Nielsen takes Falcons DC job (1 Viewer)

How so? A leader's job is to develop an understudy to move onto bigger roles.
No he gave two highly talented coaches CO-DC roles with no play calling. Which is pretty much a title with no benefits. Only for him to only focus on defense and let every other part of the team fall apart. (Running game, offense, special teams, etc)

No he gave two highly talented coaches CO-DC roles with no play calling. Which is pretty much a title with no benefits. Only for him to only focus on defense and let every other part of the team fall apart. (Running game, offense, special teams, etc)

If worked, they have both got interviews and now one a promotion.

You said it, “bigger roles”, i.e. a HC gig.

Not losing a promising coach to a rival because of your own ego needing to be stroked by retaining defensive playcalling duties.
Bingo.

He didn’t develop them. He didn’t even let them do their job. When you have three DCs you have none because he was actually calling the defense. He’s also the reason the offense was such a slugfest. He turned a locomotive into a wooden burner. Granted it wasn’t the bullet train under Payton last year either, but Payton didn’t have any QBs after Winston and Hill went down. DA knew Winston wasn’t fully healthy and trotted him out there anyway to begin the season. He should have started AD then and brought Jameis back Week 4 or 5. Then he took the guy’s job completely away from him when he was healthy. Losing left and right with AD. Just wow. How do you keep a guy like that at the helm of your team?

You said it, “bigger roles”, i.e. a HC gig.

Not losing a promising coach to a rival because of your own ego needing to be stroked by retaining defensive playcalling duties.

Bingo.
This!! DA didn’t need to call the plays of defense. When he got hired he even backed off the idea, since we like have two other DCs. I guess he realized if he didn’t call plays on defense, he would have to be a real HC. Which he showed what that looks like in Oakland. This why if the team fails, he can say “ but the defense was great”. I’ve been saying this since he got hired, DA is playing a dangerous game and only looking out for himself when he gets fired at HC.

Co-DC to DC with play calling is a step up.
You’re missing my point, he should’ve never been a “co-DC” to begin with. He should’ve been the outright DC with defensive playcalling duties the minute Allen got handed the HC title.

Like the old saying “if you have 2 starting QB’s, you have none”? Well we had 2 DC’s and were about to have none once Richard gets plucked too.

Maybe. But, everyone thought the secondary play would decline when Glenn left. It Didn't. As long as Allen is around, the secondary will be good.
DA can’t run the whole danged show, which he tried to do and failed miserably. PC was running DA’s offense, not not Sean Payton’s. He scrapped Payton’s offense. That offense looked worse than Jim Mora’s.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom