Nick Underhill: Saints should “unequivocally” try to trade for the Raiders’ Hunter Renfrow (1 Viewer)

Tldr; before I thought it was more important to develop our young guys and I was soured by Renfrows 2022, now I see the value a player like him can bring to the 2023 Saints speficially.
Carr and Renfrow mastered running the choice concept together, which was heavily used in Gruden’s offense. It takes a lot of trust and timing between QB and WR to work properly, and like you, I can see the value in bringing him in this year.

The reality is that this is still a new offense for Carr, and the more we can do to speed up his processing of it, the faster we’ll get dividends on that $150m investment. I know it has similarities to what he has run in the past, but he still needs to learn the new terminology and build rapport with his receivers.

Carr and Renfrow mastered running the choice concept together, which was heavily used in Gruden’s offense. It takes a lot of trust and timing between QB and WR to work properly, and like you, I can see the value in bringing him in this year.

The reality is that this is still a new offense for Carr, and the more we can do to speed up his processing of it, the faster we’ll get dividends on that $150m investment. I know it has similarities to what he has run in the past, but he still needs to learn the new terminology and build rapport with his receivers.

I agree. I forgot to look into where he on his contract.

I think we're likely looking to sweeten the deal a little bit for the Raiders to they're incentived to deal with us so we don't have to spend all or more money than we have in the banana stand. From there we just have to use the remainder of his contract and refigure completely based on how he does in 2023 and what his market value is seemed in 2024. I think it's worth it if he can help us move chains. (And not lose the game twice in overtime in a sequence of 3 plays. OK sorry I'll stop. Probably not.)

7ng6ad.gif

Yeah backup LB signing isn’t really necessary when there’s Baun and Jackson. Zack Baun’s going into year 4 now. Explosive pass rusher at Wisconsin. Elliss’ role as a blitzer last year was what Baun was full time in college and how he should’ve been since his rookie year instead of 100% off-ball. He’s had flashes as a traditional LB too, just always had to rotate and share snaps with other backup LBs. I think he’ll be a solid 3rd LB now that the spot is fully his.

It always gets overlooked but Baun was moved to a weak side linebacker after being drafted instead of playing the strong side which is what he's a perfect fit for.

Not sure why, maybe they wanted him to be a full time player or maybe they liked what they had in Ellis. With Ellis gone he's finally moving to the strong side. I know a lot of people have written him off, fairly, but I think he'll surprise people this year.

It always gets overlooked but Baun was moved to a weak side linebacker after being drafted instead of playing the strong side which is what he's a perfect fit for.

Not sure why, maybe they wanted him to be a full time player or maybe they liked what they had in Ellis. With Ellis gone he's finally moving to the strong side. I know a lot of people have written him off, fairly, but I think he'll surprise people this year.
Is he moving to the strong side or is that just our speculation?

Exactly. The Saints have taken the square peg round hole approach to defensive players far too often for my liking. I can't think of a time when it worked. The most infuriating instance being the Eagles showing the Saints how they should have used Malcolm Jenkins before ultimately bringing him back on the downside of his career.

Exactly. The Saints have taken the square peg round hole approach to defensive players far too often for my liking. I can't think of a time when it worked. The most infuriating instance being the Eagles showing the Saints how they should have used Malcolm Jenkins before ultimately bringing him back on the downside of his career.
Right. Everyone before the draft "he's a safety at the next level." Saints use him as an alright CB, Eagles sign him and move him to the position where he should have been playing from the start and he turns into a pro bowl safety and leader of their defense. Cool. Good job Payton.

Jenkins is on the record as saying the reason he played better with the Eagles is due to the Saints letting him walk. He said it was a wake up call and motivated him to work harder and play better. The Eagles mostly used Jenkins the same way the Saints did.
Right. Everyone before the draft "he's a safety at the next level." Saints use him as an alright CB, Eagles sign him and move him to the position where he should have been playing from the start and he turns into a pro bowl safety and leader of their defense. Cool. Good job Payton.
The Saints moved Jenkins to safety and played him as a safety starting in his second year which was 2010. His rookie year is the only year he was used as a CB.

This is not my recollection at all. I remember him being a good safety for the Saints.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom