Nielsen takes Falcons DC job (1 Viewer)

Sorry I disagree... I am saying he was playing better after Werner came back. I took it as Werner still recovering. But before the injury Werner was playing pro bowl level. And this coming from a Werner fan.
Different LB positions and responsibilities. If we keep Elliss (hope we do), Werner takes over DD's role. What's funny is we never played Baun in that Elliss role...when that was his specialty at OSU.

Hell, the results of the season are fact. Not my opinion. Rishard was Seattle’s DC. He did a pretty hood job there. Allen could have given him the DC job. But no. He’s too danged hard headed.

Well, he learned from the best in Payton as far as being hard-headed. But, outside of the last 2 minutes, DA's pretty good at calling the defense. Running that part back isn't the worst thing.

Different LB positions and responsibilities. If we keep Elliss (hope we do), Werner takes over DD's role. What's funny is we never played Baun in that Elliss role...when that was his specialty at OSU.
Well I am hoping we do keep Ellis. Braun is actually a good player but in a wrong system. He had his moments too.

Hell, the results of the season are fact. Not my opinion. Rishard was Seattle’s DC. He did a pretty hood job there. Allen could have given him the DC job. But no. He’s too danged hard headed.

I think DA not relinquishing play calling duties may have more to do with him building up his resume when the inevitable does happen and he’s dropped as a head coach. A defense that’s consistently top rated would look good on anyones resume especially since you’re still calling plays for that defense and have been for years.

Well this has been a few years in the making. I'm surprised we were able to keep him as long as we did considering what he was able to do with the D line early in his career. But the past few years the D line hasn't been great shakes. He was elite when the front was absurdly stacked. Since then it's been a mixed bag.
I don't believe Nielsen is solely to blame for the regression of the D-Line. We have bled talent the past few years by letting good players leave through free agency and trading away talent like Malcolm Brown. Now we're down to starting players that were or are undrafted free agents. We've lost Sheldon Rankins, Trey Hendrickson and Malcolm Brown. Just those 3 players made our D-Line practically elite.
I don't like it at all, but you can't blame Nielsen for taking t he Atlanta DC position when he's going to have complete control of the defense, which he didn't have here. I do wish him luck.

Last edited:
I think DA not relinquishing play calling duties may have more to do with him building up his resume when the inevitable does happen and he’s dropped as a head coach. A defense that’s consistently top rated would look good on anyones resume especially since you’re still calling plays for that defense and have been for years.
Yeah, but stacking wins would look even better. What kind of idiot would concentrate on building a defense that was already good while simultaneously destroying a god offense. He’s asking for trouble. He’s lucky he’s in an organization that’s so faithful to its employees that nothing short of murder it seems will make them fire anyone.

Sounds about right for Davenport to go to the Falcons and turn his career around with the enemy without the “two 1sts” pressure on his shoulders

He’d either get hurt when he played us or be hurt and out for the game. 3rd option is he would just disappear like Casper.

An underrated by-product of DA’s silly “co-defensive coordinator” structure - people at important positions can now leave for promotions.

This could have been avoided if he just named someone defensive coordinator like a normal, non-passive coach would.

Okay, so, new dream scenario. Richard as DC, who crushes it just enough to get a HC job elsewhere in 2024, thus netting the Saints a compensatory 3rd round draft pick. Saints part ways with DA and bring in 2024 best O oriented HC candidate who has the SP trade draft picks, saints original draft picks, and the extra compensatory 3 and any others netted through FA losses this off season to retool in a meaningful way in 2024 and beyond.

A girl can dream.

Welp, this aged badly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom