Nick Fairley, set to be a free agent, should get an idea of how his market is shaping up this week (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
fa.gif

By Nick Underhill -- Advocate

Nick Fairley is about to find out what he’s worth.

The Saints defensive tackle’s contract voided last week for the 2017 and 2018 league years, meaning he will be able to test the market and explore his options.

Both New Orleans and Fairley have voiced a desire to stick together after a successful union last season. But that only goes so far. For the two sides to continue this relationship, an agreement must first be reached.

After recording 6 ½ sacks and more than 20 quarterback hits in 2016, Fairley more than rehabilitated his image after a couple down years and whispers that once persisted about his effort level. None of those issues were on display last season, and all the talk both on and off the record has been positive surrounding Fairley.

Full Article -- Advocate

If Fairley gets the $10mil he wants, it won't be in New Orleans. Davison, Rankins and Onyemata will be alright.

I really need Loomis to get creative in guaranteed money, length, and incentives to like a 9M+/yr contract. Hopefully a full year of positive media talks and a good locker room culture has made the ol' Fairley a thing of the past and his effort continues to be at the level it was last year.

Or we let his replacements that we specifically drafted to take over this year do just that. Let the market set it's own value and stop betting on back loaded deals, puh-lease.

Or we let his replacements that we specifically drafted to take over this year do just that. Let the market set it's own value and stop betting on back loaded deals, puh-lease.

If Rankins played the whole season then I would agree with you on that. But it is difficult to expect him to come in and be the starter after missing those games. But signing him to a long term contract wouldn't be so smart either with Rankins waiting in the wings. Just don't want to get rid of talent like that.

Letting Fairely walk would be a big mistake.

I don't think so. Davison is a solid NT and Onyemata is a solid 3 tech. Rankins can play either position. Paying Fairley $10 mil a year would be the mistake IMO.

If Rankins played the whole season then I would agree with you on that. But it is difficult to expect him to come in and be the starter after missing those games. But signing him to a long term contract wouldn't be so smart either with Rankins waiting in the wings. Just don't want to get rid of talent like that.

The fact that Rankins was our first pick of the draft and that his injury was early in the year, not late, means he is a fairly reliable asset on the roster. If he was currently recovering IR I might see your side of the discussion, but he's fit.

At the wrong price, keeping anyone becomes too expensive and a mistake. Check in with New England and how they handled Chandler Jones & Jamie Collins.

Yep, I always try to ask myself "What would Bill do?". Those guys know how to run a team and be successful doing it. You can't argue with results and I'm pretty confident they would not give Fairley anywhere close to $10 mil a year.

I don't think so. Davison is a solid NT and Onyemata is a solid 3 tech. Rankins can play either position. Paying Fairley $10 mil a year would be the mistake IMO.

Onyemata has 0 career sacks in the NFL. Compare that to Fairely's production.

Yep, I always try to ask myself "What would Bill do?". Those guys know how to run a team and be successful doing it. You can't argue with results and I'm pretty confident they would not give Fairley anywhere close to $10 mil a year.

The Patriots have a rock solid culture established, especially on the defensive side. The Saints just fired most of the coaching staff and consistently struggle to field a good defense. We need stability on that side of the ball. Fairely came in and proved himself on the field, he's bought into the organization, and he is in his prime. Letting Fairely walk would be a mistake just like Sproles and Jenkins all over again.

The fact that Rankins was our first pick of the draft and that his injury was early in the year, not late, means he is a fairly reliable asset on the roster. If he was currently recovering IR I might see your side of the discussion, but he's fit.

I am sure he is good to go. Just wondering about game experience in critical times or late in games. Fairley has been around and having another year with Rankins learning little tidbits wouldn't hurt. But, Fairley won't sign a one year deal again and it wouldn't be financial prudent to sign him to a long term contract. Might hurt Rankins development if he don't play as often. Kind of a catch 22, to me that is. Is Rankins ready for a full time starting job? If not then who plays if Fairley leaves?

I like Fairley and I think he deserves 10 mill/yr... if we didn't already have Rankins and Onyemata. I'd be OK with 8/yr with incentives to get him to 10.

7-8m with an incentive of another mil for 8 sacks is the most I would go on Fairley.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom