Nick Saban on Drew Brees when he was in Miami (2 Viewers)

Highly qualified physicians can review the same information and reach different opinions on diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis. It's the reason people seek second and third opinions. Signing Brees in 2006 was a decision that carried some element of risk. Miami chose not to accept the risk. In retrospect, it was the wrong decision.

I don't doubt that the Miami medical team reached a prognosis different from that reached by the Saints' medical team. But we not know the probability differences between the two assessments.

Nonetheless, the notion that not signing Brees doomed Miami and Saban going forward is nonsense. There are always other options. Nick found the road a bit bumpy and bailed. And perhaps he simply realized that he was better suited for college football than pro football.

Naa. It was a conspiracy to p-off LSU fans for 2 generations
Some of us LSU fans are not booty hurt at all. We have done very well in the modern football era. Plus, we are actually tied for the most titles (in all sports) in the SEC. We are more than just a football school. Most importantly, we don’t HAVE to HAVE a title in football to feel some kind of self worth. There’s more to life than just football. Watching your team win a title should be lagniappe, nothing more. However, you are correct, a lot of LSU fans have been severely angered by the success of Alabama football. In their title games, I have rooted for AND against them. Depends on their matchup for me. At the end of the day, you can mostly say that I’m an SEC fan. I want to see our conference be at the top of mountain.

Highly qualified physicians can review the same information and reach different opinions on diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis. It's the reason people seek second and third opinions. Signing Brees in 2006 was a decision that carried some element of risk. Miami chose not to accept the risk. In retrospect, it was the wrong decision.

I don't doubt that the Miami medical team reached a prognosis different from that reached by the Saints' medical team. But we not know the probability differences between the two assessments.

Nonetheless, the notion that not signing Brees doomed Miami and Saban going forward is nonsense. There are always other options. Nick found the road a bit bumpy and bailed. And perhaps he simply realized that he was better suited for college football than pro football.
That and the fact that his best friend Mark Emmert was well on his way to becoming the president of the NCAA. Saban joining Alabama and Emmert becoming the president of the NCAA, is the perfect storm. It’s the same with Robert Kraft and Roger Goodell. Sometimes you just have that friendship and connection that keeps you at the top for an extended period of time. I don’t fault Saban for wanting to coach until he dies. If you have a great system and it’s sustainable, winning championships at a ridiculous rate, then why bow out?😆 He doesn’t even have to coach. He gets the best of the best. That goes for recycled head coaches. Saban is literally a mad genius when it comes to the college level. Have to say that he is the undisputed GOAT. Just impressive what he has put together.

Many thanks to Nick Saban for delivering Drew Brees to us….he is the defensive version of Steve Spurrier…..and while most LSU fans hate him, I think he deserves credit for putting LSU back on the elite recruiting path….

I think he deserves credit for putting LSU back on the elite recruiting path….

Without Nick Saban, LSU continues to be a purple and gold version of Arkansas.

Without Nick Saban, the Saints never win a Super Bowl.

As an LSU/Saints fan, I'm happy with the outcome.

Didn't he also draft a running back over Rodgers? Just an excuse, he failed at the pro level no if ands or buts

"What if" scenarios are fun to discuss and wonder. Brees probably would not have the same success as he would here with the Saints. He wouldn't have the offense that cater to his success. Keep in mind somethings. I don't think Brees wanted to come to New Orleans. Payton had already said New Orleans was not his choice to begin with. I can't blame Saban for this because he was going by what their doctors said. Coming from a horrible shoulder injury, most of you had your major doubts too. Beside the Dolphins, it turn out great of everyone involve. Brees and Payton choosing New Orleans as the only and last decision turns out to be the best decisions they ever made. Us as fans who had the doubts can look back and say how wrong we were. For both New Orleans and Miami, it was the right the decision at the time.

Some of us LSU fans are not booty hurt at all. We have done very well in the modern football era. Plus, we are actually tied for the most titles (in all sports) in the SEC. We are more than just a football school. Most importantly, we don’t HAVE to HAVE a title in football to feel some kind of self worth. There’s more to life than just football. Watching your team win a title should be lagniappe, nothing more. However, you are correct, a lot of LSU fans have been severely angered by the success of Alabama football. In their title games, I have rooted for AND against them. Depends on their matchup for me. At the end of the day, you can mostly say that I’m an SEC fan. I want to see our conference be at the top of mountain.
Excellent response and this is a Saints board but since I started it I'll respond... First off I am not a Tiger fan.... Don't like or dislike them. Having said that I appreciate your sensibility in this matter. I have never understood some (most?) Tiger fans hating Saban... He brought your program to where it is today. Maybe it would have without him? Don't know but I DO know it was only fair to middlin before him.... Anyway this is a Saints board and I won't go on and on about college football

Excellent response and this is a Saints board but since I started it I'll respond... First off I am not a Tiger fan.... Don't like or dislike them. Having said that I appreciate your sensibility in this matter. I have never understood some (most?) Tiger fans hating Saban... He brought your program to where it is today. Maybe it would have without him? Don't know but I DO know it was only fair to middlin before him.... Anyway this is a Saints board and I won't go on and on about college football
Absolutely correct, Saban brought LSU back to prominence. Technically it was Dinardo, but Saban took us to the mountain top. How can anyone not marvel in what he has done?!?! Kinda wish he wasn’t doing this at Bama, but can’t cry over spilled milk. Kudos to them for taking him away from the NFL. Now, I don’t believe a word that Saban says or believe that he is genuine, but he is one helluva salesman for sure. He has mastered how to manipulate or persuade these young kids to sign on. That’s his job to get the best of the best and he nails it! Every year, I pretty much pencil Alabama as the National Champions before they even play a game😆. That is just brutal honesty.

If you are into "What If's," Bill Barnwell does a deep dive on various Brees scenarios and how they all changed the history of college/pro football. Worth the read:

"What if" scenarios are fun to discuss and wonder. Brees probably would not have the same success as he would here with the Saints. He wouldn't have the offense that cater to his success. Keep in mind somethings. I don't think Brees wanted to come to New Orleans. Payton had already said New Orleans was not his choice to begin with. I can't blame Saban for this because he was going by what their doctors said. Coming from a horrible shoulder injury, most of you had your major doubts too. Beside the Dolphins, it turn out great of everyone involve. Brees and Payton choosing New Orleans as the only and last decision turns out to be the best decisions they ever made. Us as fans who had the doubts can look back and say how wrong we were. For both New Orleans and Miami, it was the right the decision at the time.
I read Brees’s book in 2010 and he says New Orleans would have been his last choice. I also recall he pushed Saban on the phone for one last answer, and Saban kept mentioning the doctors, whereas Payton simply said he was the guy.

Absolutely correct, Saban brought LSU back to prominence. Technically it was Dinardo, but Saban took us to the mountain top. How can anyone not marvel in what he has done?!?! Kinda wish he wasn’t doing this at Bama, but can’t cry over spilled milk. Kudos to them for taking him away from the NFL. Now, I don’t believe a word that Saban says or believe that he is genuine, but he is one helluva salesman for sure. He has mastered how to manipulate or persuade these young kids to sign on. That’s his job to get the best of the best and he nails it! Every year, I pretty much pencil Alabama as the National Champions before they even play a game😆. That is just brutal honesty.
DiNardo’s success came from Curley Hallman recruits. Saban made LSU a national contender again.

Miles did alright but his title came with Saban’s recruits. 2011 was Les’ baby, but he couldn’t seal the deal.

Coach O built that 2019 team, but the jury’s still out on if he can do it again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom