Nick Easton Career Statistics (1 Viewer)

Pass blocking from our center seems to be a big priority. Run blocking... Payton really never had a mauler at center unless you consider late career Unger still a mauler. His system value interior pass protection and passing lanes. So, he found the best pass blocking center left. We don't normally rely on a center for a whole lot in the run game. Leveraging 1 and 0 techs to open holes, occasionally go to the second level, but he doesn't seem to help our screen game as he is not that good in space. I don't recall pulling our center at all. We tend to pull guard... And that is Peat one good talent is playing in space. Lol

• 1Like
Reactions: MV2
Peat is still the weakest link on the OL (though lets see how Easton looks), but his bad plays are only magnified due to the much better talent around him. Peat is an average starter quality player. Nothing wrong with that. As Slaw mentioned, this is still a Top 10 OL.

Nothing about Peat is above average except for the size of his caboose, but he is an average starter. That's fine. His biggest problem, and one of the things that has the Saints so frustrated with him, is the mental side of things. Lapses in mental processing on field, not keeping up at times, etc. Wildly inconsistent even pre-injury.
I've gotten flamed a few times in relation to Peat. I think he is average at best. He may have a few good plays or good games, but he never dominates for long stretches. I've always felt like conditioning is an issue for him. If I ever see him get a penalty he also looks exhausted at that moment. He's got to play through that better. I do respect him for playing through his hand injury, but I don't think he is a long term solution at guard. Sometimes the requirements of the position just seem unnatural to him. People raved about his versatility, but the amount of shuffling he did at the beginning of his career had a negative effect on his development in my opinion. He's never mastered any position at the NFL level.

Watched the Saints-Vikings game 1 from 2017 where he played LG.

Based on that small sample size, Easton's different on film from what I've assumed based on general comments. He's not nearly as poor a run blocker as people have suggested and, while he's no Jahri Evans, he holds his own in power type plays. Where he gets into trouble on runs is power plays against nifty players, in this case Rankins. He did better against Onyemata and Davison. He pulls well enough, though isn't an exceptional mover, just good enough, slightly above average if your glassess are particularly rose-tinted. Effort is good and has a enough of a mean streak to safisfy.

Pass pro is solid enough though his feet aren't exceptional either. Good enough is fair, but has trouble with quick 3 techs but generally recovers just about well enough and forces the 3 wide enough to get fouled up with the LT. Looks stout enough v bull rush and doesn't seem to give too much ground. Stonewalled Rankins on a few occasions when Rankins tried it. Likes that when he has no work in front of him, he finds someone to hit and doesn't hold back.

In the main, he's solid but not spectacular. Looks more like 315 than 300. Assuming he's past his injury problems, plug and play solid, decent starter but nothing beyond that. Haven't seen him at center but I assume games there would tell much the same story.

You can sorta see a scenario where Easton might replace Peat when he becomes a free agent next year, and Tom slides into center. Peat is costing around $9m this year I think. We have other players to pay.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom