Nick Fairley (2 Viewers)

If we don't re-sign him and waste our significant amount of cap space on someone else then we deserve to never improve on defense. Him, Davidson and Rankins need to be our interior for at least the next 4 years.

He could possibly play himself out of our Market. He'd have to be willing to accept a team friendly contract (which we'd be smart to give) He's definitely a rotational player...but less effective as a full time starter because he wears down.

The thing is Onyemata has progressed each and every single game I've seen him out there. If he makes the tackle yesterday and there isn't a penalty flag last week I think he has 2 sacks on the season.

So if you've got Onyemata Developing as well as Rankins..... Keeping Fairly becomes almost unjustified. Then again....the Salary for the 3 combined players If it fits and you can get a low level competent NT to back up Davison it would make sense to keep him. They'd terrorize interior Olineman.

If Fairley stays healthy and continues to produce, locking him up for a couple of years has to be our first FA priority as the season winds down.

Saint Nick!
Bringing it. Can't wait till Rankins gets back. Then imagine when Kikaha makes it back next year coming off the edge.

He could possibly play himself out of our Market. He'd have to be willing to accept a team friendly contract (which we'd be smart to give) He's definitely a rotational player...but less effective as a full time starter because he wears down.

The thing is Onyemata has progressed each and every single game I've seen him out there. If he makes the tackle yesterday and there isn't a penalty flag last week I think he has 2 sacks on the season.

So if you've got Onyemata Developing as well as Rankins..... Keeping Fairly becomes almost unjustified. Then again....the Salary for the 3 combined players If it fits and you can get a low level competent NT to back up Davison it would make sense to keep him. They'd terrorize interior Olineman.

Agreed. I look at it much the same way you do. If he was such a great player, injuries alone wouldn't have him on his 3rd team in as many years. It is hard to get great talent, so for the Lions and Rams to just let him go like they did, it doesn't add up. Also take into consideration that for a "great" player on those two teams he hasn't signed contracts that yell "i'm a great player".

He is doing great for us this year, of that there is no doubt, but you can't be too jumpy with giving him that contract.

If we don't re-sign him and waste our significant amount of cap space on someone else then we deserve to never improve on defense. Him, Davidson and Rankins need to be our interior for at least the next 4 years.

Totally agree with you he needs to be a priority signing for next season. With Fairley, Rankins, Davison and Onyemata in that rotation would be pretty stout. Onyemata looks like he is progressing each week. Would we keep Jenkins or let him walk, IDK.

Agreed. I look at it much the same way you do. If he was such a great player, injuries alone wouldn't have him on his 3rd team in as many years. It is hard to get great talent, so for the Lions and Rams to just let him go like they did, it doesn't add up. Also take into consideration that for a "great" player on those two teams he hasn't signed contracts that yell "i'm a great player".

He is doing great for us this year, of that there is no doubt, but you can't be too jumpy with giving him that contract.

Truth be told I think it depends on the improvement of Onyemata. With that being said I'd be more comfy with all 3 in the rotation in a year instead of just two. Especially with Rankins missing half this season. It just wouldn't be a sure thing and 1 injury would have Onyemata starting.

I definitely think 2 players we should immediately resign next season are Fairley and Sterling Moore. I mean immediately. You need to keep that middle class strong.

I know my above post wasn't what people wanted to hear it was just me being objective and also factoring in how expensive he could be should he keep up this work. I don't want to get too crazy with #'s with a 29 year old DT with Stamina issues thats on his 3rd team but I'd love to have him...at the right price.

SMH...saying this like I'm making the moves:jpshakehead:

Truth be told I think it depends on the improvement of Onyemata. With that being said I'd be more comfy with all 3 in the rotation in a year instead of just two. Especially with Rankins missing half this season. It just wouldn't be a sure thing and 1 injury would have Onyemata starting.

I definitely think 2 players we should immediately resign next season are Fairley and Sterling Moore. I mean immediately. You need to keep that middle class strong.

I know my above post wasn't what people wanted to hear it was just me being objective and also factoring in how expensive he could be should he keep up this work. I don't want to get too crazy with #'s with a 29 year old DT with Stamina issues thats on his 3rd team but I'd love to have him...at the right price.

SMH...saying this like I'm making the moves:jpshakehead:

I agree. I'm not saying we shouldn't sign him, just make it a team friendly deal. There is no sense in signing him to a mega dollar contract when he has a history of injury. You are just asking for Keenan Lewis 2.0.

As for Moore. Man, I am not sure if I said anything negative about him when we signed him, but if I did, I take it all back. He has been amazing. One of those, where did he come from? type signings. That guy has been money from the jump. People saying Crawley didn't shut down Julio Jones are right, because Moore played Julio as well, and did a great job.

This defense is taking formation, but it hasn't hit its final form. I imagine with Rankins and Breaux coming back we will make steady improvement, but this offseason after we make a few key pass rusher pickups, and a few linebacker additions, we will be top 10. The playing time guys are getting now (speaking of Moore, Crawley, Stupar, Kruger, etc. guys we weren't counting on) does tremendous things for this team moving forward.

I was against the signing, and I was wrong on this one. He's turned out to be a solid pro and is putting up a strong performance on a bad defense, instead of making excuses.

He's probably our defensive MVP at the quarter pole.

As far as the next contract, he will be 29 in January, but sometimes these sumo-type guys peak a little later. I'd certainly want to keep him if we can. I thought he was an underachiever in these other places, but I've been wrong before.

I will be upset if we lose Fairley for a number of reasons. Number one he has said he is happiest playing near home so as long as we pay him near market value there is no reason to play hardball with him. We are paying near 3 million this year which is highway robbery, and next year year it will be closer to 10 but still worth every penny. Been a long time since someone not named Jordan has been a force on this line , DT's are hard to find, especially ones like Fairley. Lock him up Loomis

Isn't his deal really a three year deal that is voidable after this year?

Why wouldn't they just keep him for the remaining two years on the deal if he keeps performing like this for the rest of the year?

No need to bring in someone else when we've got him for another two years after this season.

EDIT: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/nick-fairley-7728/

According to this, his contract voids in February of 2017. Does it automatically void or is there some language in there that makes it void? If it automatically voids, I'd be all for negotiating a deal with him before February to keep him around playing for his "hometown" team for a few more years into his prime based on his play thus far.

Isn't his deal really a three year deal that is voidable after this year?

Why wouldn't they just keep him for the remaining two years on the deal if he keeps performing like this for the rest of the year?

No need to bring in someone else when we've got him for another two years after this season.

EDIT: Nick Fairley Contract Details, Salary Cap Breakdowns, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

According to this, his contract voids in February of 2017. Does it automatically void or is there some language in there that makes it void? If it automatically voids, I'd be all for negotiating a deal with him before February to keep him around playing for his "hometown" team for a few more years into his prime based on his play thus far.

Its an interesting deal. Its basically a 1 year deal disguised as a 3 year so that we could carry the cap hit over that time. Renegotiating the contract would seem fair vs allowing it to void. Voiding the resigning would just result in us paying him twice like we are currently doing with Jahri Evans who's old contract is still on the books + the one he just signed.

If I'm deciphering that right...could be wrong.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom