclusion that simply cutting these players will be a huge disaster....much much bigger than achieving cap relief.

By now is quite clear that the Saints FO, and coaches amply demonstrated when it comes to drafting talent, and then developing that talent, the Saints are in a huge hole on both counts....one, they don't know how to find good talented players .And much worse, even if one player is talented enough, like C Jordan for example....the Saints talent developers are even worse. This much is quite clear, if we look at their record. It is very bad.

Then on top of all this, defensive players figured out the Saints. They know that the only way the Saints are even remotely competitive, is when they give up their draft picks willingly, just so they can then acquire talent through the FA. In FA, the players on the market are pretty good players for the most part therefore their value is increased exponentially knowing that the Saints FO can't draft to save their life! That knowledge gives them an added ammunition not to give up their value.....rather, they will even increase their value by asking more money they would otherwise would be asking from a team, whose draft record is a good one....like Baltimore, for example.

Mickey Loomis thus have 2 choices....pay an inflated price for a player who fits the scheme, or settle for much lesser player, although that player, or his agent also knows all this, and he also inflates his own value.....what the Saints could do? go and try to draft better prospects??....that ain't working for years now, and everybody knows it.

So M Loomis either pays up for an inflated value for a player, or keeps the existing talent he has on the roster. He has no choice, and is better to keep the one they have, or get rid of him and create an even greater disaster!

That's the only way I find an explanation for justifying to hold on on players who should be cut...like 2 years ago with W Smith. As bad W Smith is right now.....the consequences of drafting a potentially huge bust would spell disaster for all involved. So he does the only thing which prolongs the agony.....hoping against hope that somehow a better coach/talent evaluator comes around, and he turns things around. By now is clear that Sean Payton is a genius in discovering offensive talent.....but he isn't near as good spotting, and then developing defensive talent. I believe the Saints figured out Spags quite early. They didn't make a mistake in giving him a contract, especially knowing that he probably will be the scape goat once Sean Payton returns.

Now all eyes and hope is on Rob Ryan. If he is better than the rest of the Saints talent evaluators, he will be looked upon as a savior....if not....his gig will be short lived.

Imagine what Loomis could do with $15M in cap space. I'm ready to move on from Vilma and Smith. I do think of the 3 Harper has the most to offer, but with that being said he still deserves a pay cut that he will probably not be willing to take.

Agreed, but I don't think the FO has much leverage to even approach Harper with talks of a pay cut unless, as I said earlier, they believe they already have his replacement on the roster. Personally, I believe he's serviceable, and may find success in this new scheme. Only time will tell on that, however. That's not to say he isn't upgradeable, or a replacement shouldn't be sought after. It's just that I feel there are more pressing needs to focus on in FA, with what limited cap space is available. Keeping him on the roster at current figures makes more sense from a value perspective.

Harper held his own in coverage up until he tore up his knee, since he came back he hasn't been the same. Go look at the reopening dome game, he went toe for toe with Algae Crumpler back when he was one of the best TEs in the league

That was 7 years ago. Who cares bout it now?

It is far from time to cut Harper.. Harper is a good player if used right.

Regarding Vilma and Smith, Did I say it wasn't time to cut Vilma and Smith or make them take a big pay cut? Of course it's that time and one or the other will happen. The team already told them that they had to take a pay cut. So, what are you crying about?

Seriously? Harper is slow and has zero instincts. The only safety that graded out worse than him last year was Jenkins. Our safeties aren't just bad, they are hopelessly incompetent. What was the last game that Harper was a difference maker in? At least Jenkins, despite his inability to tackle or cover, has run down a couple of wideouts to change the tide of games. Harper is quite a bit slower than Sam Bradford, who ran him down from behind!

That is perhaps by far the most remedial way to evaluate a players roster status. Harper had a pro bowl season(according to you guys it doesn't mean a thing because no one wanted to go that year, but either way he was a top 5 safety that year. 2011 was a solid year for Harper, but apparently his game against the 49ers determined his roster cut to all the coaches, and general managers of SR. Funny how he was doing good that whole game pressuring Smith, and was mostly put in the box to rush Alex Smith, but according to you he stank. He let Vernon Davis score that TD, but I guess everybody that couldn't cover Jimmy, Gronk, and Davis sucks. Cut evrybody that couldn't stop these three tight ends they suck! Yes, yes I now see it! He had a sack that game, but that don' mean anything he lost us the game. Yeah those interceptions Brees threw, and those fumbles were nothing. It was all Harpers fault. :jpshakehead: . Since you guys are smarter then Payton you should ask Loomis to hire you as his adviser! Make it happen Loomis!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom