Nick Underhill: Saints should “unequivocally” try to trade for the Raiders’ Hunter Renfrow (1 Viewer)

Ellis is not a good example. He was with us for years and had played snaps many times before. So his familiarity with our system helped him to succeed. Signing a vet off the street when an injury hits should be a last resort. No excuse to not have better talent at LB in the building now.
Actually, prior to last season, Ellis had about 200 defensive snaps in his career. That's about 6 snaps a game. Not that many snaps at all.

Second, his familiarity in the system did not register as a factor with all the people posting last year almost exactly as you've done here: "I don't recognise the quality of our backup LBs, therefore we MUST sign someone NOW." Wrong then, quite likely wrong now.

And to the point of signing vets off the street, actually it's not a last resort. It happens a lot. And there are not that many real intricacies to playing LB in the NFL that a vet on the market won't be grounded/experienced in.

Don't worry, we don't have to agree. I know that no one liked our back up LBs last year, they were incorrect. I know that no one liked the idea of Werner taking over at LB before that, they were wrong. Signing Johnny Name Recognition at the position might make us fans feel good, but it doesn't seem to matter to the pros.

Actually, prior to last season, Ellis had about 200 defensive snaps in his career. That's about 6 snaps a game. Not that many snaps at all.

Second, his familiarity in the system did not register as a factor with all the people posting last year almost exactly as you've done here: "I don't recognise the quality of our backup LBs, therefore we MUST sign someone NOW." Wrong then, quite likely wrong now.

And to the point of signing vets off the street, actually it's not a last resort. It happens a lot. And there are not that many real intricacies to playing LB in the NFL that a vet on the market won't be grounded/experienced in.

Don't worry, we don't have to agree. I know that no one liked our back up LBs last year, they were incorrect. I know that no one liked the idea of Werner taking over at LB before that, they were wrong. Signing Johnny Name Recognition at the position might make us fans feel good, but it doesn't seem to matter to the pros.
For me it's just the lack of time in an NFL system for our backups. They aren't acclimated to the NFL game yet so I hate to have to depend on them for a long stretch. You honestly think if we lose DD for the season rhat one our backups will keep that position afloat? I don't

Totally agree. All I can say is teams want to keep their good LBs.
Yeah but we didn't draft one either. We drafted a safety when we have many guys to play that position on the roster. LB, besides DT, was the biggest need on defense to me and we haven't addressed it in the draft or FA. Maybe he plans to run a defense with more safeties in the nickel.

Yeah but we didn't draft one either. We drafted a safety when we have many guys to play that position on the roster. LB, besides DT, was the biggest need on defense to me and we haven't addressed it in the draft or FA. Maybe he plans to run a defense with more safeties in the nickel.

I guess it's a good thing the Saints drafted one last year.

I posted this in another thread. I read an article on Saints Wire a couple of weeks ago and he was asked about the LB position, when was he planning to address it. Loomis said they were in no hurry because they liked what they had with D'Marco Jackson. He did look good in preseason last year until he got injured. Loomis may bring someone in later on, who knows. I trust Loomis and the defensive coaches to know if and when we need a LB'er or not.

Ellis is not a good example. He was with us for years and had played snaps many times before. So his familiarity with our system helped him to succeed. Signing a vet off the street when an injury hits should be a last resort. No excuse to not have better talent at LB in the building now.

The only thing Elliss is a good example of, unfortunately, is what happens to a lot of young players (who have tons of potential).....he was injured almost his whole time here, when he finally got healthy he was productive.....similar to MI's early situation but MI tried to play on turf toe....

I do like Renfrow. I followed him since college and I thought he was ideal to play the Lance Moore role with us. A third down/moving the chains receiver.

I would not mind getting him, but at this point, I think a rookie salary is more important as we go on in the following years with already expensive salaries allocated.

What I am thinking right now is that Chris Olave should play a different role next season, with a more complete assignment as a possession receiver at some point, and letting it loose and go deep in other situations.

Olave should be a Reggie Wayne/Tory Holt receiver for us, taking the hard catches at third down when needed.

Always liked Renfro, I would be fine giving up a comp pick for him, he is a proven, quality slot receiver and with our injury history at WR we need all the depth we can get.....
Can't trade a comp pick until it is officially awarded and that won't be until next spring.

Listen to Nick on off the bench this morning. It seems like he was talking about this as it was going to happen rather than just a possibility he was throwing out there. Didn’t exactly say that, but everything I heard pointed towards the fact that something is going on behind the scenes.

Man, if DA is able to pull that off, it's going to make me want to kick Payton in the nads for how long he ignored the position and what DA has done in just 2 seasons. If Olave and Shaheed develop as expected and they do get Renfrow, they may have the best group of receivers the Saints have ever had, which is crazy considering what the Saints had to work with the last few years under Payton.

Pass

He’s not the missing link to a playoff season…

The Saints have been missing a Lance Moore type of receiver for a long time. I think he is the missing piece. Perry might could fill that role, but that's putting a lot of hope in a 6th round draft pick when the Saints have the roster with Renfrow to be legit contenders this season.

Can't trade a comp pick until it is officially awarded and that won't be until next spring.

Ah, thanks for letting me know....perhaps we can trade a 4th or 5th that we have now and the comp pick will replace it.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom