Nick Fairley - Can he be a Defensive End? (1 Viewer)

Swampy Saint

Super Forum Fanatic
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I posed this question in another thread.

He looks like he could lose some weight and get to the body style the prototypical DE has.

Here's what we know:
1. He has a great initial burst
2. He's exceptionally strong and can handle centers and guards
3. His initial punch is very good

We already have two stud insiders in Rankins and Davison with Onyamata providing some very good rotation. (I think he's going to make big strides in year 2).

I would think that Fairley would do quite well at controlling the run on the outside and funnel all the traffic back inside.

Thoughts?

I posed this question in another thread.

He looks like he could lose some weight and get to the body style the prototypical DE has.

Here's what we know:
1. He has a great initial burst
2. He's exceptional strong and can handle centers and guards
3. His initial punch is very good

We already have two stud inside insiders in Rankins and Davison with Onyamata providing some very good rotation. (I think he's going to make big strides in year 2).

I would think that Fairley would do quite well at controlling the run on the outside and funnel all the traffic back inside.

Thoughts?

I think Rankins is more likely to play some DE than Fairley. I don't think three any chance Fairley gets moved to the position full time. His strength is on the inside.

I think Rankins is more likely to play some DE than Fairley. I don't think three any chance Fairley gets moved to the position full time. His strength is on the inside.
And I think Onyemata is more likely to play DE than both. He is younger, taller, and more "moldable" as far as technique. Rankins, Fairley, and Onyemata would all be limited to the 5-Tech role by nature of their body type and speed. Playing them at 5-Tech would mean there is only a single NT in the middle and your rush comes from the outside LBs or you are in goal-line just trying to beef up your front.

Personally I think we keep all three of them on the inside rotating for fresh push up the middle and scoop a speed rusher to come around the edge in the draft. If we add anyone to DT or move anyone, I would hope it would be the Nose Tackle position instead of the 3-Tech.

I agree with most who have already posted. He is a great disruption in the middle and the combo with Rankins is going to give ppl fits next year if we keep them together. I also like Onyemata and Davidson rotating in. I really like the direction of front four if we can just get a solid bookend we will be solidified.

Its not wrong to think outside the box and think of Fairly to fill that hole but he is so good at what he does i would hate to put him out of that.

He definitely couldn't play weakside end. That needs to be a pure pass rusher type. He might could play strongside, but Rankins probably has more experience. If you put either one at strongside, then you have to move our best player Cam out of his natural position and put him on the weakside.

He definitely couldn't play weakside end. That needs to be a pure pass rusher type. He might could play strongside, but Rankins probably has more experience. If you put either one at strongside, then you have to move our best player Cam out of his natural position and put him on the weakside.

I could see doing some of this in base sets against run heavy teams if we were to draft someone with the body frame of a Tim Williams or Tyus Bowser to be our main speed rusher. Dennis Allen has a history of doing things like that in Denver and Oakland with both Von Miller and Khalil Mack playing SAM backer in some base sets and WDE in the 4-2-5.

Dunno, never seen Fairley dip. I think Rankins can dip, and would like to see him line up at DE 2-3 times a game for shock value.

He can be 3/4 3 tech DE but not in a 4/3 really in any compacity. He has no dip or bend or lateral movement even in containment assignments. He is a 3 tech gap shooter

He can be 3/4 3 tech DE but not in a 4/3 really in any compacity. He has no dip or bend or lateral movement even in containment assignments. He is a 3 tech gap shooter

Exactly. Maybe, in a 3-4, maybe. But absolutely not in 4-3. Plus he's never played the position in the pros & would have to lose a ton of weight. He's awesome where he's at. Hope we're able to lock him down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom