Nick fairly expected to test FA (1 Viewer)

It's well within his right to test the market. He had a good year, but he's not an all pro. We had become so used to our dt not getting penetration or sacks that when we finally get someone competent, it is shocking. I would love him to stay, but he can walk if his market value becomes more than his actual worth.

Not to mention we also have Rankins, who had 2.5 less sacks, and he only played in half the games Fairley did.

I was expecting this because nobody knows what is his value. The saints don't know, he doesn't know either so it was obvious he would test the market.

The guy is 29 years old and he just had a very productive year. It's his last chance at a big contract.

The Saints don't have to wait until free agency to offer him a contract. They made the decision to wait until the off season. Given that, I don't blame him for testing the waters. If the Saints wanted negotiate a contract with him, they could've by now. They decided to wait. Don't blame the player for doing the same.

If we give him a fair offer, why would he need to test the market? We took a chance on him when nobody else wanted him, he had his best season in our system, and he is close to home. What more could he want?

This screams money grab, and with his history, I don't want him if he just wants the money.

Fairley, like any free agent will want a high dollar, long term deal. This is a huge gamble given his history of inconsistent effort. The Saints gave him basically a one year "prove it" deal and he played well. There are 10 teams with more than $50 million in cap space going into 2017. The Browns have a mind boggling $108 million in cap room. With so many teams having so much cap space (the Saints have the 21st most cap space in 2017) teams will be massively overpaying even for average free agents.

The Saints should make a Fairley a decent 2-3 year offer with plenty of performance incentives. If a team throws a ridiculous deal at him (likely) then so be it.

The Saints don't have to wait until free agency to offer him a contract. They made the decision to wait until the off season. Given that, I don't blame him for testing the waters. If the Saints wanted negotiate a contract with him, they could've by now. They decided to wait. Don't blame the player for doing the same.

Maybe the saints offered him a contract but he want to know what other teams would offer him.

In his case signing a contract before knowing his value in the market would not be a smart decision by him.

Hypocrisy is rampant.

Know damn well the smart move is to test the market. If the Saints penny pinch, I'd sign elsewhere. But I think we'll be fair.

Not to mention we also have Rankins, who had 2.5 less sacks, and he only played in half the games Fairley did.

Rankings had some sacks but Fairley blew him away in pressures per snap. He was much more efficient.

Losing him would affect us.

The Saints should make a Fairley a decent 2-3 year offer with plenty of performance incentives. If a team throws a ridiculous deal at him (likely) then so be it.

Offer him a fair deal and don't overpay, sure.

But don't kid yourself. Fairley is past having to accept an incentive laden contract. Not going to happen.

As much as I like fairley, I also like what saints are doing . Giving his past he isn't worth 10 million. Someone one will give it to him though. It is up to fairley does he want to win with saints and take the money and play for the browns

His contract last year was designed intentionally for him to hit early free agency this year as he and his agent likely wanted. The only reason for the voided years was so Loomis could spread out his cap hit. I hope he gives Loomis a chance to match whatever another team offers him.

Its just speculation on Hiolders part.
Here's his comment. It did not even come from Fairly's agent, which was my 1st guess.

As for Nick Fairley, the Saints defensive tackle will test the market.

I'd be absolutely stunned if he signed with New Orleans without hearing from many other teams. This will be his last big contract of his career. I don't blame Fairley for a second for trying to make top dollar. I can't see the Saints going into an inflated bidding war with other teams, though.

This means the Saints could have a hole at defensive tackle especially after Fairley played his best football in 2016.
-Larry Holder

The Saints are not without good interior defensive line players. Not having Fairley would hurt the rotation, though. We saw what just happened in the superbowl when defenses get gassed. We would be much better with Fairley than without him in my view.

He is doing the right thing for himself by testing free agency. The Saints probably expected this to happen.

I personally don't want to gamble on him. I just don't see him as being a top DT, sure on our defense he looks good but that's not saying much. I just see him as being to inconsistent throughout his career.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Fairley, like any free agent will want a high dollar, long term deal. This is a huge gamble given his history of inconsistent effort. The Saints gave him basically a one year "prove it" deal and he played well. There are 10 teams with more than $50 million in cap space going into 2017. The Browns have a mind boggling $108 million in cap room. With so many teams having so much cap space (the Saints have the 21st most cap space in 2017) teams will be massively overpaying even for average free agents.

are you for real? How does a team have over half their cap available? I know it is the Browns but jeez, that is mind boggling. My take on the matter is that we should give him a 3 year deal worth a maximum of 7 million a year with incentives to push it up another 3 mil a year if he balls out again. We do have Rankins so the hit would be lessened if he does walk. Or if they are doing the YOLO year, a one year deal for 8 mil guaranteed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom