Nick Easton? (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
I don't get why many on the board are down on Easton. When he played last year, I thought he was @ least as good as Peat (maybe just a bit under him), and was kinda sad to see Peat playing again. If it's because he's a backup making a very good salary, then ok. But, you always need good depth on the team. It's seems to be a lock that Warford will either be a June 1st cut, or traded. Payton has already said that Ruiz wasn't drafted to sit the bench. If Warford is gone, then you need someone to be good enough to come in and lose nothing on the O-line.

So, my question is what is it about him that people here don't like? Is it just his higher salary? Or, do ya'll see something in his play that I'm missing? There is a reason he was brought in on the salary he has by the Front Office and Management (including, Payton). They apparently like him, or wouldn't they have said something about him as well? Besides, who do we have behind him who can give the same effort in not only reps, but as a backup? Surely, it can't be the UDFA's we signed.

If they were to get rid of Easton, and Warford, I would be highly worried. Both Armstead and Peat are both kinda injury prone. You need depth especially on the O-line. And, on our team, because of Drew's height, you need great interior players even over Tackles.

I don't get why many on the board are down on Easton. When he played last year, I thought he was @ least as good as Peat (maybe just a bit under him), and was kinda sad to see Peat playing again. If it's because he's a backup making a very good salary, then ok. But, you always need good depth on the team. It's seems to be a lock that Warford will either be a June 1st cut, or traded. Payton has already said that Ruiz wasn't drafted to sit the bench. If Warford is gone, then you need someone to be good enough to come in and lose nothing on the O-line.

So, my question is what is it about him that people here don't like? Is it just his higher salary? Or, do ya'll see something in his play that I'm missing? There is a reason he was brought in on the salary he has by the Front Office and Management (including, Payton). They apparently like him, or wouldn't they have said something about him as well? Besides, who do we have behind him who can give the same effort in not only reps, but as a backup? Surely, it can't be the UDFA's we signed.

If they were to get rid of Easton, and Warford, I would be highly worried. Both Armstead and Peat are both kinda injury prone. You need depth especially on the O-line. And, on our team, because of Drew's height, you need great interior players even over Tackles.

I just rather keep Warford instead of Easton. If we are going to lose Warford I'd want to keep Easton.

I'd rather have the starter quality guy compete then the backup. Easton won't push McCoy and Ruiz.

It's not a given Warford is gone. I think it's very likely they want him to be there to compete. Just giving the young guys the job isn't in their best interest imo. If they need money I do think that is the position where they will try to create it. For the difference in cap savings (~3 mil) I think it's well worth keeping Warford.

Getting rid of both would be a problem to me.

EDIT: Welp oh well. So long Warford.

Last edited:
He was originally brought in because Unger retirement. In the draft we were able to get McCoy, making him a back up in the interior.

This year we got Ruiz to play the interior. Easton being cut saves us $4/M this year.

Nobody is down on him. It's a cap causality move with Ruiz,Peat, Clapp, Tom, Mccoy, Easton, and Warford log jamming Interior linemen.

There is two way this plays out... Warford competes in Training Camp and loses his spot. He either becomes backup or gets trade. If he is the backup... Easton will get cut because his salary is not guarantee

If Warford keeps his spot... Mccoy would probably become the back-up. Easton would get cut.

I just rather keep Warford instead of Easton. If we are going to lose Warford I'd want to keep Easton.

I'd rather have the starter quality guy compete then the backup. Easton won't push McCoy and Ruiz.

It's not a given Warford is gone. I think it's very likely they want him to be there to compete. Just giving the young guys the job isn't in their best interest imo. If they need money I do think that is the position where they will try to create it. For the difference in cap savings (~3 mil) I think it's well worth keeping Warford.

Getting rid of both would be a problem to me.

EDIT: Welp oh well. So long Warford.
I was just fixing to say, we just cut Warford.

Easton can play guard or center, as can McCoy and Ruiz. Warford was guard only and we save millions in cap room. Not a hard decision

That part shouldn't matter since the others can play both. If Ruiz is at center, McCoy is at guard, Warford is the backup and Ruiz gets hurt, McCoy slides over and Warford steps in at guard. The only reason the move makes sense is if we're going to do something with the 7.7 mil we saved this year.

Not being down on Easton but I hope he gets beat out of a backup job! Tell mean e have an even better line!

Easton is staying on the roster but cheaper than Warford. I’m assuming Warford wouldn’t take a pay cut to stay on the roster.

Why would he? Payton has done his best to publicly humiliate him. It's easy to see where Breaux is coming from.

Not to mention he'll probably get a good deal as a free agent. We overpaid for Peat because of the lack of FA options, just imagine what he'll get.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom